disc brake and trigger shifter upgrade

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, for those who haven’t seen any previous posts from me I currently ride a cannondale f400 cad2. As my title says, I was curious about upgrading to disc brakes. Disc brakes on mtb are new. What would I need to do that upgrade, and approximately how much would that cost? or would it just be better to save up for a newer bike.
      Currently My main issues with my bike is I don’t like the grip shifts. what would I need and how much does that run(approximately).

Im returning after a long hiatus(over 14 years or so). I don’t need the best equipment, I just need something that will work and is durable.

You can find lower end/left over disc brakes for about $100 a wheel (which would include the disc). I believe that bike came with V-brakes? If so, you will need to make sure that the frame and fork have the tabs for the calipers. Next, you will need a set of disc ready wheels. A cheap set will start out around $150.

To replace your shifters (8sp or 9sp?), take a look at SRAM X5 and Shimano Deore or SLX, they are pretty reasonable.

V-brakes rule for touring and CX but I would not want to ride anything other than Shimano hydraulics disc breaks for my mountain bike. With the 26" wheel you might be hard pressed to find something that is not made for downhilling now but that will work great, it just means better stopping power 😃

See my post "Old Skool" in the Builds forum. I am in your same boat.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.