Essential MTB trail building tools

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Which mountain bike trail building / maintenance tools do you consider essential for bike clubs to own? I’m mostly thinking hand tools since these are generally much more affordable, but interested to know about any tools that are really important for a club to own.

In my experience most maintenance can be done with hand tools as you mentioned ie. clippers, sheers, shovels/rakes. Of course, other tools like chainsaws and weed/hedge trimmers are also essential, I’ve even seen leaf blowers used to clear the dense leaf piles that affect the trails in late fall. In terms of big stuff, a brush mower is very handy for spring, summer, early fall. The grass and other vegetation get so big the trails almost grow shut. A brush mower does wonders on field sections or trails that have dense flora. They’re far more powerful than a standard lawn mower so they would probably work well for clearing space for new trails as well.

In addition to the usual shears and saws, for hand-building new trail (or rerouting, or even sometimes just repairing), the essential tools are the Pulaski and McLeod

Pulaski (originally developed for woodland firefighting):
      http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2010/08/16/SRX_pulaski_11_t720.jpg?4300b9f4319d5e38a4b20485455f63453b46db5a

MeLeod (originally designed as a gardening tool):
      http://drystonegarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mcleodfiretool.jpg

Favorite singular tool is a Rogue Hoe 60A. Can use it like a McLeod, kind of like a Pulaski in a pinch, and makes a great rock pick. Not quite as effective as each of those tools individually but one tool that can do the job of a few is great when you’re toting tools a few miles into the woods. Made in Cabool, MO from repurposed agricultural discs. At least used to be, so super durable but damn tough to sharpen. Discounts for IMBA members if you buy from their site too.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.