Drivetrain upgrade on Merida one forty 400

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

The Shimano Drivetrain that came stock with the bike is starting to die and neither I nor professionals can see something wrong with it so I’m looking to buy a new drive train and cassette possibly. The cassette that came with the bike is only a 9 speed but the derailleur is Shimano slx so I don’t know if it has something to do with that. I’ve been looking into SRAM nx and gx but all comments are appreciated!

I just switched over from a 2×9 to a SRAM GX Eagle 1×12, best move you can make.

Sram SX and NX 1×12 drivetrains with 455% range 11-50 cassettes and the new Shimano Deore 1×11 drivetrain with 464% 11-51 cassette work with HG hub drivers.

Sram GX and up 500% 1×12 drivetrains with 1o-50 cassettes work with XD hub drivers.

Shimano Deore and up 510% 1×12 drivetrains with 10-51 cassettes work with Micro-Spline hub drivers.

I am fairly certain that your bike has a rear hub with an HG driver.  So the easiest thing to do would be to use Sram SX/NX 1×12, or Shimano Deore 1×11.  I like the new 11-51 Deore because it has slightly more range than the 11-50 SX/NX.

You might be able to change just the hub driver on your rear wheel and use the other wider range 10-50 Sram and 10-51 Shimano drivetrains but it is not possible to change the driver on all hubs.  Otherwise, to get the XD or Micro-Spline driver, you would need to replace the rear hub or buy a new rear wheel which can be expensive.  If you do go this route, I would go for the 10-51 Shimano drivetrain which has more range than the 10-50 Sram drivetrains.

Which way would you go? I’m leaning towards SRAM as the Shimano that I’ve had on my bike for 7months is already worn down but I don’t know if SRAM is any better.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.