eating the trail

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Do you know the wolfberry? High in anti-oxidants, amino acids and vitamins it grows along trails in the southwest. The Chinese call it Goji berry but the local ones are just as good and tasty and ripe now.
      There are lots of fruits and veggies along the way. Strawberry in late summer and blackberries, raspberries and thimbleberries. Some mustard, ocotillo flowers and pepperweed are good for a spring snack. We even have native onions.
      Planning a wolfberry ride in Marana, AZ May 2, 10am Tortolita Preserve. Take Tangerine Rd west from I-10 to Dove Mtn Rd north to Moore Rd, west 1.3 miles to trail head.

I make a batch of prickly pear cactus jelly, for my scone, every time I’m on the trail. 😃 That actually sounds like a fun ride. I need to get down to Tucson.

The wolfberry ride will be in Marana, AZ on Sunday, May 2@ 10am.
      Tortolita Preserve off Moore Rd. Tortolita Preserve Trail Loop (Dove Mtn). Let me know if U need directions.
      A few are already ripe.

Well, I’m sorry I’m going to miss this one. I will actually be in Illinois for a wedding. I just love the drive thru the endless corn fields, breathtaking! I hope you have a great time.

Now, Desert Hackberries are ripe, light orange berries, taste like tiny watermelons.
      The summer Wolfberries are also ripe, red berries smaller than a pea. They produce less fruit than spring fruiting varieties, less flavor, too. They grow in many low desert areas.
      Prickly pear cactus are ripe.

I only eat what I bring. I’m not knowledgable enough to stay away from the stuff that might kill me.

Back in Maine I used to eat apples and blueberries, but out here I have no clue what’s safe to eat on the trail except deer and elk.

Unfortunately the rifle and camp stove are too heavy to carry on my bike 😆

Saturday 4/14/12 Wolfberry Ride on a really fun trail network, K-Trail! Gold Canyon, AZ 9am. East of Phoenix. Lots of berries on the trails, spring flowers are well past peak. Ocotillos, bladderpods, bahia, wooly stars, desert marigold and purple mats are blooming. PM if interested.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.