does your helmet serve its purpose?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum does your helmet serve its purpose?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Do you wear your helmet because its the right thing to do or does it actually get used? After a small crash yesterday I noticed when I unloaded, my visor to my helmet was gone. Once I realized the visor was gone I was looking over my helmet , after all it is two years old. This helmet tells a story of this old guy riding his bike in some of the knarliest trails around. Rock, rock gardens , rock climbs , rock downhills just rock. First time I rode the local trails I did not have a helmet and was quite a eye opener . That day I ordered a new giro and didn’t ride until it showed up. That helmet has seen the ground more times you can imagine and one look at it and you would ask , does¬† this guy know how to ride or does he over shred more than he should, prob a little of both

Yes

As I remember, my helmet saved me from a hard impact 4 times over the last year. I crash more than that but, thanks to a bit of luck and experience, I managed to avoid other potential melon impacts. What I have found is that I can avoid most head impacts however, some are almost impossible to anticipate and the helmet is great insurance. Plus, makes it a bit easier to take on skill limit features.

Yes it does. I replace it each time I fall and the foam cracks, and I’m not on my first helmet…

Mmmm, the helmet topic resurfaces…

I use one on more aggressive rides and around the neighborhood often do not. Kinda silly on the latter. It has been a number of years since I went down. Typically, a simple bail is on tap. Platform pedals keep this one outta the ER.

Rethinking the typical operations and equipment list. All it takes is once! Cheap insurance policy, indeed.

Two reasons I will always wear a helmet: 1) I have taken several spills where I know my helmet protected my noggin from something much worse. I’ve even had a 4″ branch fall on my head while riding. 2) I believe its worthwhile to set an example for kids.

It is best to replace the helmet straight after the crash. If I were in your place, I would not wear the same helmet after the crash. If the visor is broken, it is best to replace the visor.

Everyone should make sure their noggin is protected… if there’s even a slight doubt about whether the old helmet is ok then get a new one!

This post actually got me thinking, as i have very unhealthy relationship to my helmet. I often find it unnecessary to use while just on a joyride in town, but it spills over and i forget to wear it when going to the forest. I’ve had plenty of crashes, but none involving my head so i don’t really fear it. But that’s just really irrational and listening to other peoples stories i definately start to rethink my thought process

I’ve “retired” 3 helmets in my time riding.¬† The first was a pavement crash where I hit hard enough to crack the foam in 3 places (no doubt preventing a skull fracture). The second was my first full-face DH helmet, my head bounced-off several tree trunks while I tumbled through the trees. The most recent was when I highsided myself out of a turn (and over a small jump) in a bike park.

Yes, I’m a big fan of helmets. I’ll admit I don’t buy the most expensive helmets, I prefer to go with the more inexpensive MIPS helmets while keeping the price tag low enough to be (relatively) painlessly expendible.

I didn’t wear a helmet as a kid… because 80’s. But now I never ride without, I got used to it like a seatbelt.

On the street where you think it is a relaxed chill ride a car could hit you, in the forest a tree might jump out at you.

All it takes it one mistake <-> all it takes is a helmet

Easy choice IMO.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.