Drop Offs

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Drop Offs

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

At my local trail there is a "pier jump" with a vertical drop of 6.5-8.5 ft (depending where you land). I am currently riding a 29er hardtail and don’t quite know how to handle the drop. I have ridden it a few times but it isn’t nearly as smooth as it could be. The main thing that I think is giving me trouble is seat height. I ride with a higher seat because most of the single track doesn’t have big drops, but then this drop off requires me to have a lower seat.

Any suggesting for tackling this?

Lower your seat for the drop…and be prepared to break stuff if the landing gets too rough. Chances are your 29er hardtail isn’t designed for this kind of riding (there’s only a handful that are). As long as you land smooth it’ll probably be okay, assuming the landing is downhill, but land wrong and you’re probably going to taco a wheel.

Ride off the drop with your wheels level, then slowly dip the front wheel down – you want to land both tires at the same time, or the rear just a tiny bit before the front.

"treky92" wrote

At my local trail there is a "pier jump" with a vertical drop of 6.5-8.5 ft (depending where you land). I am currently riding a 29er hardtail and don’t quite know how to handle the drop. I have ridden it a few times but it isn’t nearly as smooth as it could be. The main thing that I think is giving me trouble is seat height. I ride with a higher seat because most of the single track doesn’t have big drops, but then this drop off requires me to have a lower seat.

Any suggesting for tackling this?

Are you speaking of a drop in (like a roller) or a ledge drop (skinny drop or other words dropping from a wood launch) landing into a transition?

From the sound of it, you sound like you are saying a skinny drop (wood launch) dropping 6′ to 8′ landing into I hope would be a transition, like below….

If this is true, then your bike was not designed for this discipline riding, and you will tear your bike in due process time, especially at this elevation of drop.

Anyways, go here…

viewforum.php?f=94

"How To Make (huck) Drops Properly Tutorial"

If it is a rolling drop, then just get your weight back and stay low, keep loose, elbows and knees slightly bent, but relaxed. Stay off your front brake, and feather your rear only when needed to keep from a slide out. Do not attempt to tweak your front, as this will lead to carnage. This tweaking also goes with ledge drops as well.

Well, good luck and the best of riding, but if you are going to do bigger drops at that elevation, you need a bike built for that discipline riding.

On-On!

As everyone else has mentioned, if you are doing a true drop off as pictured by bonsai-cp, that’s a big drop to be doing on a 29er. Doable, but you’re going to break stuff. Surprised you haven’t already…

That’s bigger than anything I’ve hit yet and I admire the fact you want to hit it and not just find another way,haha.The first thing I’d do is grab a shovel and fix the landing.

Awesome picture of Joco,he’s gettin big!

"GALAXY" wrote

Awesome picture of Joco,he’s gettin big!

…..LOL! 😆

Yep, he just turned 13 years old. That drop is one that drops into a sweet table-top and then a sweet wall ride at Markham Park. It sick bro! That was taken last year at Christmas when we went to Markham instead of Santos due to the big chill up your way.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.