Deer "Attacks" Cyclist

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Remember that video of the mountain biker in South Africa getting run over by an antelope? Think you’re safe because you live in the US? Think again…

[flash=580,435:1xthf01h]http://www.youtube.com/v/37WUuOc_zRQ[/flash:1xthf01h]

In the slow speed you can tell he was "lucky" and just got clipped. When I see any deer when I’m riding I am always a little scared something like that will happen and I’ll end up on a show like Tosh.0.

Ha, that’s awesome! A little less "physical" than that antelope crash!

Riding early at FATS once I came with two feet of clipping a deer. Was riding someone well on Skinny and he nailed a squirrel. I had one run between my font and rear tire once also.

I had a squirrel run into my front wheel while road biking on Saturday. I was going 25-30 mph or so and he ran out and hit the side of my wheel, got caught up in the spokes a little, and the wheel kicked him up into my knee! He bounced off and back out into the road–I looked back and he was rolling around on the ground. Hopefully he survived the incident!

Rolling around on the ground does not sound like a happy ending.

That must have scared the shat out of you!

That video is from the Monster Cross at Central Virginia’s Pocahontas State Park last Sunday. I didn’t race, but was there, and wrote a little bit about it here.

If you want to read the rider’s first-hand account of the incident, along with other reasons he thinks Mother Nature is out to get him, go here.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I had a squirrel run into my front wheel while road biking on Saturday. I was going 25-30 mph or so and he ran out and hit the side of my wheel, got caught up in the spokes a little, and the wheel kicked him up into my knee! He bounced off and back out into the road–I looked back and he was rolling around on the ground. Hopefully he survived the incident!

😆 bahahahahaha

I hope the little guy was alright but that’s hilarious

Yeah it was pretty random!! Fun times 😆

When I was younger I hit a chipmunk on my friends bmx bike I was probably doin 20 mph broke the poor guys back leg so we put him out of his misery

It looks more like Cyclist "Attacks" Deer to me! The poor deer was just trying to pass. If we have to yield to the equestrians they shouldn’t we have to yield to the deer also!!! 😆

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":1ksx5h2u]I had a squirrel run into my front wheel while road biking on Saturday. I was going 25-30 mph or so and he ran out and hit the side of my wheel, got caught up in the spokes a little, and the wheel kicked him up into my knee! He bounced off and back out into the road–I looked back and he was rolling around on the ground. Hopefully he survived the incident!

😆 bahahahahaha

I hope the little guy was alright but that’s hilarious[/quote:1ksx5h2u]

Yep that is funny. They are tough little critters though. I’ve had some experience here as well. I saw a ground squirrel on the trail and I made noise to give it a heads up. Apparently it thought the noise meant ‘do a frantic dance then run straight towards my bike’ at which point my left peddle was coming down and it ran smack into it. I took a quick look behind me and saw the brush next to the single-track rustling up a storm like it was flopping around in there. I imagined the poor squirrel screaming (in squirrel language of course) ‘Owowowowowowowowwwww, damn them things bite! Especially the red and black ones.’

Hopefully (if it survived) he will come up with something to help recall that event. I would imagine it to be similar to our poem that we use to remember which colors of a coral snake or king snake touching each other to warn us which it might be. (i.e. Red on yellow friend of fellow, red on black no friend of Jack.)

And the squirrels version; Red on black no friend of jack, nor red on yellow friend of any fellow. (says the squirrel to his/her offspring.)

I’ve never had an issue in the US, but now in NZ where the trails always seem to pass through farm land…I keep running upon herds of sheep and HUGE beef cattle. I’m mostly okay with going by the sheep…but the cattle…they will stare you down and step toward you threateningly. Scares the living crap out of me. Thankfully I’ve only run across two herds so far…but AGH! And I’ve seen those photos of cyclists being charged by cows. I had one run up behind me and just trot behind me. But when I looked back to see its huge head behind me…hello miniature heart attack.

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

I’ve never had an issue in the US, but now in NZ where the trails always seem to pass through farm land…I keep running upon herds of sheep and HUGE beef cattle. I’m mostly okay with going by the sheep…but the cattle…they will stare you down and step toward you threateningly. Scares the living crap out of me. Thankfully I’ve only run across two herds so far…but AGH! And I’ve seen those photos of cyclists being charged by cows. I had one run up behind me and just trot behind me. But when I looked back to see its huge head behind me…hello miniature heart attack.

I would not want to face down with one of those! Even in my truck, they can be intimidating:

(Driving in open range in Colorado)

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I would not want to face down with one of those! Even in my truck, they can be intimidating:

Most of our’s are a little bigger and scarier looking:

Imagine coming down a hill and turning a corner to see this:

Then imagine those all staring you down like this:

One of which was a mother with a youngster…and you know how protective and violent female animals will get for their babies…

and we also have a fair number of these:

I go to an AG Uni so I see people work with cattle and they’re actually quite nice and gentle…but when you get stared down by a cattle blockade on a MTB trail and they take threatening steps forward…no thanks *runs away*

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to mess with those!! 😮

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to mess with those!! 😮

Yeah I was stuck sitting on the trail for a good long while not knowing what to do, trying to wait it out till they left. Luckily a kiwi mtb came by and just rode at them and they’d run out of his way. Apparently that’d how kiwis deal with livestock on their trails and they won’t get attacked. So I gave it a shot, it was either that or be stuck on the side of the mountain for the night, and it worked…but every fibre of my being scream "What the hell are you doing! NO!" When I did it though they sorta ran along the road around me which really scary.

Yep, so….Come to NZ for some epic MTBing 😛 lol.

Yeah, I come from dairy country originally, and that’s what we would do. Just need to make yourself scary looking!

"gar29" wrote

Yeah, I come from dairy country originally, and that’s what we would do. Just need to make yourself scary looking!

I’m basically 5 feet tall…I’m tiny…tell me, how do I make myself look scary? 😛

I have been called intimidating before though.

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

[quote="gar29":mbanp6ac]Yeah, I come from dairy country originally, and that’s what we would do. Just need to make yourself scary looking!

I’m basically 5 feet tall…I’m tiny…tell me, how do I make myself look scary? 😛

I have been called intimidating before though.[/quote:mbanp6ac]
      Good point! Just make sure to ride with a friend who is slower than you! 😆 Remember, you don’t have to be fastest, just not the slowest…

Growing up on a farm with beef cattle I have a bit of experience dealing with them. They are more scared of you than you imagine. They are staring at you because they are trying to determine what your move is going to be. They consider any other living being a predator so they watch in order to determine how to avoid you.

Granted there is the odd cow that will be aggressive but almost always only because you pissed them off for some reason or they are protecting their young. (So just don’t go throwing rocks at them while they are in a shallow stream cooling off. Trust me on this. I know from firsthand.) Just do as the Kiwi did and charge right at them and they mostly likely will move. The one exception is a bull. If you see nuts hanging then be very wary of him. They can be unpredictable, but more than likely he will leave you alone.

"gar29" wrote

Good point! Just make sure to ride with a friend who is slower than you! 😆 Remember, you don’t have to be fastest, just not the slowest…

lol, trouble is i’m a lone nomad here. Don’t have very many MTBer friends and the ones I do know aren’t gonna run off to ride for a month with me.
      I have friends I ride with in the US, but we don’t have such issues there.

"ScribbleJ" wrote

The one exception is a bull. If you see nuts hanging then be very wary of him.

😆

If it’s a bull, beware. If it’s a mother, run away. The only thing not to be scared of are the babies then.

Haha, the "buck" stops here! 😃

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.