Dropper post length

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

My bike does not have a port to run cables inside the bike- this means I can only buy the dropper post with 100mm(4in). Does the extra 25mm (1in) help much on the 125mm that only comes with the stealth version. I am 5’10" if that makes a difference. I like the RockShox Reverb and that is one of their limitations.

"Gdb49" wrote

My bike does not have a port to run cables inside the bike- this means I can only buy the dropper post with 100mm(4in).

Huh? Why is that?

I’m 6′ tall and my 100mm dropper fits me perfectly and has room to be adjusted for someone with longer or shorter legs. IMHO, 25 more mm would be overkill. Having said that, I’ve never actually tried a 125mm.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="Gdb49":1n7tny4u]My bike does not have a port to run cables inside the bike- this means I can only buy the dropper post with 100mm(4in).

[/quote:1n7tny4u]
      Huh? Why is that?

Not sure why, but the 125mm is only offered on their stealth version. Bummer.

Gravity dropper doesn’t do internal frame routing, but they do sell posts with 5" of Drop (and several in between position options): http://gravitydropper.com/products/

Also, just be aware that what really dictates how much drop you should buy is how much post you currently have sticking out of your bike. You need to have enough room to install the dropper post so that the cable assembly, entire drop, & etc. can fit in that space without the saddle being too high at its most upright position.

Minimum exposed post. You would need to have 7 1/4 of exposed post in your up position to run a 4 inch drop post. 6 1/4 to run a 3 inch drop and 5 1/4 to run a 2 inch drop. You can put your existing post in your normal UP position and measure from where the post goes into the bike to the seat rails.

Looks like they haven’t adjusted the numbers for a 5" post… but if you shoot them an email, they’re great about responding!

Have you looked into the Crank Bros Kronolog? Great dropper post, external routing, competitive price. And one 5’10" rider to another, I use every bit of the 125 mm of travel.

"Tr0gd0r" wrote

Have you looked into the Crank Bros Kronolog? Great dropper post, external routing, competitive price. And one 5’10" rider to another, I use every bit of the 125 mm of travel.

Thanks,I will look into it, and good to know 125mm is important. Hoping to buy the dropper post very soon, so need to make a decision.

Before you buy make sure you check out the KS Lev. It comes in 3 or 4 different lengths and gets excellent reviews too. It’s a bit pricy but it looks like the best dropper on the market. Good luck with your decision!

+1 on the KS LEV.. I’ve had mine on my Tallboy LT for about 6 months now and its been absolutely flawless.. I got mine online at artscyclery.com I think it was about $369 at the time..

I’ve been wanting a dropper for a while now. Seems like most have had some consistency issues, and I’m a big guy-6’4" and 225lbs, so I’ve been a bit leery to drop all that money on something that might not last for long. Any bigger guys out there using them? The KS sounds pretty stout compared to most I’ve looked into.

"gar29" wrote

I’ve been wanting a dropper for a while now. Seems like most have had some consistency issues, and I’m a big guy-6’4" and 225lbs, so I’ve been a bit leery to drop all that money on something that might not last for long. Any bigger guys out there using them? The KS sounds pretty stout compared to most I’ve looked into.

I’m 6′ and around the same weight. I have the Specialized Command BlackLite dropper and love it. No issues whatsoever. I’ve also heard nothing but good about the KS and it was a tie between that one and the Specialized. I only chose the Spec over KS because it was in stock at my LBS.

I miss spoke they have the 125mm not the 150mm. So the question is does that make even less of a difference? 5" seems like plenty. Or is there a good arguement for 6"? As low as my seat goes to 5" up is plenty for my full extension. Is there something else to consider?

"gar29" wrote

When I was looking for a dropper post, I learned that KS limited their posts to 200lbs rider weight. Since I’m in your (weight)range, I purchased a RS Reverb with 125mm travel.

Just checked my records. Have had my Blacklite Command Post for 1 1/2 years Appx. 3000 miles of riding. It gets a lot of use!!!!!!!!!!. 😃 Have had no issues at all. Just replaced the stock cable with Jagwire housing, and Teflon coated cable, should have done that long ago. Now operates as easy as my XO shifters. The second, and third generation of dropper posts have come a long way, so reliability is not as much of an issue.
      As for travel get as much as will work on your bike. If I get in some real technical terrain, jump park, or real steep stuff, I’ll drop the post as low in the frame as it’ll go. I’ll end up with 7 inches of total drop, and the seat’s still in the way.

Thanks for all the great info. I purchased the Reverb 125mm from Rockshox, the Straightline pedals and a new set of grips. Cant wait to see the difference with all 3 points of contact upgraded, but of course we have a snow storm sitting on us dumping several inches. Got to love Colorado!

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.