Diamondback Contest: Win a Bike Frame, Pedals, and More!

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Diamondback Contest: Win a Bike Frame, Pedals, and More!

Tagged: 

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author

This is the official thread for the 2010 Diamondback Mountain Bike Review contest. You can check the leaderboard and get all the deets here:

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … -25-10.php

Contest ends 12/24/10.

This is going to be an awesome contest!

Just a heads up: we found a small bug in the leaderboard code that was incorrectly calculating point totals for some members. After fixing the bug we did a few spot checks and everything seems to be working now but let us know if you think your points are not being tallied correctly.

In case anyone is wondering, points for adding new gear items and video links will not be added until the item/video has been approved. Points for reviews are awarded immediately but are subject to change if a review is removed.

A note about gear video submissions: Tips for getting your video links approved.

1. The name of the gear should be in the title of the video and/or the video description
      2. There should be some mention of the gear in the video itself (either spoken or written)
      3. Include a full shot of the gear (i.e. not just the handlebars of a bike)
      4. Video length and utility will be considered
      5. Review style videos are preferred

At the end of the day, the video link approval process will be subjective but as long as your video hits most of these points you’re good to go!

In what instance would adding "new items" NOT be approved, besides the obvious of it already being listed?

"joetutt" wrote

In what instance would adding "new items" NOT be approved, besides the obvious of it already being listed?

Thanks for asking. A few reasons products may not be approved:

– Not a mountain bike product
      – Not enough info for us to add the product (i.e. missing web link, image, and/or description)
      – Product is not available in the US (rare)
      – Manufacturer has asked us to remove the product listing
      – Copyright issues (to avoid this we ask folks to copy the item description directly from the manufacturer’s website)

We may need to add to this list but this should be a good start…

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="joetutt":1mcimmnu]In what instance would adding "new items" NOT be approved, besides the obvious of it already being listed?

Thanks for asking. A few reasons products may not be approved:

– Not a mountain bike product
      – Not enough info for us to add the product (i.e. missing web link, image, and/or description)
      – Product is not available in the US (rare)
      – Manufacturer has asked us to remove the product listing
      – Copyright issues (to avoid this we ask folks to copy the item description directly from the manufacturer’s website)

We may need to add to this list but this should be a good start…[/quote:1mcimmnu]

Another question in regards to this: I was adding gear yesterday, and many manufacturer’s websites weren’t listing MSRP for some components. At first, I omitted the MSRP if it wasn’t listed on the manufacturer’s site, and then after I thought that wasn’t enough information, I started researching the average price the component was selling for on other websites on the internet.

So if it isn’t listed on the main website, would rather us omit the price or do some research?

"mudhunny" wrote

Just a heads up: we found a small bug in the leaderboard code that was incorrectly calculating point totals for some members. After fixing the bug we did a few spot checks and everything seems to be working now but let us know if you think your points are not being tallied correctly.

trek7k giveth and mudhunny taketh away 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="mudhunny":5hai1vzf]Just a heads up: we found a small bug in the leaderboard code that was incorrectly calculating point totals for some members. After fixing the bug we did a few spot checks and everything seems to be working now but let us know if you think your points are not being tallied correctly.

trek7k giveth and mudhunny taketh away 😆[/quote:5hai1vzf]
      Haha yeah, I jumped from 30 something to 57 and then back down to about 40. I think I’m where I should be now though. (this was earlier today)

I have 2!! I’m so PUMPED!!

For the purpose of reviewing, are ‘shorts’ the same as ‘pants’?

Some concerns about shoddy reviews have been posted over in the blog comments. Are the mods going to personally look through all the reviews and weed out those that are inferior? That’d take a lot of work, but there’s been some junk posted of late….

Example:
      Maxxis Minion DHF Tire
      http://www.singletracks.com/mtbreviews/ … /2025.html

Pros Great grip. good cornering
      Cons Heavy.
      Verdict good downhill tire

^^Yep, I’ve noticed a good bit of stuff like that getting posted. You could post reviews like that for stuff you haven’t even ridden.

Here is, in my opinion, a very fine example of how a review should be written 😉

http://www.singletracks.com/mtbreviews/ … /1291.html

Please remember it took us a bit of time to arrange this contest for you folks. As GoldenGoose mentioned. Please provide a proper review which is actually informative rather than…."Works great"….That in it self provides very little for other people to base their decisions.

