dumbest fall

Tagged: 

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

I just need to share this with everyone. Last Friday, I was on a flat surface and came upon a root sticking up about an inch. Instead of my tires rolling over it, they went along the side. Usually when I fall, I have a second to swear before going down. Not this time. After I fell, I even noticed that both of my feet were still clipped in. That was the most dumbest fall I have had yet.

That was the most dumbest fall I have had yet.

Yet it takes so much skill to not fall in these situations on a bike………… 😎

That is funny!!! Must have been one of thos Bike magnet roots!

Reminds me of a group road ride I was on once. It was a bunch of us "experienced Riders" we always sign in and out of a ride to make sure everyone is accounted for and nobody gets lost. Well naturally after a long ride you are tiered and not always thinking clearly. One of the guys was chatting with a young lady as they rolled into the sign out tent. He was so pre-occupied he seemed to forget he was clipped in. He rolled up to the table, stopped and slowly fell to the ground next to the table. VERY Embarressed he then unclipped his shoes, Took them off his feet and WALKED to the car. LOL

Now that’s funny!

LOL, now that is funny Eric.

Mine would come from my first few days on clipless pedals. I was trying them out in my driveway (townhouse with shared drive for like 6 houses). I was going really slow cliping and uncliping and came around the corner of the garage and there was a van coming really slowly so I stop in an attempt to let them pass in front of me. Well, I couldn’t get my feet uncliped and proceeded to tip over is the slowest slow motion ever. The van, creaping at like 2 mph doesn’t even stop. I’m laying on the ground looking up and all I can see is the people looking down as they pass just staring at me. Embarassed that I’m laying flat on my back I see them staring and all I can do is wave.

Still makes me laugh to this day… I still wonder how they just drove by without actually asking me if I was ok or anything.

"cdubs1125" wrote

LOL, now that is funny Eric.

Mine would come from my first few days on clipless pedals. I was trying them out in my driveway (townhouse with shared drive for like 6 houses). I was going really slow cliping and uncliping and came around the corner of the garage and there was a van coming really slowly so I stop in an attempt to let them pass in front of me. Well, I couldn’t get my feet uncliped and proceeded to tip over is the slowest slow motion ever. The van, creaping at like 2 mph doesn’t even stop. I’m laying on the ground looking up and all I can see is the people looking down as they pass just staring at me. Embarassed that I’m laying flat on my back I see them staring and all I can do is wave.

Still makes me laugh to this day… I still wonder how they just drove by without actually asking me if I was ok or anything.

I had a similar experience. On my first ride with clipless, I unclipped my left foot as I was coming to a stop, but my bike went to the right. Like you said, it was like slow motion. I fell on my side. All I could do was laugh, but I learned a valuable lesson that day: when stopping, be sure to consciously lean my bike to the same side as my loose foot.

These story’s are great,just got off work and they are releiving the stress like a $50 massage,hahahahaha.

About 10 years ago or so,I had bought a pawn shop 10 speed univega.One day I wanted to see how far I could ride with no hands into downtown denver,started at Alemeda and federal(for those of you that are familiar with denver colorado)and got down to speer and broadway where luck would have it that the one way light was red on speer and I wouldnt have to stop for traffic because that was part of the challenge was to make it all the way down there riding no hands,on the sidewalk even with traffic lights without stopping.I had rode up and over all the curbs without fail so far until I had the biggest audience of about 20 cars all stopped on speer,rode off the curb,which was a little higher than all the other curbs and the front wheel just didnt want to stay straight,wheel wobbled and turned 90 degrees and down I went right in front of all those cars just when the light turned green and my leg was stuck in the frame so I couldnt get up for a minute,I struggled for a minute because my knee was hurting and I kept looking up to make sure everyone seen me so they didnt run me over.Finally got my leg unstuck and limped myself and the bike back to the sidewalk all the while everyone staring at me and all my pockeet change scattered all over the intersection. 😏 ha ha ha…at least I thought it was kinda funny though.

