Death of the 26inch hardtail

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Death of the 26inch hardtail

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      "ChiliPepper" wrote

Yeah, it was a good read.

Well obviously the 29’er riders will have an advantage over the 26’er riders due to more rolling speed. I feel that the 29’ers should have a class of their own instead of racing alongside the 26’ers. Ya know what I mean? Even with the rise of 29’er use, the 26’ers will never die or fade away. An absolute guarantee! Maybe by chance the 700cc will come back but 26’ers will stay strong. Being their is such a world of debate over these two wheel sizes, I am sure & I feel a debate coming on here real soon.

Sorry 29’ers, had to throw in my two cents bro’s!

Right thats what I was thinking a totaly differnt class of their own. Its like the BMX Cruiser class 24 inch BMX bikes would never race 20 inch BMX bikes.

I think I’m coming to grips,29er’s are the new baby in the house and they just get all the attention and there just cuter than I am.hahahahaahaha….

I dont know dude,I’m all amped to talk,debate,mull over,arm wrestle the 29er thing,but those 29er dude’s are like little kids on christmas morning with there new toys.I guess we just have to let em run down there batterys a few times until they settle down?????????????hahahahahahaha.

Gulp…..I am swallowing a bit of pride. But….29ers do have a place and it has been proven. They do roll over things easier. And many of the preliminary issues have been resolved (sizing, frame angles and such) resulting a bike that easily out classes any bike up to 5.5" of travel. A good example of 29ers is the Pivot 429.

That said I still will stick to my bikes which are 26" wheels..

That won’t happen Bro you could be safe on that front. It would take some very very clever manipulation of suspension design to accomidate both 8+ inches of travel and 29" wheels.

I just ran out to the garage, everythin is ok my bike still has a pulse 😃

I do not believe 29’ers should have there own class. If you go that approach wouldn’t HT and FS have their own classes, how about full ridgid? I weigh 195, should i either gain or lie so i can race as a clydesdale? I mean really i have a better shot than going against the guys that are only 150.

By age, gender or skill level I am fine but by the riders bike choice I am not.

"brianW" wrote

I just ran out to the garage, everythin is ok my bike still has a pulse 😃

I do not believe 29’ers should have there own class. If you go that approach wouldn’t HT and FS have their own classes, how about full ridgid? I weigh 195, should i either gain or lie so i can race as a clydesdale? I mean really i have a better shot than going against the guys that are only 150.

By age, gender or skill level I am fine but by the riders bike choice I am not.

i agree man, well said.

your bike choice is your choice. it would be impossible to seperate by all different styles of bike.

I’ll probably stick with my FS 26 inch – at least for the time being. I have a hardtail 26 bike as a backup and I don’t mind riding it on most trails. I think the article is geered more for the weight weenie race crowd.

I got my first ride in on a 29er a week or two ago. Felt a little strange to me – like I was too high off the ground or something. Like those circus tricycles that sit way up in the air. My riding bud rode the same bike and loved it – but he’s a Clydesdale.

Outdoornut and the folks he rides with in West Virginia have mostly switched to 29er hardtails. I think they like the way 29ers roll over rocks and roots. Might consider it later on, but just got through paying for my last bike. 😆

"ChiliPepper" wrote

29’ers are great for all out XC riding/racing, but have no place in FR or DH, though I would not be surprised if they try it. Oh well!

http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2009/07/2 … le-at.html

Last fall I went on a group ride and Devin Lenz, of Lenzsport, was one of the riders. I got to ride one of his extra small 29’ers that he had built for a 5’2" girl. (I’m 5’8" with a very short inseam) Anyway, I had plenty of toe clearance behind the front tire. 29’er full suspension frame geometry has come a long way.

Also, the trail we did was very rocky and rooty, and all the 29’ers floated over it like it was a bike path. If I’d had the money, that’s what I would have bought instead of my current Giant.

650b for life!!!! Wave of the future or blast from the past you decide!!!

IM JUST KIDDING, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT… 😄 😄

that sucks I love my 26 in rigid

Being a new 29er rider, I’ve got to put my nickle in this discussion.

It depends on your riding style if a 29er will suit you. I do more cross country than serious single track and also a lot of mixed riding: road to hardpack trail, then road back home. My Bianchi 29er suits this really well. If I were more inclined to very technical singletrack, I think I’d want something more agile. Same if I was a freerider: a 29er my not be ideal for that style either.

In terms of being an all around great bike style, though, a 29er is hard to beat. I had a chance to take it down some nice single track at the beginning of spring, and it flat out flew compared to the others on 26 inchers, even those with full suspension. Rolled over bumps, rocks, ruts and everything else. When it came to tight turns, though, I paid a penalty there. Same for toting weight uphill, but that was almost a draw because I had more leverage with the cranks on my bike and wider gearing than the others on the ride.

Ive said it before: ride what you like, but enjoy your ride!

Iwill never give up my 26 hardtail dammit.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.