does your helmet serve its purpose?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum does your helmet serve its purpose?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Do you wear your helmet because its the right thing to do or does it actually get used? After a small crash yesterday I noticed when I unloaded, my visor to my helmet was gone. Once I realized the visor was gone I was looking over my helmet , after all it is two years old. This helmet tells a story of this old guy riding his bike in some of the knarliest trails around. Rock, rock gardens , rock climbs , rock downhills just rock. First time I rode the local trails I did not have a helmet and was quite a eye opener . That day I ordered a new giro and didn’t ride until it showed up. That helmet has seen the ground more times you can imagine and one look at it and you would ask , does  this guy know how to ride or does he over shred more than he should, prob a little of both

Yes

As I remember, my helmet saved me from a hard impact 4 times over the last year. I crash more than that but, thanks to a bit of luck and experience, I managed to avoid other potential melon impacts. What I have found is that I can avoid most head impacts however, some are almost impossible to anticipate and the helmet is great insurance. Plus, makes it a bit easier to take on skill limit features.

Yes it does. I replace it each time I fall and the foam cracks, and I’m not on my first helmet…

Mmmm, the helmet topic resurfaces…

I use one on more aggressive rides and around the neighborhood often do not. Kinda silly on the latter. It has been a number of years since I went down. Typically, a simple bail is on tap. Platform pedals keep this one outta the ER.

Rethinking the typical operations and equipment list. All it takes is once! Cheap insurance policy, indeed.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.