Equipment Upgrade Assistance

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone know of any programs in Utah or in the mtb community to help people upgrade their bike? I’m wanting to upgrade since the bike that I have is incapable of taking the trails I want to ride on, but I don’t have the money to buy a brand new bike. I’m looking for a full suspension bike with hydraulic disc brakes and an slx/x7 groupset or better. I know that’s asking a lot, but that’s what I need for what I want to do. I just also happen to be a starving college student. Any suggestions?

U try KSL Classifieds?

I’ve tried there and Craigslist… People seem to want to sell at near msrp…

So I’ve learned that many people ask way more than they should for their used bike b/c they’re either not that motivated to move their bike and they’re just trying to see if someone will bite on an over-inflated price or they really don’t appreciate how much a used bike depreciates regardless of how old their bike is or how meticulous they were in caring for it. When buying used, you might as well offer what you can afford as long as it’s reasonable. I don’t know what your budget is, but I’d just shoot someone an offer. The worst that can happen is they say no. When they say no, at least they know an offer is on the table so when they get serious or find out their bike isn’t as wanted as they thought, they’ll come around.

That’s a good point. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Try a Mongoose XR Pro 29er. Decently priced with decent equipment and its upgradable as you break things. I absolutely love mine. Only thing you will need to upgrade right off the bat is the rear shock which is nothing more than an undampened spring. </p>

I understand your issue.  I have been wanting to upgrade my bike for the past three or four years.  I saved my money and called a lot of bike stores in my state and area.  Told them I would pay cash for the bike and the prices dropped dramatically.  I purchased a $1299 bike for 20% off and he gave me $300 for my old bike.  The only reason I got that price was because he had to match and beat a price I got from a dealer on the other side of the state.  Take your time, be patient and play the stores against each other.

When money is tight the best time to buy a used bike is in the fall too, I know it sucks to wait all summer but you can score some great deals then.  Good luck.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.