Entry level XC

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and would like some input on the bike I plan on purchasing. I am in the market for a XC bike with a price tag under $1000. Right now I am looking at a 2014 Trek X-Cal 8 ($899) from my LBS. Is this a good entry level bike or should I be looking at others? I will be riding pavement about 25% of the time with trail riding the other 75%. I’m not going to be doing anything too crazy on the trails but there are small drops, roots, logs and moderate ascents and descents. Thanks for the input!!

If specs are similar to stated, I think it’s an awesome bike to get started on. If your plans are to remain a casual rider, You could just run the parts until they wear out. If, however, you’re considering on riding a lot of rooty, bumpy ST, that pogo stick fork is a great candidate for replacement.

I would be remiss if I didn’t suggest that you give a cursory glance at your local Craigslist, as you can sometimes find 3x the bike for the same price.

The specs are very similar however they are not exact. The fork is not as good as the 2015 and the drive train isn’t 2×10. I have looked on craigslist and found bikes that are better however at my LBS they do 2 years of maintenance free (labor) and being that I don’t know a whole lot about bikes this is important to me. Also, I am a big proponent of supporting the local guys whether it’s snowboarding, hiking, kayaking, fishing etc…
      Good to hear that it’s a decent entry level bike with a few components I will probably upgrade as time goes on.

Are there any other bikes I should have my eye on around my price point?

The only bike I’m personally familiar with around the specs you’re looking at is the Giant Talon. If you’ve got a Giant dealer near you, you may be able to pick up a 2014 2 or even 1 spec for around what you’re able to get the Trek for.

The Talon I owned was a fantastic bike.

Remember, when you buy a Trek, or most big name bikes, you’re paying for a name. Look at some of the mid level brands that you can get more for your money.

"schwim" wrote

"If, however, you’re considering on riding a lot of rooty, bumpy ST, that pogo stick fork is a great candidate for replacement."

If you have the 2014 model with the RockShox XC32 fork on it, then there is good news. The RockShox XC32 is a very capable fork. The internals are almost identical to my RockShox Tora. These forks tend to have somewhat weak damping is stock form because they are originally meant for XC use. However, if you upgrade to a heavier duty spring, and install a RockShox MOCO Adjustable Compression Damper; these forks become very capable. ** Note… Make sure to get the correct spring appropriate for your weight.

These are both inexpensive and very easy upgrades. These upgrades greatly reduced "pedal bob" and "brake dive". It also improved my riding efficiency by reducing wasted energy when I stand up to mash the pedals going up hills.

Here is a link for the RockShox MOCO Damper:
      http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Argyle-A … roduct_top

Here is a link to one of my blog write-ups on this awesome upgrade:
      http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2014 … -rock.html

What are some suggestions that I could look into that are lesser known brands that have the same specs that I’m looking at right now (I’m a complete noob when it comes to this). I also would like to buy from my LBS because I know how well it was taken care of and don’t trust craigslist because I’m not sure what all to look for when looking at a used bike.

"powderchaser" wrote

What are some suggestions that I could look into that are lesser known brands that have the same specs that I’m looking at right now (I’m a complete noob when it comes to this). I also would like to buy from my LBS because I know how well it was taken care of and don’t trust craigslist because I’m not sure what all to look for when looking at a used bike.

We could suggest brands all day, but if you’re dealing with a particular LBS, then you’re restricted to brands they sell. You would be best served to ask [i:2f0qau5f]them[/i:2f0qau5f] since they won’t sell you a bike we suggest but they don’t carry.

"schwim" wrote

We could suggest brands all day, but if you’re dealing with a particular LBS, then you’re restricted to brands they sell. You would be best served to ask [i:u89adfon]them[/i:u89adfon] since they won’t sell you a bike we suggest but they don’t carry.

They carry cannondale, giant, trek and specialized. They all seem to be priced around the same when compared to the 2014 XCAL 8…

At your pricepoint, I would suggest either the Giant or Trek. Both brands make great entry-level rides, while in my personal experience, Specialized and Cannondale offerings didn’t shine until you got into their mid-level offerings. The reason, I suspect is that both Trek and Giant build bikes for a lot of brands and they have numbers on their side to push down the cost of better parts, while Specialized and Cannondale both seem to lack that.

That being said, I’ve owned a Giant Talon, Yukon FX and Anthem and 66.666(repeating)% of the frames failed. If you’re the original owner, this is no big deal as they have a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser. If like me, you buy secondhand, you get to turn them into wall art.

I bought a Charge Cooker (smaller company out of England trying to break into the US market) and got a great bike for the money. If I didn’t buy the Charge, I would’ve gone with a Giant over the Trek due to liking its frame more. See if your shop will let you test ride the bikes and see which feels better. I’m fortunate to live in the metro-Atlanta area where bike shops are plentiful and had several to choose from. If you have more to choose from, don’t hesitate to drive a little further for a shop that sells different brands.

So I can get a 2013 Specialized Carve Comp 29er in very good condition for $800. The specs are better than what I was looking at but don’t know much about it otherwise. Sound like a good deal?

Haha, Recon Gold, Elixir 1’s 2x drivetrain? for $800? [i:23h58cpm]TAKE MY MONEY![/i:23h58cpm]

I am purchasing my bike this week and I have narrowed it down to two different models both 29er HT. First, TREK 2013 SuperFly Al ($900) – this is a used bike off craigslist and it is in good condition. Or, 2014 TREK X-Cal 8 ($900) brand new. I know the superfly has the better components/fork but if i buy from my LBS I get 2 years free maintenance. Any advice is appreciated.

There’s so many aspects that come down to personal preference, it’s really going to come down to what’s more important to you. If you hold LBS-performed basic maintenance in high regard, then that’s going to be a very important thing to keep in mind. If you’d much rather have a full suspension higher-kitted bike, then you’re not going to want to go with the hardtail. If you’re afraid of buying used, then stick with the guys at the store.

That being said, anyone who knows me can tell you’d I’d pick up the used higher end bike every time. Maintaining the bike myself is a small price to pay for a higher-end ride.

I appreciate all the responses everyone. It looks like I’ll be going with the X-Cal 8 since the Superfly is too big for me (thought it was a medium). I’m pumped to get it and get back to riding.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out in deciding. I ended up with a 2015 x-cal 8. I love it so far. If any of you guys are in the Fredericksburg area let me know. I’m new to the riding scene here and would love to have a few people to ride with.

That’s fantastic, man. Enjoy it!

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.