disc brakes vs rim brakes and the effect on rear suspension

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum disc brakes vs rim brakes and the effect on rear suspension

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Sort of a strange question, but I wanted to know what the different effect rim brakes would have on rear suspension vs disc brakes.

I have a fish cake with a single pivot rear suspension and I get some brake squat when I use the rear brake hard. This is not usually an issue and I actually prefer a little brake squat to counter some of the brake-jack effect caused by the fork dive telescopic forks produce when braking 😈 But when riding on more rocky and steep trails with my weight shifted back, i notice my rear shock has a hard time rebounding back and it seems like i am not using all of the rear suspension. This is most extreme when braking hard down steep and very chunky trails like many parts of the Tahoe rim trail, especially where it backs up to Northstar.

I was wondering if I switched my rear brakes back to rim brakes, would this reduce the brake squat in these situations?

Also, would a different rear shock help prevent too much brake squat? I am going to upgrade my manitou swinger 3 way Spv to a fox rp23.

Thanks, and here is a pic of the bike cause everyone likes pictures.

The funkiness in your suspension has to do with the brake not allowing the wheel to move. Which in turn, keeps your suspension from reacting properly. With that type of suspension on the older bikes there aren’t special pivots to prevent the suspension from locking up.

To answer your question: No, switching your brake won’t help.

"dozzerboy" wrote

The funkiness in your suspension has to do with the brake not allowing the wheel to move. Which in turn, keeps your suspension from reacting properly. With that type of suspension on the older bikes there aren’t special pivots to prevent the suspension from locking up.

To answer your question: No, switching your brake won’t help.

Thanks. Sounds like the rp2 is not going to limit the brake squat.

I have been looking to get a new all mountain bike, and like single pivot suspension. Is there a newer single pivot design (with only 1 pivot) that limits brake squat, or will I need to have additional pivots?

Trhere’s more to suspension than meets the eye. Each design has their advantages and disadvantages. Single pivot is simple to rebuild and since the shock is horizontal to the force applied to the ground, there is little pedal pod. But it doesn’t do much for braking. One of the best in the business for braking and pedal bob is Trek’s modified 4 bar suspension. It has great response with trail chatter, handles big hits nicely, minimal pedal bob, and they have ABP. This stands for active braking pivot. It puts a pivot around the rear axle which means that the suspension won’t lock up while the brake is applied. It is quite ingenious. I ride a trek remedy 9.9 and love the suspension.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.