DHX AIR or 5 COIL

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Just cant decide between the two I weigh 200# and going to be duing intermediate DH and single track nothing real difficult but hopefully the better I get I can do more technical DH and singletrack.
      Any info. helps Thanks

cjm

I ran a DHX 5.0 coil on my Norco Shore for nearly three years. I am currently running a DHX5.0 coil on my Transition Blindside and 5.0 air on my Transition Preston. Both are outstanding shocks and probably best in their class. The fact that you can adjust the propedal without any tools is priceless for a bike that has to do a lot. I have no complaints about the coil.

What I am about to outline are really things with all air shocks.

The DHX5.0 air is very close to a linear rate air shock. But, it’s not. I was able to make the shock much more progressive my cranking up the air pressure. I would call that a push. Some people prefer the more progressive rate of an air shock. Personally, I prefer to let my suspension design handle that.

Air springs heat under heavy usage. If they are not dispersing the heat correctly the shock will behave harshly. My DHX air has gotten hot to the touch on high octane single track, but I haven’t felt it get harsh. I had an Swinger Air 4-way that I would have to stop to let cool down.

The DHX air is a bit infamous for "stuck-down." Every air shock has had some rider at some point, experience stuck-down or something very similar. None have it as commonly reported as the DHX air series. I have tortured my DHX 5.0 air and not had stuck down. My normal riding partner has put his through more and still no stuck down. Both of us followed the manual when setting up the shock.

The only real advantage the air has is weight, or there lack of. The DHX coil has the perk of being cheaper and more reliable. If I had to have one bike with one shock, I would base it on money more than anything. If I had the extra dough for the air shock I would get that. Generally, I would spend the extra money on upgrades elsewhere.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.