Disc brake question…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Just wondering…My rear hydraulic disc brake has lost some braking power over the year that I have owned the bike.
      At a glance the pads look like they still have meat left on them. No leaks as far as I can tell.
      What would be the first thing to try and fix this problem. Dressing the rotors with sand paper? Replacing the brake pads anyway? Any input would be much appreciated.

what i do before every ride is clean rotors with alcohol.You could have dirt, grease,all kinds of crap on your brakes.Or possibly need to be bled.

Might need a brake bleed

+1 for the brake bleed. I didn’t have any leaks in mine either, but what happens is water gets in over time and/or the fluid gets cooked from long downhill runs. (At least out here anyway)

An annual bleed and some new pads is pretty normal and not very expensive. I think I paid $35 for the local shop to do mine, or you can buy the kit and do it yourself.

Cool, Thanks for the input!

You didn’t mention how the lever feels when you apply rear brakes. If the lever gets solid instead of spongy, and it doesn’t pull too far in before getting solid, then you probably do not need to bleed the brakes. You might need to clean the brake pads (or lightly sand them) and clean the brake rotors. Then make sure you go through the break-in period like you would a new set of brakes. If that doesn’t fix it, then try a new set of pads.

If the lever is spongy, then it is time to bleed them or solve what ever problem makes them spongy. this wouldn’t be pads or rotor 99% of the time.

+1

1) if spongy, probably needs a bleed. as mentioned, if you ride hard and steep, you’ll need bleeds more frequently than riding gently winding trails.

2) if not spongy, then you likely contaminated your pads. clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol and sand, or better replace, the pads.

you should clean the rotors every few rides anyway. if you haven’t, it could likely be #2.

also, check the rotors are in tight. saw one guy with a rei bike that the rotor came loose. if so, put some blue locktite on the screws before replacing.

"JSatch" wrote

you should clean the rotors every few rides anyway. if you haven’t, it could likely be #2.

Eh, don’t know if I really agree. Aside from a quick spray off from the hose every now and then, I never give my rotors special attention and I have never dealt with a noticeable loss of braking power.

All the desert dust blows off my rotors on the the roof rack on the way home. 😎

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="JSatch":2rf93ppb]

Eh, don’t know if I really agree. Aside from a quick spray off from the hose every now and then, I never give my rotors special attention and I have never dealt with a noticeable loss of braking power.[/quote:2rf93ppb]

i don’t spray my bike. if you do, yeah, that could clean your rotors. i wipe it with damp paper towels when it turns brown with a shot of alcohol for the rotors.

When I wash my bike I usually drink beer and spill some on the rotors. Does that count? 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

When I wash my bike I usually drink beer and spill some on the rotors. Does that count? 😄 Later,

No, but vodka would.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":285i27uj]When I wash my bike I usually drink beer and spill some on the rotors. Does that count? 😄 Later,

No, but vodka would.[/quote:285i27uj]

down near the border my bike’s gotten pretty spoiled- it’s tequila or nothing

after a couple of shots we’re both ready to go

High dollar brakes require Grey Goose or Patron to be cleaned properly I guess. V Brakes are cool with Miller Lite. Jägermeister doesn’t require brakes just a big sapling. 😄 Later,

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.