disc brake conversion

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

looking to a disc conversion on my cheapie bike..bike is a pacific cycle mongoose.dont want to put a ton of money into it but would like to have disc on it for now. not looking for hydraulic disc,just cable disc. got another bike from pacific cycle,and more than likely doing a conversion on that also..

best kit to use and how hard is it to do.. am a diesel/refer technician by trade so have the knowlege and tools!

well…………. a lot depends on the current components that are bolted on. Your hubs must be made to accept a rotor, the fork/frame must have mounts to bolt the calipers on and depending on your shifter/brake configuration. A lot of that style of bike has a shifter/brake lever combo which may prevent you from making the conversion. Good luck

"rsb201" wrote

well…………. a lot depends on the current components that are bolted on. Your hubs must be made to accept a rotor, the fork/frame must have mounts to bolt the calipers on and depending on your shifter/brake configuration. A lot of that style of bike has a shifter/brake lever combo which may prevent you from making the conversion. Good luck

All good points. You will definitely need wheels that have hubs set up for disc. As long as your frame and fork have the disc mounts and you don’t need new shifters like rsb201 mentioned, it should cost you a couple hundred to set it up. You will enjoy disc over v-brake for trail riding, especially if you ride in wet/muddy conditions!

guess ill need to look into this again,in more depth. hub doesnt have anyway to put rotor on hub,unless i buy new hubs or rims..

It will probably cost more to do the conversion than the bike is worth IMO. I’d put that money towards getting a better bike if it were me.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.