Dropper Posts

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Dropper Posts

--
SHARES

This topic contains 14 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Hap Proctor 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Like most things that come out and become widely popular, Dropper posts seems to be one of those entities in the world of mountain biking. And I guess on where you live geographically and/or ride regularly that your thoughts/ideas on them vary from others. My last 2 bikes have had them. And the more I ride here in the Northern part of Georgia I am beginning to ask myself is it really needed? There are just a handful of trails I’ve ridden that I did enjoy the short lived benefit of having my Dropper post but, it wasn’t like I “needed” it for any advantage or added support. It’s more like…the only analogy that comes to mind is, a toy. I have a guy I work with that is DYING to get one and hearing him discuss WHY he wants one and it’s making me wonder if I should trade mine in for a regular seat post! The Pro’s and con’s just don’t add up for me. How does everyone else feel about their’s? Is it a “must have” or more like a convenience to have and just play with?

Resisted dropper posts until half a year ago.  Now, cannot imagine riding without one.  As important to my riding as is a round wheel….here in AZ mtns. anyway. I use it constantly.  Even for tweaking position in between ups and downs.

I ride in Florida, mostly flat, but I ride more technical trails. Before the dropper post, I was thrown over the bars several times while negotiating logs and rocks. And I use it every time I stop. It is now a must for me.

The idea seemed excessive to me at first I admit, but high/low saddle has benefits in various situations. I used to ride with a very high saddle all the time, even in descending, until one day I was thrown over the bars on a roller on a downhill section (no injuries, fortunately). Since then I drop the saddle for downhill which is a major improvement to my performance and technique. Stopping at the top/bottom of hills to manually raise and lower the saddle is a major pain in the ass for me. I’d say if you are planning on riding competitively it is probably a good investment. If you don’t bomb downhills or don’t mind stopping and manually changing your saddle height, it’s probably not necessary. They are ultra expensive too, which is a major drawback.

Careful talking about needs in mountain biking… We don’t really need tubeless tires, wide rims, disc brakes, multi speed drivetrains, carbon frames, rear suspension, front suspension, etc.

For me personally, any drawbacks with droppers (weight, reliability, expense) are outweighed by their advantages. Namely that it makes riding more fun. I use my dropper hundreds of times per ride, even on flatter trails in the metro Atlanta area. I can corner faster with my post down, and even flat trails have corners, so why not?

The gnarlier the trails, the more a dropper post helps. I can descend faster, safer, and more confidently with a dropper than without. So again, why not? My favorite part of mountain biking is descending, so anything that helps me do that better, I’m gonna use it.

@kenwrightjr “the more I ride here in the Northern part of Georgia I am beginning to ask myself is it really needed? There are just a handful of trails I’ve ridden that I did enjoy the short lived benefit of having my Dropper post but, it wasn’t like I “needed” it for any advantage or added support. It’s more like…the only analogy that comes to mind is, a toy. I have a guy I work with that is DYING to get one and hearing him discuss WHY he wants one and it’s making me wonder if I should trade mine in for a regular seat post! The Pro’s and con’s just don’t add up for me. How does everyone else feel about their’s? Is it a “must have” or more like a convenience to have and just play with?”

There are few people I’ve met that have used modern dropper posts longer than I (no, Hite Rite doesn’t count) having put my first one on in ’05. I ride in the same area as you and I consider having a dropper post as important to my rides as effective brakes. Do I or anyone need a dropper post? Nope. However, it improves my experience and enjoyment immensely. Still, I get it, they are not for everybody.

I have heard every counter-argument possible about dropper posts from “I don’t ride in the mountains, it’s too heavy, too complicated, they’re unreliable, etc” and so on. I was a proselyte for them, but now I don’t care. Ride whatever you want and I’ll do the same. I find their ability to make everything on the trail something to play on too intoxicating to pass up. You can get your freak on and then pedal to the top without stopping. Bravo! Like the Rock Shox rep told me years ago, “hit the Rad button and have at it”.

Do you NEED a dropper post? No. Is it fun as all get out? Heck yes!

Over a Beer: A Dropper Post Is the #1 Upgrade that Makes Mountain Biking More Fun

I resisted for a long time for many reasons then one day I lowered my post for a descent and I could see how this could work and never looked back since.  Eyes opened.

Dropper posts have other advantages too like mounting bikes on bike racks or putting in the boot of your car. It can be lowered to make room.

These are some awesome responses guys! lol. I am loving it. I must confess that I DO use mine so I don’t mean to sound like I have one and just flat out don’t use it. But hearing all of yours reasoning does make lots of sense. It really does come down to each person’s individual riding pleasures just like someone above mentioned carbon frames, tubeless tires, carbon handlebars, et al.

As a newbie to mountain biking (started in May this year) I did some research before purchasing my first mountain bike. After much consideration, I ended up paying extra and buying a bike with a dropper post.

I have to say I love the convenience of not having to stop and manually adjust the post. I can’t yet comment on relability as I’ve only had the bike a few months.  As for the extra weight, I wouldn’t know as I’ve nothing to compare it to.

Having said I have still managed to forget to lower the post and much to my regret when I am picking myself up off the ground after coming over the handlebars!

I ride all over the Northwest and with a variety of climbing and downhills I have found the dropper to make things more comfortable.  The variety of sitting positions makes it great for adjustments to fit the ride.  After 2 years with a dropper, I cant imagine riding without one.

Technology is good but maybe causes a loss of good technique on the bike.  Allows people to get away with things (kind of the sane as having an E Bike)

but I’m all for this stuff if it makes you more happy on the bike

I use my dropper post on almost every trail. It’s much easier to navigate rock gardens, skinnies and of course downhill with seat all the way down. My hardtail however doesn’t have one and it’s still manageable to ride same trails with seat all the way up. Havnt installed dropper post on it simply to keep it as light as possible for flat trails.

Having ridden with a dropper post for about four years, I just spent the last four months riding a mtb without a dropper post.  Wow, I’m so happy to be back on my own personal bike again with its little “toy” that pops up and down on command.

I’d rather have a dropper post than rear suspension.