Dual pedals

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Dual pedals

--
SHARES

Tagged: ,

• Author

I am a beginner mountain biker but have used SPD clipless pedals when commuting. I’d like to have the OPTION of clipping in, on easier trail sections, and clipping out on technical stuff I’m not sure about. Can someone recommend a good "dual platform" pedal? I have SPD shoes/cleats.

It sounds like you are looking for pedals with toe clips giving you the options of "locking in" & the security of "clipping out" when needed. This old school technology is really making a comeback providing the freedom/feel of a platform, the pedal efficiency of clipless, and the security/safety of not being "locked" in.

Toe Clips United 😎

"sssirois" wrote

It sounds like you are looking for pedals with toe clips giving you the options of "locking in" & the security of "clipping out" when needed. This old school technology is really making a comeback providing the freedom/feel of a platform, the pedal efficiency of clipless, and the security/safety of not being "locked" in.

Toe Clips United 😎

Not dual sided, but I run Crank Brothers Mallets. They work good when I don’t want to be clipped in. You could always go with something like these Wellgo pedals. They’re inexpensive, which is good until you decide which way you want to go.

I’m using the Shimano M324 SPD peddles. So far I’ve just used the platform half. I’ve bought some shoes and am going to work on adjusting to clipless. One thing I don’t like about the dual peddles is that i almost always have to flip one to the other side once I start peddling. The platform sides seem to always want to be on the bottom.

I was wondering the same thing when deciding on a pedal for my new bike. I sometimes commute on my bikes and I don’t want to clip in for that. As okay as I am with riding on spd m980s with sneakers, I’d love to have just a bit more grip. Yes that dual sided pedals are off balance with weight so they flip automatically putting the platform side down all the time. If you don’t mind having to look down and kicking the pedal over, then they would great. but there’s also the m324 version that insides of having two sides, puts a cage around the SPD that rides like a platform. The two sides are pretty evenly weighted, so it’s better.

Go to a store, find someone with these pedals, and try them out. Testing’s always the best way to decide.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content … ntain.html

Another idea is to get a clipless sneaker. So you can clip in and walk around in the same shoe. They’re really useful.

I have been riding with these shimano mt33l shoes Image as well as these pedals: Shimano PD-M324 Image. They are weighted for the clip in side to roll up most of the time. I have been using them about a month. They are entry level but have been a great introduction into clipless pedals. I think you would be very happy this set up, I will say that once I got used to being clipped in I have only rode once without clipping in and I will never go back. It is nice however to have the option while commuting to unclip, roll the pedal over in areas of heavy congestion where you might want to put your foot down or stop suddenly, then roll the pedal over and clip in when you are out in the open.