Derailleur Issues Hardrock Sport

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I have issues w/ my derailleur which I have googled on and can’t seem to find a cause. After riding thru roots and rock gardens… I go to power down and nothing happens. My pedals just spin like the chain is off – but the chain is on. It eventually kicks in usually after making a loud "clank", but I find the situation dangerous.

I have had the issue before and had the bike in for repairs where they told me there was an issue w/ the rear hub. After 2 trips on a course w/ heavy rock gardens and roots, it happened again. Towards the end of the ride it started happening even when trying to do a hard climb. Is my derailleur shot? Thanks!!

Sounds like a broken freehub body.

This is a replaceable part on some hubs, but not on others.

Madd’s right. Again. To be honest, I’ve never known him to be wrong. He’s fixed my bike more than once. I just thought you might be interested in how the wonder that is your freehub works. If so, http://dirt.mpora.com/features/work-freehub-body.html and if not, kittens!

"maddslacker" wrote

Sounds like a broken freehub body.

Thanks for the reply. Due to the wear and tear – should I look to upgrade the cassette or any other derailleur components while I get the hub replaced?

"Black-Man" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":16vn1dzz]Sounds like a broken freehub body.

Thanks for the reply. Due to the wear and tear – should I look to upgrade the cassette or any other derailleur components while I get the hub replaced?[/quote:16vn1dzz]

Nah. The internals of the hub failed, nothing wrong with the cassette or derailleur. Chances are either the pawls/teeth stripped, or, the pawl springs broke. Like madd said, with some hubs these parts can be replaced, with others, they cannot. If you need a new hub, might as well get an all new rear wheel with a better mechanism, it wont cost much more than having the current one taken apart and rebuilt with a new hub, and a better stronger mechanism wont fail again down the road.

Just curious, how much do you weight, and what kind of hub is it?

Oh, and great link Schwimm! For more hub geekery, here’s the internals of the Industry Nine hubs. Six pawls, 60 ratchet teeth. Three of the pawls are offset from the other three, so only three pawls engage at a time, but there’s 120 points of engagement, which is essentially instantaneous. The offset pawls is a smart way to double the engagement without making the teeth smaller and more fragile. They sound cool too!

"dgaddis" wrote

The offset pawls is a smart way to double the engagement without making the teeth smaller and more fragile. They sound cool too!

My brother runs I9 hubs on both his bikes. They sound even better than the playing cards in the spokes did when I was little 😃

"schwim" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":3m4zq0kj]The offset pawls is a smart way to double the engagement without making the teeth smaller and more fragile. They sound cool too!

My brother runs I9 hubs on both his bikes. They sound even better than the playing cards in the spokes did when I was little 😃[/quote:3m4zq0kj]

They’re awesome hubs. The new Torch series hubs are even better than the old ones, less drag, and a lot lighter. Super easy to service too, which is nice.

I’m about to build myself another set of wheels (there will be an "On Test" blog post in the near future), and I really wanted to put I9s on them, but just don’t have the dough to spend on them at the moment, so I went with the more affordable Hope hubs instead. But I really want the I9s!!!

Thanks for all the help… I am ~175lbs and I have no idea what type of hub I currently have – whatever stock hub Specialized used on the Hardrock Sport circa 2006. I’ll ask for a new rear wheel along w/ the hub suggestions. No need for a new cassette? I guess that’s good news.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.