Rather than…Works great…. How does it work….Where did you use it. What conditions does it work well in. What if any were the problems. What did you notice when using the item compared to not. What was the outcome (quieter, smoother, less friction, lighter, stiffer. harder to shift, picked up dirt in — conditions…etc)..

If in the future we do this again the good folks who provide these items are looking for reviews that they in turn can use to better their products…

Cheers

Damn. I was reviewing a shit load of trails from my years back in wisconsin, and then i looked here and trail reviews aren’t in the contest…oh, well, it was a fun hour on singletracks.com

Just an update for those who have submitted new products and video links: Please be patient as we work through all the submissions over the next few days. We’ll send you an email if we have any questions or problems with your pending items. Thanks!

After going through some of the new product submissions we have a couple more tips for everyone:

– Flavors and colors don’t count as new products. Example: Clif Shots (good); Clif Shots Black Cherry (bad). If you’d like to review a particular flavor (nutrition products) or color (bike, helmet, tool, etc.), please mention that in your review of the general product.
      – Product submissions missing a photo and/or description will be rejected. Unfortunately we don’t have time to track down this info for you.
      – Duplicate products will be rejected. Please do a thorough search to make sure the product you’re submitting hasn’t already been listed.

Dang the competition is stiff!

Update on progress: We just made it through new product submissions added in November. To give everyone an idea of the volume we’re processing, in the first 2 days of the contest we had 400+ new products added!

Thanks to everyone for being patient, if you have any questions about your submissions, please post them here. Unfortunately we won’t be able to respond to emails or PMs about the contest.

Just wanted to let everyone know we had to update the contest prize photo today because the previous image showed the 2011 frame. The original contest info listed the prize correctly – a 2010 Diamondback Sortie Black mountain bike frame – but we grabbed the wrong photo. Oops – if anyone wants to take back their submissions because of the photo mix-up just let us know. 😀

For those who would like to update or modify a gear review based on the discussion here and on the blog, we’ve just added the ability to edit reviews. Just click the "update" link beside your review to add more info.

And in a related note, we’re beginning the process of reviewing the reviews that have already been submitted (we know, it sounds ridiculous but we want to make sure the contest is completely fair). The process works like this: 3 individuals will review every contest submission and rate it either "good" or "bad." We won’t see a user name with the review to reduce the chance of bias. If a review gets 2 or more "bad" flags, the review will be removed and won’t count toward the contest totals.

So – if you know your reviews suck, hurry back and update them. Otherwise, if you find one of your reviews has been removed feel free to add another – but just make sure it’s a quality review. 😀

Man, I have been wanting the ability to edit reviews forever! Mostly because my typing sucks and the entry form is pretty small, so I have had a lot of typos end up being permanent.

Sounds fair to me!

"trek7k" wrote

For those who would like to update or modify a gear review based on the discussion here and on the blog, we’ve just added the ability to edit reviews. Just click the "update" link beside your review to add more info.

And in a related note, we’re beginning the process of reviewing the reviews that have already been submitted (we know, it sounds ridiculous but we want to make sure the contest is completely fair). The process works like this: 3 individuals will review every contest submission and rate it either "good" or "bad." We won’t see a user name with the review to reduce the chance of bias. If a review gets 2 or more "bad" flags, the review will be removed and won’t count toward the contest totals.

So – if you know your reviews suck, hurry back and update them. Otherwise, if you find one of your reviews has been removed feel free to add another – but just make sure it’s a quality review. 😀

Awesome, sounds great! Just noticed that added ability: it’s a great idea!

Also glad to know that the same standard will be applied to everyone.

As we continue to submit reviews over the next couple of weeks, will they get added to the queue of reviews that need to get reviewed?

I don’t think I can catch up to joe with his 800 points. As a mechanic at a diamondback dealer those Sortie Blacks come by often. I’ve been drooling over one for a while. 😉 We also carry Raleigh which are always great values.

Make that 900 points.

Make that 1000

I hope he enjoys the frame. They ride nice. I was thinking of putting my 100mm Durin on the front x9 drivetrain and Crossmax wheelset on it 😮 The 100mm fork on the front steepens out the head angle a bit, just how I like it.

Is there a reason some of my Mavic gear I submitted hasn’t appeared yet? I know arm and leg warmers and socks along with gloves do qualify as mountain gear as I wear them on my wintery rides. 😀 Probably just a logjam with all the submissions you guys probably get!

