Diamonback is the top of the line

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Diamonback is the top of the line

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I was at a Sports Authority outside of Boston last night, killing some time in work clothes (tie/ dress pants). I was checking out their bike department and was entertaining myself looking at a pretty cheap Diamondback for $600+, eye-balling the components, and what not, when a sales guy walked over.

He looked at me and delivered a very slimy, smarmy line of "that’s a top of the line bike for that kind of price."
      I did the Stewie Griffin slow head turn to look him right in the eye and said "No, no it certainly is not."
      He kinda shrank back and said something about "well, for someone getting into the sport…" and trailed off as I turned away.

I mean, kind of a jerk move by me, but someone had to teach him. 😀

😆 good work!

Ouch! Burn! 😼

But serves him right for trying to manipulate an "unsuspecting" customer.

PS it is worth mentioning that Diamondback does make some pretty awesome bikes, as well as solid entry-level rigs http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ev … est-rides/

But that guy trying to sell you on a $600 bike as "top of the line" is ludicrous!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

PS it is worth mentioning that Diamondback does make some pretty awesome bikes

Right, but they don’t sell *those* ones at Sports Authority 😉

The question is, what is the best mountain bike $600 can buy? The sales guy did qualify his statement by adding "… for that kind of price." 😆

I haven’t studied that end of the MTB pricing spectrum lately but I’d probably be looking at an entry-level Trek or Specialized…

"jeff" wrote

The question is, what is the best mountain bike $600 can buy? The sales guy did qualify his statement by adding "… for that kind of price." 😆

I haven’t studied that end of the MTB pricing spectrum lately but I’d probably be looking at an entry-level Trek or Specialized…

Airborne.

Not even kidding… do a price and component comparison of Airborne’s Guardian 29er (or going up a level, the Goblin) VS similar Treks, Specializeds, or Giants. Long story short, the Airborne costs less and has better components.

"jeff" wrote

The question is, what is the best mountain bike $600 can buy?

Paypal me $600 and I’ll go find out. 😆

You know, for science!

Wanna buy a used car? Just asking. 😄 Later,

i got a 2011 Felt Q520 hardtail for $515 and i just got into the sport..has a lockout suntour shock and shimano drivetrain, disc brakes and it looks sweet…great bike but did not care for the stock tires and seat

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="jeff":yxe8il3l]The question is, what is the best mountain bike $600 can buy? The sales guy did qualify his statement by adding "… for that kind of price." 😆

Airborne.

Not even kidding… do a price and component comparison of Airborne’s Guardian 29er (or going up a level, the Goblin) VS similar Treks, Specializeds, or Giants. Long story short, the Airborne costs less and has better components.[/quote:yxe8il3l]

Looking at the Guardian 29er ($599.95 MSRP), Wahoo ($629.99 MSRP), Hardrock Disk 29 ($580.00 MSRP) and the Revel 29er 1 ($545 MSRP) I’d have to agree. It looks like the Guardian is one level higher in most of the component lines.
      – Rock Shox vs Sun Tour
      – X5 vs Shimano Acera/Altus/Alivio (some might be equal there, I’m not sure)
      – 3×9 vs 3×8 drivetrains
      – Hydraulic disc brakes vs mechanical disc brakes
      All were 29ers and as close as I could get to $600 without going over, except for the Trek. They don’t offer a sub-$600 29er that I could find.

Well done!

This is a great thread. You really showed him………

Dicks sporting goods just opened a new store close to me right next to a Norstroms so anytime I have to go with the wife shopping I dont mind because Dicks does carry a lot of neat Stuff. But the funny thing is the sales guys think that the bikes they have rock. I would absolutely destroy them within the first hour. Most of there bikes will only see the beach bike path. I could buy at least two of there bikes for the cost of just one of my rims. You can have a lot of fun with these guys if you just act stupid its a lot of fun listening to the sale pitch and asking a lot of questions to give them a chance to bury themselves.

Anytime I go shopping with the wife I love to entertain myself by asking a lot of stupid questions of the sales scum. Just last night at Fashion Island in Newport Beach I got real serious with the girl and asked if they used child labor and is there manufacturing process green. This area is full of really wealthy people walking around with there dogs letting them crap right on the floor with some kid running around picking it up. So if you hate shopping for anything other than bikes make the best of it and have some fun while your at it.

"revans1961" wrote

This area is full of really wealthy people walking around with there dogs letting them crap right on the floor….

I’m sorry, but I’m in a fit of laughter after reading this. I should turn six. 😀

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.