disk and fork Q HHHHHELP please

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys. new to the site. posted in the wrong spot and got no answer. Im not new to mountain bikes but its been a while. turned my intrest to cross country motocross. I rode bmx and freestyle bikes as a kid and did a lot of free riding before they even called it that. LOL. I have a K2 zedx, DONT LAUGH, DONT YOU laugh 😮 I know its not the best but it was cheap. wanted a full suspension but just never could make up my mind. I use it to train on or i guess just stay in better shape. Ride single track trails here in arlington TX. Its set up for disc and wanted to know if hydro disk were worth puting on it. also wanted to upgrade to fluid forks insted of air. I am not a pro on a mountain bike but i can ride, LOL. is this bike even worth puting money into or am i just better off geting a good full suspension bike with all this on it. I would like to get into more technical trails and jumps but like i said this bike is more for keeping in shape for race day. thanks guys. 😃

The Zed X is a hardtail that comes stock with cable actuated V-brakes.

Disc brakes are definitely a solid upgrade, and for that bike I would get mechanical vs hydro as I believe your shifters and brake levers are integrated. Converting to hydro would necessitate also upgrading shifters. Mechanical disc brakes would use the current levers.

Avid BB7’s are an excellent choice for mechanical disc and they tend to be on sale for $50 per wheel every month or so at either Jenson USA, Performance Bike or Pricepoint.com.

There is nothing wrong with air forks in general, but the one your bike came with is some off-the-wall brand. Ditch it and get a Marzocchi or Fox. Plan on $250 – $300 for new, or you might get lucky with used. If you go really used, look for a Fox F100 R or RL or a Marzocchi MX Comp (NOT MZ Comp, MX Comp!)

As for full suspension, you will know when the time is right to upgrade, but make sure you keep the old hardtail to mess around on. Trust me on that one.

As for full suspension, you will know when the time is right to upgrade, but make sure you keep the old hardtail to mess around on. Trust me on that one.

That is truth in words my friend. Never get rid of the old bike.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.