Durable Full Suspension

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have been riding for years and got tired of noisy bearings and annual rear suspension maintenance so I moved to riding hardtails.  It has been great, I think I’ve progressed as a rider and I will likely always ride a hardtail but have been considering buying another full sus bike.

My question is what GREAT bikes are there out there in terms of maintenance?  I just like spending more time riding and less time fussing and am looking for a bike that I can ride hard, put away wet and not have a million issues.

Any bike recommendations? (besides clean your bike after every ride blah blah blah… Yeah I get it, not looking for maintenance recs).

I don’t think there is such a thing.  I am like you, I hate maintaining the bike.  Everyone I know who doesn’t do the cleaning and maintenance on a FS has issues even on high end, high $$ bikes.  Its the price of owning full squish,  you have to do the work.

I ended up going with a fat bike with a Lauf Carbonara fork.  Big tires are a little easier on my old body that just a hard tail and the Lauf is a short-travel, zero maintenance fork option.  But I’m not riding huge hits,  super rowdy descents or up massive climbs. I’m in the Midwest so our stuff is pretty tame.

There is no magic bullet out there in terms of a squeak or creak free full suspension bike. There are some manufacturers who do a better job of shielding pivot bearing from dirt and dust. But those are mostly anecdotal, because dirt, dust and mud will always find a way in.

Your best bet is to take some pride in your ride and give it some TLC after a dirty ride. As the old saying goes “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Take care of your bike and you will enjoy many creak and squeak free miles.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.