Diamondback Release 2

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Looking for a decent but cheap full suspension trail bike that I would also ride some DH on. Been looking around and found the Diamondback Release 2. Seems like a good price and quality components, but this will be my first full suspension and I want to make a good decision. Thoughts?

Check out Marin.

I looked at the Marin Hawk Hill lineup but they seemed to have less travel and lower quality components. Would the Hawk Hill lineup be the correct type of bike, or is there a different lineup that would better suit my needs?

You are going to have to elaborate on what you really want.  People say “downhill” when they mean going down hills sometimes.

Real downhill bikes cost more than five grand, typically, and they aren’t much good for anything else.

If you want a good, entry level full-suspension general or “trail” bike for under, say two grand, Marin has it going on.  Go up to $2500 and your selection gets wider, although the 3-level Marin bikes are quite competitive at that price point as well.

If you’re willing to buy used… An intense tracer ’15 or’16 top of the line can be had for under $2k. The aluminum frames are built to last. Probably one of the best all around bikes in my opinion.

To answer your question bout the diamondback… Pretty good geometry, it won’t be too happy in the gnarly DH stuff but it will handle it fine. Line choice is key when taking limited rear travel bikes down gngrly DH trails.

I got my first full suspension last year and settled on the 2017 Release 1. Ridden it the past year and love it. It’s a great bang for your buck bike especially on sale and the Release 2 is a nicely spec’d Bike. Only thing I’ve changed is converted tubeless other than that I’ve been more than happy with mine. I Have not done any true downhill on it though so can’t speak to that. Good luck with the new bike decision.

My pick for an all around, with occasional down hill, but not too expensive, would be a Giant Trance.

My actual pick, and what I bought, but not cheap, is an Evil Insurgent.

The Release and the Trance are actually pretty similar, I like the rear linkage on the Trance much better, but the Release has a degree slacker head angle.

For an inexpensive all rounder with a good build, you could check out Commencal. I think the Meta v4.2 would be much more fitting for DH and bike parks, although Diamondback has really stepped up their game recently. Its personal preference though, depending on frame geometry etc…
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>The release is a trail bike so it would be a bit steeper, whereas an enduro style like the commencal meta would be more slack and better for downhill.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Dunno if that helps</p>

First of all, ignore all the “opinions”.  Get on the bike and test it.  That said the release is a good trail style bike that will do DH in a pinch.  66 degree head angle makes descending more confidence inspiring to me.  It’s also a good climber.  Have fun and good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.