Diamondback Sortie Black Unboxing

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

So I’ve been biting my nails for a couple weeks now waiting patiently for my new Diamondback Sortie Black frame from the contest. I had them send it to my business address and just about every day since ST.com requested my address I’ve been scoping out the UPS and FedEx drivers for an oversized package and today was the day my friends.

There it was! That familiar box, with my name on it, just waiting for me to tear it open. The first thing I noticed, even before opening the box,was how incredibly light it was. I swear I thought it was empty. I immediately brought the box into my office and just sat it there. I didn’t want to crack it open right there like a little kid on Christmas morning so I decide to wait until I got home. Yeah right! It wasn’t five minutes before I grabbed the box cutter and cracked it open and much to my surprise, it wasn’t the 2010 Sortie Black, but the 2011 model. Yeah! Sweet right? When I got home I pulled it fully out of the box to further investigate.

Sure enough, there it was a brand new 2011 Diamonback Sortie Black frame and let me tell you this thing is pretty bad ass. This frame, in my opinion, is sweeter looking than the 2010 model with the red accents, but I must say I was just a tad bummed because I was looking forward to pumping some red bling on it.

One of my first observations was how solid it was. You can put this next to any frame out there and it won’t back down. I was really impressed with the Knucke Box. It’s big and beefy, it’s industrial, this thing is mean looking, kind of RoboCop mean looking and I can’t wait to see how it handles the trails.

Other reactions were some of the weird angles on the bike. Check out the shots below to see what you think. I thought it was pretty interesting how everything links together.

This frame is definitely tight and I can’t thank ST.com and Diamondback enough for hooking me up. Now I just have to build it! Never done it before but looking forward to it. Don’t hesitate to throw in some suggestions. I’ll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Sweet. Yeah, DB told us they ran out of the 2010s and apparently you’re the first person IN THE WORLD to own the 2011 frame! I’m sure you’re dying to get it built up so you can ride it – and we’re dying to hear how it rides!

There are a good number us guys on here who have built up frames from the ground up so feel free to post any questions you have. There’s probably a link to a full build up on the site somewhere from Element22 as well if you need to reference something. Also, with the first frame I built up it helped to make a full written list of items I’d need so I could make sure I had everything before getting started. There’s nothing worse than getting part of the way through and realixing you can’t finish things until you have some sorry $3 part that no one stocks in your LBS.

The list is the best thing you can do. I am building a new bike as we speak and the list helped alot it also helped see how much moneys I spent. I was going to just put everything from my old frame on this one but then changed my mined and started buying new stuff or take off from others thats almost new. check the sites out for take off people buy new bikes and want different things on there and you can get a good price for new stuff or very little use.

Cable housing ferrules. I almost always forget them.

Frame looks good! You should build it up murdered out – all black everything!

I will do a list for sure, in fact I printed the spec from Diamonback’s site to get me started on that. But I guess my fist question would be where to start? Or does it really matter? I thought I’d start with the easy stuff, i.e. seatpost & seat, handlebars & stem, etc. Then get into fork, drivetrain, wheelset, etc. But wouldn’t each component effect the next in many cases?

I’d start with the most important stuff first: wheels and fork. Those will eat up a huge portion of your budget, and have the most effect on how the bike will ride. Once you get those sorted out, move on to the other stuff and get the best you can afford/are willing to spend.

Plus, the fork you decide on will determine which wheels, depending on the axle type.

"dgaddis" wrote

Cable housing ferrules. I almost always forget them.

Frame looks good! You should build it up murdered out – all black everything!

My current Trance is like that and it’s pretty pimp.

I haven’t decided yet, but I think this time I’m gonna drop some hints of that metallic steel gray in to play off the Knuckle Box. If I can find a gray fork, I may do that. But really I’m gonna be at the mercy of the clearance and blowout deals. My wife’s about to have our first baby any day now (due on 19th) and dropping a bunch of coin on components won’t go over too well 😕

"trek7k" wrote

Sweet. Yeah, DB told us they ran out of the 2010s and apparently you’re the first person IN THE WORLD to own the 2011 frame! I’m sure you’re dying to get it built up so you can ride it – and we’re dying to hear how it rides!

Dude joetutt, you got the hook up man! That frame looks so killer, congrats on winning it!

Also, I’d just like to say a big thanks to ST.com for the flat pedals. When the snow melts off and everything dries up, I’ll have to throw them on my DH rig and take it for a spin!