If know one sees it happen, its not a fall right? 😮

Falls like that happen to the best of us using clipless pedals except for me of course. 😃

"eric-29er" wrote

Reminds me of a group road ride I was on once. It was a bunch of us "experienced Riders" we always sign in and out of a ride to make sure everyone is accounted for and nobody gets lost. Well naturally after a long ride you are tiered and not always thinking clearly. One of the guys was chatting with a young lady as they rolled into the sign out tent. He was so pre-occupied he seemed to forget he was clipped in. He rolled up to the table, stopped and slowly fell to the ground next to the table. VERY Embarressed he then unclipped his shoes, Took them off his feet and WALKED to the car. LOL

haha that’s awesome!!!

he must have been under the influenece…

Once I was out doing some interval training on my road bike. I pushed a bit harder than I should’ve on this one uphill and decided I needed to recover for a few minutes, so I roll into the parking lot of an apartment complex for a breather. In case you guys don’t know it already, a parking lot is probably the most dangerous place you can ride a bike. Knowing this, I’m on the look-out for any cars that might be backing out of a space. However… I didn’t see the speed-bump until I was on the ground beside it. I sit up and look at the bike; there’s no real damage, just scuffed up the handlebar tape and the edge of the pedal. Then I notice blood dripping and that my mouth feels funny. Put my fingers up there and find both front teeth broken and blood coming out of my lower lip and a big gash in my chin. 😢 It happened so fast I don’t even know what my face hit, the bar/stem or the pavement. This was my worst crash ever, and I was barely moving at the time.

brianW: I don’t think anyone saw it happen, but I’m pretty sure I fell.

eric-29er wrote:

haha that’s awesome!!!

No Influence and He was a seasoned rider. This guys does 4 1/2 hour centries on a reglar basis. Been riding for years with Clipless. Just had a brain Fart! Yes it was funny. These are all greta stores. Good bit of a laugh

Steve..\
      That pretty impressive riding over curbes with no hands. Good Skils dude. Somehow falls are always worse when there is an audiance. Usually funnyest as well[/quote]

"eric-29er" wrote
      eric-29er wrote:

haha that’s awesome!!!

No Influence and He was a seasoned rider. This guys does 4 1/2 hour centries on a reglar basis. Been riding for years with Clipless. Just had a brain Fart! Yes it was funny. These are all greta stores. Good bit of a laugh

by under the influence i meant under the influence of the female species. and yes, they’re almost like a different species at times…

My husband and I were meeting some friends out on the trail. We had just started riding and my cell phone rang. I had to answer in case it was who we were meeting so we could find out their location. Well, here comes the dumb part. I tipped over. I don’t have clipless pedals, in fact, both feet were on the ground. I was at a complete stop. I just simply tipped over. My husband heard me swear, looked back I was on my side with my bike on top of me. All I can say is, I’m glad my husband didn’t have a camera with him! I had many nasty bruises and no great story to go along with them.

[code:1qn56nrj]Steve..\
      That pretty impressive riding over curbes with no hands. Good Skils dude. Somehow falls are always worse when there is an audiance. Usually funnyest as well[quote]

Thanks dude[/quote][/code:1qn56nrj]

by under the influence i meant under the influence of the female species. and yes, they’re almost like a different species at times…

Yes He would have certainly been under the other species Influence. We have all been there. Kinda like riding into a tree while taking in the scenery

The slow motion/learning clipless were the worst! My first ride out with SPDs(in the early 90s) gave me a giant bruise across my right calf/shin from slomo spills. 😳

We have all had our dumb falls…. My worst was literally getting on my bike, started to go, and just fell over, LOL. My wife enjoyed it a ton…

These stories crack me up, since we have all been there. When I was just getting used to clipless me and Nman were out doing a post work ride. On a short climb, I heard my buddy off to the side at a different spot than we usually depart from the trail. A little startled, I stop pedaling – and down in the brush I went. NMan says "Now thats an interesting way to get off of your bike". All I could do was laugh. 😆

Another riding and bud and I were out on the national forest on a ride. We come to a rocky technical section. I passed on it and pushed through the short stretch of rockieness. He was going to give it a shot. Mounted up and ready to go. Something went awray and he had the best 0.5 mile per hour crash I have ever seen. He went over the bank and landed back first in the rock garden. He couldn’t get up and I ran over to help him. I was afraid he had broke something and it took all both of us could do to get him back up the bank (hes a clydesdale). It was a perfect "I’ve fallen and I can’t get up" episode. He brushed off the rock crumbs and off we went, not a scratch on him. Sometimes you just get lucky.

