Diamondback Apex Elite?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Diamondback Apex Elite?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

So I took my cheap K2 bike to my local Performance Bike shop since I my father-in-law swears by their maintenance department (he used to race road bikes). I saw the Diamondback Apex Elite and it looks like a decent deal ($750)…and I get 10% off due to being in law enforcement. I’m still new and trying to learn which components are good…does this look like a decent deal?

[url:2rc9oc1q]http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1158877_-1_401112__401112[/url:2rc9oc1q]

Bottom Bracket:FSA
      Brakes: Shimano Hydraulic, BR-M355, 180/160 rotors
      Cassette: Shimano 12/36, 9-speed
      Chain: KMC 9-speed
      Crankset: SR Suntour XCM-T414, 44/32/22T
      Fork: SR Suntour XCM-HLO 27.5"/29" w/ 100mm Travel, Hydraulic Lockout
      Frame: 6061 butted aluminum, double water bottle mounts, replaceable rear hanger, standard 1 1/8" head tube
      Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
      Grips/Tape: Kraton DB4L, rubber, 135mm
      Handlebar: Aluminum, 650mm width, 15mm rise, 6 degree backsweep
      Headset: FSA IS-3 integrated
      Levers: Shimano Hydraulic
      Pedals: Aluminum, Black
      Rear Derailleur: Simano Deore, Shadow Design 9-speed
      Rear Shock: None
      Saddle: Diamondback
      Seatpost: Diamondback 30.9x350mm
      Shifters: Shimano Alivio, 3×9
      Stem: Aluminum, 7 degree rise
      Tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob; 27.5" Wheel Size: 27.5×2.25; 29" Wheel Size: 29×2.25
      Video: _bWbCfl_wrU E0HIlHYHQNw
      Wheelset: Diamondback SL Alloy, Doublewall Rims; 27.5" Wheel Size: XS, S, SM; 29" Wheel Size: MED, ML, XL
      Rating: 4

It seems like a decent deal for the price. As you will hear frequently, give it a test ride or 2 and make sure it feels good on a ride. If it feels like a nice ride, I’d get it. Hope that helps.

I have a few others in mind, but they all have multiple online reviews. Being as this is an exclusive bike for this company, I can’t find a thing on it. The best I’ve found for most Diamondback bikes is: 1. Diamondback sucks because they sell them at Sports Authority, or 2. Higher end Diamondback bikes are decent entry level bikes and a pretty good value.

What you read is probably true about Diamondbacks and making a bike purchase is so difficult. For me, I have never been completely happy after any bike I bought. I just want to keep buying better and more as I gain more experience.

All I need is a bike that will last me 3-5 years, with maybe an upgrade or two. If I purchase a bike over $1000, it will be because I decided to race.

I’ve seen the bike at Performance. It’s a bit heavy, but not too bad. The fork is crap, IMO, but it is standard for that price range. Otherwise, the component mix is decent. If you buy a bike from Performance, make sure to get the Team Performance membership. On a $700 bike, you will get $70 back right away, which pays for the membership. I always have one and make my money back buying stuff like tubes, tires, helmets, etc.

That’s the plan…its pretty much knocking $70 off the price because you’ll always need something.

For about $100 more (maybe less if there are any of last years available) you could pick up a Trek X-Cal 7 or maybe an 8 if your lucky. Check with local LBS’s and see what else is available before jumping in. Depending on how hard you ride those components on the Diamondback may not last for 5 years.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.