One more note for those who are interested in adding new products they don’t own or plan to review: Please submit items that are available for sale in the US or Canada only. We don’t have anything against products available outside the US but since most of our members live in North America we want to keep the category listings as relevant as possible. Thanks!

which ones aren’t availiable in the US?

"jbelmont" wrote

which ones aren’t availiable in the US?

He didn’t necessarily say that your gear wasn’t available in the US, sounded like he was making a general statement.

Although it has set me to wondering if that’s why some of the gear I submitted like two weeks ago hasn’t shown up yet, but I just assumed they were still crazy busy from all of this!

At this point we’ve processed all new gear submitted through mid-day December 17 (we were all caught up before the weekend but recently got slammed). The most common reasons for products not being approved are:

1. Redundant (same product but different size/color/flavor that doesn’t warrant its own listing)
      2. Product already listed (please search before adding new products)
      3. Product isn’t MTB-specific (we’re seeing a lot of road/commuter/BMX/cyclocross stuff being added)

As a general rule, if you don’t know the gear well enough to know if it’s available in the US then you definitely shouldn’t be adding it. 😀

And the competition heats up! 😼 I’m thoroughly enjoying this. Racking my noggin submitting stuff.

We’re doing our best to wade through the latest contest submissions but at this point it looks like we won’t be able to announce the winner until several days after the contest has officially ended. Thanks to everyone who has participated so far, we can’t wait to name the winners!

I’m looking forward to the announcements. At least we all get stickers. A ton of Singletracks.com stickers are going to find their way onto my race hardtail once this is over.

When does the contest actually end. Tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight?

@trek7k

I submitted almost the entire Pedro’s website on the first or second day of the contest and got credit for none of them yet jbelmont has credit for all of them on 12/17 & 18. That took me a long time, what’s up with that?

"joetutt" wrote

@trek7k

I submitted almost the entire Pedro’s website on the first or second day of the contest and got credit for none of them yet jbelmont has credit for all of them on 12/17 & 18. That took me a long time, what’s up with that?

Not sure how that’s possible – we approve submissions in the order they’re received. You added all the Park tools at the beginning of the contest, could that be what you’re thinking about?

I’m certain I posted almost all Pedros website, down to the bottle wrench and umbrella, within the first couple, three days…positive!

Bummer – we don’t delete anything that’s submitted (we just make it "inactive") and unfortunately I don’t see any Pedro’s items linked to your account. Don’t worry though, there’s still a little time left – contest ends at midnight tonight (we added a countdown timer to the contest page just below the prize list).

And by the way – we aren’t approving the umbrella anyway. 😀

What I submitted the umbrella as a MTB Gift. Thats a legitimate submission! Haha.

Well that sucks 😢

I too submitted the umbrella as a gift 😆 I thought a legitimate gift.

Yeah, nothing says mountain biking like a yellow umbrella, right? 😆

Now, maybe if the handle was made out of a recycled MTB fork leg or something…

Any idea how close the race is? I’m sweating over here.

Alot of the Vaude stuff wasn’t included. Especially the gloves. There were a ton of gloves and mtb packs.

Any news on the win count? Dying to hear how it turned out.

"trek7k" wrote

at this point it looks like we won’t be able to announce the winner until several days after the contest has officially ended.

Dang I submitted all of the pedro’s stuff too….

"Goo" wrote

Dang I submitted all of the pedro’s stuff too….

Seriously?

I think he is being facetious. Anyway thanks for holding the contest, Diamondback, Xpedo and Intense Tires!

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="Goo":amtai2rv]Dang I submitted all of the pedro’s stuff too….

Seriously?[/quote:amtai2rv]

Hey man, I know it sounds petty but I busted my balls submitting these items. I wrote down all my entries on scrap paper. When I got to work this morning I looked at my notes and sure enough all of Pedro’s is on there in the exact same order as it’s listed on their website. That’s a lot of entries!

Everything aside, great contest! As painstaking as it was on our end, I’m sure it was worse on your end having to listen to all us heckling out here. Thanks for holding it and thanks to the sponsors.

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="Goo":hf8p620x]Dang I submitted all of the pedro’s stuff too….

Seriously?[/quote:hf8p620x]

No I’m being for real. I submitted the entire website.

"joetutt" wrote

I wrote down all my entries on scrap paper.

Screen shots or it didn’t happen 😆

The suspense is Killing me.

More importantly, (to me) did anyone win the mystery wish list item?

Snowmageddon there goes my mtb plans.

My axiom and sugoi stuff still hasn’t posted. Ahhh

Viewing 59 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.