dual or solo? I’m lost.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve currently got a 100mm sid race dual air fork. My rear is a Rock Shox Monarch RT3 190×51. I’m wanting a little more travel on the front, so I’m going with the Recon 130mm solo air. What’s the difference between solo and dual? good or bad,I’m lost. One of the DH in my area (Windy Gap) I average 47 mph. and need the extra travel. But I don’t do a lot of jumps. Thanks for any info….

"vKAOSv" wrote

I average 47 mph.

Sure you’re not on a dirt bike? 😆

Solo air = positive and negative air chambers are automatically set to the same psi (which most people will do with dual air anyway)
      Dual air = air valve in the top and one in the bottom. positive and negative air chambers are seperate providing more adjustability…or more of a headache depending on how you look at it.

I ride solo air forks. Less to think about.

sorry, I meant 27. lol its mostly straight trail. and thanks.

I hit 40+ once on a gravel road outside of Graeagle, CA. I was sure I was going to crash and die! Not something I plan on doing again soon!

I feel 30 is a coup on a gravel road downhill at Chilhowee. I feel like I’ve cheated death when I make it to the bottom without the aid of a helivac.

On-topic: I’ve owned both the single and dual air RS forks and I found no benefit at my level and type of riding for the added complexity of the dual air.

On the trail (if both forks work like they should, plush and setup right) you won’t see any real differences. The negative pressure chamber is much smaller than the positive and it is more then to prevent harsh top outs than everything else. If you setup your dual air wrong, it can effect your rebound (ie. slow it down), can change your usable travel and other.

If it costs the same and you like to setup everything yourself – go Dual Air. If you are a simple set and forget rider, go solo air. In the long run to me, solo air and dual air really have no noticeable differences, and that all being said, then it’s definitely better to keep it simple and have just one air chamber. I run both dual and solo, and love them both.

100mm to 130mm travel is a good travel for aggressive XC to AM, but if you want more travel for the more gnarly terrain, then 130 would be the ticket for you.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.