"joetutt" wrote

I haven’t decided yet, but I think this time I’m gonna drop some hints of that metallic steel gray in to play off the Knuckle Box. If I can find a gray fork, I may do that.

I think throwing some gun metal gray on there to match up with the knuckle box would be killer!! You can always play off the white/red in the rear there as well.

"Goo" wrote

[quote="trek7k":224r2a41]Sweet. Yeah, DB told us they ran out of the 2010s and apparently you’re the first person IN THE WORLD to own the 2011 frame! I’m sure you’re dying to get it built up so you can ride it – and we’re dying to hear how it rides!

Dude joetutt, you got the hook up man! That frame looks so killer, congrats on winning it!

Also, I’d just like to say a big thanks to ST.com for the flat pedals. When the snow melts off and everything dries up, I’ll have to throw them on my DH rig and take it for a spin![/quote:224r2a41]
      I know man I’m so stoked! Thanks! Oh and if you want to donate those pedals to the bike build I’ll PM you my address 😆

"eastwood" wrote

[quote="joetutt":1kwls63g] I haven’t decided yet, but I think this time I’m gonna drop some hints of that metallic steel gray in to play off the Knuckle Box. If I can find a gray fork, I may do that.

I think throwing some gun metal gray on there to match up with the knuckle box would be killer!! You can always play off the white/red in the rear there as well.[/quote:1kwls63g]

Wouldn’t it? I think that’s what I’m gonna do.

Yeah, man. Nice looking frame for sure. Good luck on the build. It ought to be a great learning experience. So, when will that Trance be for sale?

"joetutt" wrote

[quote="Goo":38gowh1n][quote="trek7k":38gowh1n]Sweet. Yeah, DB told us they ran out of the 2010s and apparently you’re the first person IN THE WORLD to own the 2011 frame! I’m sure you’re dying to get it built up so you can ride it – and we’re dying to hear how it rides!

Also, I’d just like to say a big thanks to ST.com for the flat pedals. When the snow melts off and everything dries up, I’ll have to throw them on my DH rig and take it for a spin![/quote:38gowh1n]
      I know man I’m so stoked! Thanks! Oh and if you want to donate those pedals to the bike build I’ll PM you my address 😆[/quote:38gowh1n]
      😆 😆 Haha not a chance!

What would match that bike nicely is the new Easton Havoc wheels bars and stems….Or if your into saving weight, the Haven line of products…. The graphics and performance will match the frameset nicely…

That is a sweet looking frame joetuttt…congrats…

Since you already have a murdered out bike (sweet btw) maybe you could go a different route. It isn’t really my cup of tea but I have seen some guys rigs with a tasteful mix of colors…doesnt look too bad but I wouldn’t personally do it. I do think that your original plan of red accents wouldn’t look bad either…

I forgot to type this a second ago…I am really curious about that knuckle box setup. Can you post something up once you get it out on the trails?

"element22" wrote

What would match that bike nicely is the new Easton Havoc wheels bars and stems….Or if your into saving weight, the Haven line of products…. The graphics and performance will match the frameset nicely…

Absolutely! The Haven line looks awesome. Cha Ching though 😮 Hopefully I’ll come across some sweet deals.

"kvnrbrts" wrote

I forgot to type this a second ago…I am really curious about that knuckle box setup. Can you post something up once you get it out on the trails?

Hell yeah! When this thing is built, expect a full report for sure. May be a while though…

"joetutt" wrote

[quote="kvnrbrts":1ebn4vow]I forgot to type this a second ago…I am really curious about that knuckle box setup. Can you post something up once you get it out on the trails?

Hell yeah! When this thing is built, expect a full report for sure. May be a while though…[/quote:1ebn4vow]

You know the beauty of the situation is you have your Trance to ride in the meantime. When I was looking to build a new bike my wife (the boss) put a pretty tight strain on my budget. I was forced to take apart my hardtail to put my Titus together. The frame is one thing I wasn’t budging on…I wanted a Titus, I have always loved Titus frames. I have been upgrading components as they break or as the bike fund fills back up. Will be putting the Cannondale hardtail back together ASAP! I miss having a back-up.

That is sweet you won that frame!! I think you will like the frame allot. I just bought a ’10 sortie three frame. Im nearing the end of buying all my parts, then the build will be any day now. just waiting on a few things. Well then i have to wait for the snow to melt(Buffalo,NY)..so im in no hurry
      if your wondering how the frame works..i found this video…(its not me) but a good shot of the knuckle box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-ne04f1wI&feature=fvsr
      But post up some pics i like too see what you did…

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.