Electric mountain bikes banned… on NYC streets?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

This seems pretty crazy to me.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/12/25/electric-bike-crackdown-spurs-delivery-worker-concern.html

E-bikes seem well suited to urban deliveries (not to mention commuting,) but apparently pedestrians have a problem with them. Couldn’t they just require every e-bike to have a bell or noise generator or something? And what about the silent Teslas and Priuses sneaking up on people?! 🙂

I think ebikes are going to continue taking a beating from all directions until some big enough corporate names get behind them to purchase enough politicians to get the laws to fall in their favor.

While I’m not overly enthusiastic about e-bikes on trails, I think e-bikes are perfect for urban places where they could be used for non-recreational purposes like commuting or working. It seems to be a pretty big stretch to suggest that e-bikes are dangerous because they are quiet and fast. If you lack the sense of spatial awareness to sense an oncoming bike wouldn’t you be just as vulnerable to cars/trucks, cosmic debris, disgruntled birds? I guess now New York’s finest will be tasked with enforcing the e-bike menace instead of fighting real crime. Again, I just don’t see the necessity for outright ban, as if e-bikes are the antichrist (debatable, maybe) or something. There must be some shady reason for this that we aren’t aware of other than the ‘potential danger.’

Ahhhhh, step one in the demise of e-bikes. ????

The question marks at the end of my comment were actually a smiley face with a wink.  I was in a way hinting at my opinion about e-bikes (i.e. I don’t think they should be allowed on non-motorized trails), but I wasn’t saying that I think they have no place at all on trails.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.