Endurance Training/24 HR mentality for a new racer

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

1st off, Incredible website. I am fairly new to serious mountain biking and have no friends who I ride with. I’ve spent the last 4 months training alone throughout NH and a site such as this really gives me hope for the future of the sport.

As I said, I have been doing alot of serious riding since early April. It started with an old Specialized FSR that I picked up on craigslist last year and the fact that married life added an extra 30 lbs, which I quickly wanted to get rid of before my quarter life crisis of parenthood. Well doing all the miles has paid off, Ive sucessfully lost all 30 lbs I intended to. As you might expect, I now suffer from a serious case of MTB fever. I’ve worked up to doing anywhere from 60-200 miles a week depending how I feel from the week prior. I try and mix in road riding quite a bit ( In central NH road riding is more like a gravel track 90% of my rides). Along with running stairs for atleast an hour a week. I have been trying to formulate a good training scedule for the off season thats approaching. I would really like to be in top shape for next March. I have a great desire to compete in endurance rides as well has 12-24 hour races, however I am terrified of the thought of being unprepared for either of these types of events. Can anyone point me in the right direction here… my real question is, how should i formulate a training scedule for the rest of the riding season before winter. And also, what should i specifically target for my winter workouts when it wont be possible to be outside on a bike. Ive always been an athletic person and have never had a problem in devising my own training methods, but as I said I really dont want to underestimate the amount of fitness these races require. Thanks for any replies, keep mashin the petals!

my first race was the Sumter Metric Century in SC last year. to prepare for it I rode a lot of 20-35 mile rides. Should of did a few longer rides. My goal was to finish and have fun which both were achieved. There are 6 hour endurance races that you could consider. In winter you could do spinning classes, maybe take two classes back to back. Also when I lived in MA/NH I rode on snowmobile trails. in a few weeks there is the Hampshire 100 in Greenfield. Could give that a try.

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you’re riding a lot! If you really want to take it up a notch, I’d suggest doing two things first. Get on Amazon and order:
      1 – 24 Solo – movie/documentary about 24hr mtn bike racing. It is awesome. It will both inspire and humble you.
      2 – get these two books: "the mountain bikers training bible" as well as "advanced sports nutrition"

Then read them and start learning.

And definitely start with a few 6hr races. Most intermediate riders can survive a 6hr, and for more advanced riders they are a great way to learn more about yourself, as far as things like pacing, nutrition, etc are concerned.

Also, try and find people to ride with, especially people who are a little faster than you. Best way to meet folks is your local advocacy group. If you don’t know who that is, either google or a local bike shop should be able to help you find out.

Oh, and come down to SC next month and do the Sumter Metric Century ;)

Also see if you can get on to a relay team for a 24 hour race. That way you can ease into it a bit and see if you feel that you can work up to going solo.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.