BFD

Let’s see…Clipped in, rolled two feet, fell right on my head in the parking lot.
      Reset myself in the corner of a switchback to get some speed and climb over a rock garden and instead rolled backwards right off the trail and down the mountain.
      Endo after endo after endo.
      The one that hurt the worst was when I clipped out of my eggbeaters to take a breather and when I clipped in again the opposite pedal flipped around and caught me perfectly in the crook of my knee…that was almost two months ago…it still hurts and the bruise is just now going away…and yes, it looks exactly like I was beaten with an eggbeater.

I’m new to the site. Thanks for the info, the laughs and for letting me join. Here’s my dumbest fall….
      After losing the trail in a remote area, my group of three started blazing a new one. I was the last to reach the edge of a washed-out drop-off about 20-feet high with a slope that seemed pretty close to straight down. Slowing to a crawl, I eased my well ridden and battle scarred Schwinn rigid MB over the edge and did not consider an easier alternate route due to years of riding with my wild and crazy brother Charlie. I wasn’t sure how I’d transition the steep-to-flat at the bottom but figured I make that plan on my way down. Those plans fell apart when a nasty root caught my front tire and launched me over the bike. I’m usually pretty good at tucking and rolling but that rutted slope sprawled me out and I landed on my feet just before the bottom and then slammed into a ball of pain with two ankles that felt beyond broken.
      I was in college and had just enough cash for two doc-in-the-box x-rays. The doc said I didn’t break my ankles but I probably messed up my tendons and ligaments. As I was wheeled out, some big redneck laughed and asked if I fell out of my tree stand. I knew he wasn’t looking for an answer so I just smiled politely and let him enjoy his laugh.
      It was almost three months before I was brave enough to start running. I’m a MTB’er not a runner but running is what finally loosened, healed and strengthened my ankles and got me back on my bike. I’m 99% with an occasional ‘pop’ or ‘snap’ from my right ankle. It’s good to be back on the trails.

Not really a fall, but about a month ago I went through a couple of bermed turns and wanted to go back for another try. My riding buddy was behind me, so I slowly rode back toward the berms as to avoid a collision. I explained to him what I was doing and rode beyond the berms a bit. It was very narrow, so I unclipped, and started turning the bike around. In the process, I cracked my shin against the pedal. As Wilford Brimley might say, it hurt like the dickens. By the time I got home that night, it was swollen, blackened, and had a little dried blood to top it off. Pretty nasty considering I wasn’t even riding when it happened. I still have knot on my shin to this day.

JDH

While adjusting my rear shock in my garage a week ago or so I sat on my bike to check my adjustments and some how the flip-flops I was wearing went under the peddles, trapping my feet, lost my balance and ended up sprawled out on the garage floor.

Felt like a total dumb@$$ when I looked up to see my son looking at me laughing his @$$ off and trying to ask me if I was ok.

"JDH" wrote

While adjusting my rear shock in my garage a week ago or so I sat on my bike to check my adjustments and some how the flip-flops I was wearing went under the peddles, trapping my feet, lost my balance and ended up sprawled out on the garage floor.

Felt like a total dumb@$$ when I looked up to see my son looking at me laughing his @$$ off and trying to ask me if I was ok.

That right there is funny I don’t care who you are

Felt like a total dumb@$$ when I looked up to see my son looking at me laughing his @$$ off and trying to ask me if I was ok

Yeah,I agree that was funny. 😆 😆 😆 😆 no pun intended,hahaha.

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.