Downhill In Austin TX?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys,

New here and new to Austin TX. Looking for any recommendations to a good park with solid trails and a nice downhill section. I’m not a downhill rider but I do enjoy a good descend!

Thanks!

MC

Reveille Peak Ranch has a awesome assortment of trails. They have a run called Super D which is alot of fun.
      Depending on where your from Downhill doesn’t really exist like some places down here. I am in San Antonio and you end up with more elevation overtime than all at once.
      Mt. Lakeway trail is a switchback trail up and fun coming back down.
      Emma Long City Park is a great technical trail with lots of ups and downs to challenge you.
      There is a place called Freeride 512, http://www.freeride512.com/Freeride512/Fr512_Home.html. I have heard alot of good things about it. Its not a downhill park but the freeriding is supposed to be awesome.
      Colorado or AngelFire are you best bet for downhill in this area. If your down in SA and don’t mind climbing Government Canyon has some good tech lines and some good downhill sections. You just have to climb to get to them. They are open fri-mon.

Good luck in Austin, its a fun town!!

"tarvisg" wrote

Reveille Peak Ranch has a awesome assortment of trails. They have a run called Super D which is alot of fun.
      Depending on where your from Downhill doesn’t really exist like some places down here. I am in San Antonio and you end up with more elevation overtime than all at once.
      Mt. Lakeway trail is a switchback trail up and fun coming back down.
      Emma Long City Park is a great technical trail with lots of ups and downs to challenge you.
      There is a place called Freeride 512, http://www.freeride512.com/Freeride512/Fr512_Home.html. I have heard alot of good things about it. Its not a downhill park but the freeriding is supposed to be awesome.
      Colorado or AngelFire are you best bet for downhill in this area. If your down in SA and don’t mind climbing Government Canyon has some good tech lines and some good downhill sections. You just have to climb to get to them. They are open fri-mon.

Good luck in Austin, its a fun town!!

Thanks for the input. I’m from SA too so I know the trails there pretty well. I’m getting to know the trails here in Austin more and more. So far I like what I see. Def a cool town.

Rocky Hill Ranch out in Smithville (East of Bastrop) has a couple of fun downhill sections, albeit, not miles of downhill, just bursts.

I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a legit DH trail.

I frequent Walnut Creek, in my opinion, one of the better all around trails. Has some climbing, some technical, some cruising, plus it’s right next to my house. 😀

Brushy Creek, bleh. I need to go out there with someone who knows where to go, when I went there it seemed like we took the most uphill/technical path and it sucked.

Barton Creek is OK, pretty flat unless you go uphill on Sweet 16. I don’t like climbing all day, but I do like to get some sort of work-out, don’t think I ever lost my breath in a couple rides out there. Again, riding with someone who knows the trail would probably make me eat my words.

Welcome to Austin!

Hi. I will be moving to Pfluferville this February. Im from Tacloban City (Haiyan-devastated), Philippines. Im looking also for DH trails around the area. I will be bringing my sc jackal along for my wife and would get an all-arounder bike for me when I get there. I miss riding and racing DH. Our trails here have been ruined when haiyan struck so no proper DH riding already for me for more than a year. Sold my v10 and 303 too for house repairs and visa costs. Everything has changed and I wanna get back to MTB riding when I get there. Looking forward to racing back again too. Anyway, this site has been very much useful. Hope to see you guys around the trails there. Cheers. Happy New Year.

-Dan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.