"Do-it-all" bike for $3K?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

So I’ve been looking for a new full-squish bike for some time now. I’ve been doing the research, etc. and talking about it non-stop to my wife. Finally, this past weekend, she got sick of me talking about it and said to "go get a damn bike." 😃 She and I agreed on a limit of $3K

I rode the Yeti SB-66 and thought it was awesome. Lots of fun on the descents but also a pretty solid climber. It was listed for 3300 and I figured that I could stretch my budget a tad. Of course, this weekend also marks the point when Yeti decided to update their bike kits and prices. Now, it is listed at 3700 and too much of a stretch past my limit.

So, what should I look at instead in the $3K neighborhood? I’m looking for a "do-it-all" bike. Great climber, great descender. I’m definitely someone who will put in the climbing so I can enjoy the descents. I also want to be able to keep up with my XC buddies well enough so that they’ll keep riding with me. I haven’t been overly excited about 29ers but I also haven’t ridden enough of them to rule them out completely. I can be convinced by a solid test ride.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your input.

Idk if you have tried GT as of yet. They make a solid awesome bike. And w/ your budget you would be able to get a serious steed. I am partial to them, yes ill admit. My a** has not owned anything but. But in all honesty & fairness they come w/ high end parts and the I drive can’t be beat. Well you can but look to spend double your budget. Every part on their "full squish" is awesome!!! (As a chick nothing gets me more excited than bikes n components) Their frames are 2nd to none and can handle whatever you toss @ it, in fact itll eat it up n look 4 more. There are several full squish 2 pick from. But from just what u said your looking 4 i would seriously check out the GT Force. Amazing bike w/ every possible goodie you could want. I have a 2013 ordered myself. You will not be disappointed.
      but like anything else, someone may suggest something different. Hell id be open 2 some myself. Good luck in your upcoming hunt n happy trails

Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Comp would meet your needs perfectly. Falls right in your price range and you can choose from 26" or 29".

I have to tell you that I just bought a 2013 Giant Trance X1 29er and it is simply awesome. It lists for $2,775 and not all bike shops have them yet, but they are worth waiting for. It’s a fast bike that climbs well, descends well, corners well, a true "do-it-all" bike, in my opinion, of course!

+1 for Giant Trance. I’m friends with the owner of the local Giant shop and he got to ride it before it hit the dealers and he said it’s just amazing.

IMO, this is the order of "Do-it-all" capability from what has been recommended.

GT (most AM)
      Spec SJ FSR (I’d opt for the EVO model myself)
      Giant Trance (most XCish)

I recommend a Head Tube Angle of between 67-68 degrees for a bike that can climb efficiently, but then rail the descents whether its butter or chunder.

Some other options out there:
      Banshee Spitfire
      Trek Slash
      Kona Process/Tanuki/Kitsune (In order of most to least gravity oriented-ness)
      Giant Reign 1 (not the X/SX model)

There are a lot of great do-it-all bikes you could buy in that price range… you better buckle down and start doing some research!

also don’t forget to budget in the pedals and other personal items for the bike.

Thanks for all the great input! I agree with you completely mtbgreg. There are a TON of great bikes to choose from at this price point. It’s been really tough narrowing down my choices. It seems that each time I speak to someone new, I have another bike added to my list of contenders. Right now, here’s my list:

Spec. Stumpy Comp EVO
      SC Blur LT
      SC Tallboy and Tallboy LT
      Transition Bandit
      Yeti AS-R 5
      Giant Trance X1

I’m still on the fence even about 29er vs. 26er vs. 650b. I was underwhelmed by the 29ers I’ve ridden in the past, but they were on the older side and not the most current tech.

Thanks again for the help.

"ecwashere7" wrote

Thanks for all the great input! I agree with you completely mtbgreg. There are a TON of great bikes to choose from at this price point. It’s been really tough narrowing down my choices. It seems that each time I speak to someone new, I have another bike added to my list of contenders. Right now, here’s my list:

Spec. Stumpy Comp EVO
      SC Blur LT
      SC Tallboy and Tallboy LT
      Transition Bandit
      Yeti AS-R 5
      Giant Trance X1

I’m still on the fence even about 29er vs. 26er vs. 650b. I was underwhelmed by the 29ers I’ve ridden in the past, but they were on the older side and not the most current tech.

Thanks again for the help.

Those are all good bikes! I’ve ridden the ASR-5 and loved it. I was going to recommend the Specialized Enduro as an AMAZING do-everything bike (like seriously, it’s GREAT at everything), but the cheapest new model that I could find is an MSRP of $3500: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ … endurocomp If you could find a sale on one or last year’s model, though, this is a great rig!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I was going to recommend the Specialized Enduro as an AMAZING do-everything bike (like seriously, it’s GREAT at everything), but the cheapest new model that I could find is an MSRP of $3500: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ … endurocomp If you could find a sale on one or last year’s model, though, this is a great rig!

