Enduro mountain bike racing exploding in Colorado

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

A new type of mountain bike race is storming the high country.

Enduro races — now found almost every weekend and clogged with everyday riders — marry downhill technique with modest cross-country endurance and are opening competition to those who fall shy of Olympic-level fitness.

"The normal person can’t train enough to be competitive in the cross country field anymore," said Dan O’Connell, director of Bike Granby Ranch, which this summer launched an enduro race series. It joined ski areas such as Winter Park, Snowmass and Utah’s Snowbird in offering new school enduro races.

With Lycra-clad superstars clogging most cross country races and heavily armored pros double backflipping through downhill courses, competition for average mountain bikers often is relegated to a few pals pushing one another on weeknight rides. At an enduro race, that timeless "race to the bottom" mind-set becomes legitimate strategy.

Read more here: http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/ci_ … ekly-races

While I only quoted several paragraphs, the entire article is well-worth a read. I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments that it presents: Enduro Racing really does seem to be the perfect blend of fitness challenge and downhill ripping… I know it would fit [i:22cgvi3s]my[/i:22cgvi3s] riding style perfectly. Hopefully this movement continues to gain steam… I would love to compete in one of these Enduro series one day!

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.