DESCRIBE YOUR MOST KNEE SHAKING RIDE.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD TO THE FAVORITE TRAIL QUESTION AND ASK FOR YOUR MOST KNEE SHAKING RIDE.YA KNOW,THE ONE THAT MAKES YA FEEL LIKE SUCKING YOUR THUMB. 😮

Ain’t had many of those…. But the last time was coming down Upper Columbine here in the Springs. The trail is very narrow with sick exposure & numerous switchbacks…. And you can get a good head of steam going before each switchback, so knowing how to powerslide is essential. By the end, my forearms & hands were shaking pretty bad.

Green’s Lick at Pisgah in western NC.

I was going too fast and the jumps were coming too quick. I wasn’t setting up properly between the jumps and so I ended up doing a couple of front wheelies before I finally just slammed on the brakes to regroup.

I almost went over once, it was so close I have no idea how I saved it.

By the time I got to the bottom, I just pulled over laid the bike down and leaned up against a tree.

Scary but I can’t wait to do it again.

no knee-shaking rides yet, but I bet that’ll change once I get out onto Bell Isle, Buttermilk, or Northbank. there have been some sections of deep run park that I tried and I was going a bit too fast for my skill level and almost had my feet part ways with the pedals which was a bit worrysome, but other than that nothing. when I get on Buttermilk, there is one section that from what I’ve heard has sick exposure so I’ll take that section slow until I build up my skills a LOT more. one mtb’r didn’t do this and died in that section because of it. may he rest in peace

I just had a thought…..
      The terrain & trail on Columbine is really not that crazy….
      And taking into consideration as comparison, the trails at Keystone….
      I’m really surprised I didn’t think of Keystone first as my most knee-shaking ride. I dunno, maybe I just had that much fun…. ’cause coming down Mosquito Coast and dropping two guys on rented Giant DH rigs was sweet!
      A lot of the trails at Keystone have the potential to chew-up & spit out unsuspecting riders, even on the easy runs. And for most of the day there, that’s what we rode. But at the end, after my wife was done for the day, I decided to see what there was on offer for my tastes in trails. Coming down Mosquito offered just the right amount of roots, rocks, rollers, small doubles, bridges, and chutes.

Any ride where there is potential for me to go over the handle bars into a pile of rocks is knee shaking to me. Lots of times that is just a short section in an otherwise mellow ride, but that’s the way it is.

One example: the drop-in from Mary’s Loop to Horsethief Loop in Loma Colorado is something I will never even attempt. Same for the Portal Trail in Moab. The scary section is rideable, but the slightest bobble and you are instantly off a 500′ cliff. No thanks; I just walk that part. It definitely deserves a "knee shaker" rating since as far as I know three people have died trying to ride it.

Ben Nevis in Fort William, Scotland — downhill track on an unfamiliar bike that was too small, reversed brakes, and an adrenaline rush that was out of control. The next morning, my hands hurt from gripping the bars so tight!

I did two nasty spills, too, but hey, what’s a glorious ride without some battle scars?!?

I don`t know if this counts, but here goes, back in the 90`s I rode a road bike to get into better shape for MTB racing, I was sucking wind at the back of the pack when we went around a corner to find that one of the guys that we were riding with had been hit by a car (OK, so maybe I was sucking wind so much that I got dropped to the second pack). It broke his pelvis among other things, and by the time the ambulance carted him away, not only was my knees shaking, but my stomach was tied into knots.

Did I mention that road bikes suck?

Did I mention that road bikes suck?

Agreed! 😃 😼

thats really cool you guys posted.now heres my knee shaker,we were riding up at white ranch and got up to the lookout point where theres a bench to sit on to overlook the city.just a little ways down from there is pretty much just a hill,about 70% grade or so.anyway im riding along and my riding partner made this horrific noise like he went down hard.almost sounded like his head hitting rock or somthing.i dont normally turn around to see whats behind me when im on the edge of a 3 or 4 hundred foot 70 % grade hill and on my brand new 07 stumpjumper.when i turned around i thought i had slowed enough i could keep track of what i was doing on the trail,and sure enough i see mike is fine and rolling on two wheels and not splayed out on the ground in a heap.just at that moment when i was turning back around i lost my balance and fell over towards the down slope.im falling backwards down the hill and looking for somthing to hold on to.its true when your crashing everything seems like its in sow motion.i grab onto wha looks like a little bush that would hold me from going over backwards,although it didnt hold anything.that little bush came out of the ground roots and all like it was in sand.it was at that moment i seriously thought i was going for a ride down that hill head over heals and slamming right into the trees and/or rocks.my knees shook for two days probably.it took a little while to get that feeling out of my head.i actually went over 2 or 3 times before i just layed flat like a sheet of plywood and stiffened up like a 2×4 and just hugged the hill to stop tumbling down the hill.whewww. 😮

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.