I didn’t really consider the Enduro because I’d like a bike that is solid climber and that I would be able to keep up with my XC buddies. I figured the Stumpy would be a better climber and still give me enough squish.

I might be adding the Norco Sight Killer B into this list too.

"ecwashere7" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":u98gxnbk] I was going to recommend the Specialized Enduro as an AMAZING do-everything bike (like seriously, it’s GREAT at everything), but the cheapest new model that I could find is an MSRP of $3500: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ … endurocomp If you could find a sale on one or last year’s model, though, this is a great rig!

I didn’t really consider the Enduro because I’d like a bike that is solid climber and that I would be able to keep up with my XC buddies. I figured the Stumpy would be a better climber and still give me enough squish.

I might be adding the Norco Sight Killer B into this list too.[/quote:u98gxnbk]

Yeah the stumpy is a better climber, but you said "do it all bike." I consider the Enduro a better all-around bike than the stumpy. The stumpy doesn’t have quite enough travel or aggressive components/geometry to really get into DH riding.

If you’re looking for more aggressive XC, then you should probably look at the "Trail" category of bikes, approx. 5 in. of travel.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Yeah the stumpy is a better climber, but you said "do it all bike." I consider the Enduro a better all-around bike than the stumpy. The stumpy doesn’t have quite enough travel or aggressive components/geometry to really get into DH riding.

If you’re looking for more aggressive XC, then you should probably look at the "Trail" category of bikes, approx. 5 in. of travel.

True, true. I suppose the bike I’m looking for isn’t really a "do-it-all." I would love to go that route, but I’ll be doing around 90% XC. For the other 10% (DH), I guess I’ll demo a bike.

I ride the SC Tallboy and love it–but I don’t think most folks would consider it a "do it all bike." It’s solidly XC-oriented; I basically ride it in place of my hardtail for longer rides.

Then again, I’ve never been on a trail where it’s the bike that’s holding me back–it’s usually my skills or guts. 😀 So I guess the Tallboy [i:3uj85o79]is[/i:3uj85o79] my "do it all bike."

"ecwashere7" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":2m9d7zss]

True, true. I suppose the bike I’m looking for isn’t really a "do-it-all." I would love to go that route, but I’ll be doing around 90% XC. For the other 10% (DH), I guess I’ll demo a bike.[/quote:2m9d7zss]

Ok I gotcha man. If that’s the case, the Stumpy would be a great bike for what you’re going to use it for!

How about a Santa Cruz. I’ve got a Tallboy myself and absolutely love it. It’s more XC than "Trail" though. A Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (Long Travel, 135mm) with a Deore/SLX kit can be had for $3099, if you want to go down that route. Or perhaps a Santa Cruz Blur LT if you wanted 26" wheels. Both bikes are superb.

So I did some test rides and discovered a few things. One, I am not really in the market for an enduro bike. I will be riding almost exclusivey XC, but I want something that will be fun on the way down. Two, I found that I really liked the feel of a 29er. Huh. So my list has been adjusted to say the least. I was able to test ride the Stumpy 29 and Tallboy on some very tame trails and I was able to take the Niner Jet 9, Yeti SB95 and Kona Satori around the block near a different shop. I really liked the slacker geometry of the Yeti and Kona but it wasn’t a trail test ride. Plus, the Yeti is out of my price range 😢 I found the Tallboy (at 100mm) to be a tad more enjoyable than the Stumpy. I’d really like to compare them to their slacker brethren (Tallboy can be adjusted to 120, Tallboy LT and the Stumpy EVO). I’d like to try out a Transition Bandit 29 at some point too. Is there anything else that you’d add to my list?

New list:
      Stumpy Comp EVO 29
      Tallboy (LT?)
      Kona Satori – Any experience?? I really liked the geometry and it seemed to be spec’d well.

Why did you drop the Giant Trance 29er without trying it?

"maddslacker" wrote

Why did you drop the Giant Trance 29er without trying it?

I didn’t. It just hasn’t been on the forefront of my mind because there isn’t a Giant dealer that is relatively close to me. I’m still welcoming any suggestions that people may have.

The pro that won last year’s Highland OverMountain Enduro was riding a Satori. That’s saying something.

I’ve always found Kona geo to be spot on for my style of riding. Tough, durable bikes.

"8valvegrowl" wrote

The pro that won last year’s Highland OverMountain Enduro was riding a Satori. That’s saying something.

I’ve always found Kona geo to be spot on for my style of riding. Tough, durable bikes.

That Satori is definitely growing on me. The 2013 is spec’d with some great additions from 2012 too (better Fox fork and shock, dropper seatpost, thru-axles…)

oooooooo baby

Yeah, the 2013 Kona bikes are bringing it. I’m aiming to pick up a Process in the next year to replace my ’08 Dawg.

There are a lot of great bikes you could buy for that price…

Trek Rumblefish

Viewing 23 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.