Escaping the Dreary Confines – Shakedown Run

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

My buddy and I did our first bikepacking shakedown run today in preparation for a future ride in the George Washington National Forest. Write up at the link below.

http://escapingthedrearyconfines.wordpress.com/

Looks like you are pretty well prepared. Have you picked a route in the GWNF yet?

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Looks like you are pretty well prepared. Have you picked a route in the GWNF yet?

We still have a few things to sort out. We’re planning another test run in the next couple of weeks.

Our ride plan is to use Douthat as "base", but only to park the car. We are thinking of going up Stony Run to Middle Mountain, along the ridge, down Middle Mtn North and then up Brushy Ridge and Little Mare to set up camp.

I’m told there are some pre-existing sites/fire rings up on Little Mare, but I have no idea where they are. I was also told that Little Mare is pretty tough, so I am not sure how far we’ll get with that being toward the end of the ride. I’ve seen a video of Brushy Ridge and it looks like a great trail. Should at least be a lot of fun coming back down!

Depending on how we feel, the following morning we’ll continue north to explore a bit more before heading back to the car. Several return options that I guess we will decide on when the time comes.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":2gximdqq]Looks like you are pretty well prepared. Have you picked a route in the GWNF yet?

We still have a few things to sort out. We’re planning another test run in the next couple of weeks.

Our ride plan is to use Douthat as "base", but only to park the car. We are thinking of going up Stony Run to Middle Mountain, along the ridge, down Middle Mtn North and then up Brushy Ridge and Little Mare to set up camp.

I’m told there are some pre-existing sites/fire rings up on Little Mare, but I have no idea where they are. I was also told that Little Mare is pretty tough, so I am not sure how far we’ll get with that being toward the end of the ride. I’ve seen a video of Brushy Ridge and it looks like a great trail. Should at least be a lot of fun coming back down!

Depending on how we feel, the following morning we’ll continue north to explore a bit more before heading back to the car. Several return options that I guess we will decide on when the time comes.[/quote:2gximdqq]
      I’d try and get as much of the weight up front as you could. My experience with hauling a chain saw on a rack and a big backpack for saw gear has found my front end wanting to wheelie up on climbs. It can become a constant balancing act and the weight distribution really affects how your bike will handle in those GWNF rock gardens.

Brushy is good and fairly technical towards the top – be prepared for some hike a bike going up. Little Mare is on my to do list – near the top. I hear it is pretty good. Sounds like a good time – we expect a ride report. 😃

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

I’d try and get as much of the weight up front as you could. My experience with hauling a chain saw on a rack and a big backpack for saw gear has found my front end wanting to wheelie up on climbs. It can become a constant balancing act and the weight distribution really affects how your bike will handle in those GWNF rock gardens.

Brushy is good and fairly technical towards the top – be prepared for some hike a bike going up. Little Mare is on my to do list – near the top. I hear it is pretty good. Sounds like a good time – we expect a ride report. 😃

On the test run, I packed my sleeping pad and blanket (probably leaving the "bulky" sleeping bag behind) in a 10L dry sack. Even with just that it was pretty full, so my plan is to buy a 20L dry sack and see what else I can get in there to pack up front. Probably other items I want to make sure to keep dry like clothing. We have Revelate Slings coming to fasten everything down on the front end, plus we got "Pockets", which will allow me to pack some more small items up front. After lask week’s ride, I’m definitely looking to get some of the weight off my back. Not planning to take the chainsaw this time around. 😃

"fleetwood" wrote

On the test run, I packed my sleeping pad and blanket (probably leaving the "bulky" sleeping bag behind) in a 10L dry sack. Even with just that it was pretty full, so my plan is to buy a 20L dry sack and see what else I can get in there to pack up front. Probably other items I want to make sure to keep dry like clothing. We have Revelate Slings coming to fasten everything down on the front end, plus we got "Pockets", which will allow me to pack some more small items up front. After lask week’s ride, I’m definitely looking to get some of the weight off my back. Not planning to take the chainsaw this time around. 😃

A lady with the Forest Service that I use to help some with trailwork told me that "she loves mountain bikers, they can just throw a saw on the back of their bike and ride" – not having any idea how much pain that causes us. 😆 😆

Ran into this setup on MTBR – this guy is "gearing" up for the Continental Divide on a singlespeed. Didn’t know if you had seen his setup
      http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/divide-i … 89418.html

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.