Does anybody use a hammock?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Does anybody use a hammock?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Does it ever happen to anyone that the drive out to a trail is too far and an overnighter instead of getting back home into your own bed from a ride on the local trails?</p>
      i want to overnight and hang out at a trail rather than getting a hotel room or Airbnb. I realized that most trails are distant from the city and no one will care but does anyone have any experience with this?

I have a hammock, it’s the car that would give me away, basically.

I can relate.  Riding in FL can be brutal May-Oct.  I always take the hydration pack and usually drink about 20 oz. of water with a hydration tab an hour before riding.  I have also found it very helpful to begin pre-hydrating 24-48 hours before a longer ride.

Depends where the trail is located. Most National Forests allow dispersed camping except where there are signs saying no camping. I’ve definitely slept in my car at the trailhead before and aside from someone rolling up on me in the middle of the night, I didn’t have any problems.

My hammock use is normally on backpacking or kayak based trips, but it is a good idea for mountain biking too. I definitely sleep better in a hammock than a ground mat in a tent. One caution though, hammocks are miserable in anything but warm weather.

Most trails are in parks and national forests that allow camping.  Those that don’t usually have no camping signs.  But, you can usually find a spot close by that you can use for the night.  I rather pitch a tent or hang my camping hammock than drive back and forth to the city!

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first saw this threads subject line.  Something to sleep in, or some kind of new men’s MTB riding attire. Either way, I don’t use a hammock… to sleep in or ride in…

I’ve slept in a hammock overnight before on a backpacking trip and I would recommend having some kind of support for your knees, as having them locked out with no support all night can be very uncomfortable.

rajflyboy, It’s good to be cautious, but a tent won’t offer any more protection from a bear than a hammock. The best thing to do to avoid bears is keep any food, toiletries, or other fragrant items away from where you’re sleeping. If a bear decides that you’re tasty then you’re screwed, hammock or tent.

@Moto Bike Mike, the reason hammocks suck in cold weather is that the cold comes through the bottom of your sleeping bag, since the insulation can’t do it’s job while it’s being crushed by your body weight. The way to fix this is to line your sleeping bag with a dense wool blanket (I use one of those Swiss army-surplus ones, very thin but very dense and heavy) before rolling out your hammock. I’ve used this method down to freezing temps so far with great success.

They also sell fancy inflatable hammock liners but those are expensive.

I don’t have experience boondocking at a trailhead (it sounds like an awesome idea though!) but I sleep in a hammock every night, I’ve anchored eye-bolts into my bedroom walls so I never have to sleep in a flat bed again. I haven’t experienced the knee discomfort that Head Over Handlebars described, which could have to do with the hanging angle of the hammock or simply the fact that everyone is different.

Anyway I’d say go for it! Unless the place has signs that forbid camping or overnight parking, it’s unlikely that you’ll have any trouble. I like the idea, I might try it myself this Summer.

Ivan

Thanks for the tip Ivan. I slept in a hammock once in March and nearly froze my a$$ off. Need to be better prepared next time. I too, sleep great in a hammock. Can’t say the same for a Thermarest inside my tent.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.