Day off work, ride.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I dropped the kids off at school and and made my way to the trails for an "early" morning ride. The temp was sitting at a nice -1 deg C, perfect for riding. A friend of a friend told me to try this trail, I had not rode this trail before and had no clue what to expect, well lets say my legs got warm very quick as the first section was a hill climb.
      I’m not to sure what to think as a fair amount of my ride was along the BruceTrail, for anyone that does not know, the BruceTrail is a hike only trail that runs the length of the Niagara Escarpment in Ontario. I felt guilty being on the trail and probably will not be returning to ride this section again. I’m a little stumped as to why it would be a hike only trail, figured if IMBA Canada and the BruceTrail org. got together it would would mean more hands to help maintain the trail system.
      The trail runs along the top of the escarpment and the views are beautiful, there are a ton of rock sections that require walking over, on the return ride I noticed that most of these section have a bypass trail. I ran out of time but if time permitted I could have linked up with Rockcliffe-Waterdown Trails which I plan to visit in the near future.
      All and all, I had a great time and its going to be hard to stay away from this place (I will do my best, just saying!).

Couple pics from the ride.

The "steed" taking a needed break!

View of the city with Lake Ontario in the background.

One of the many rock sections.

Looks like a great place for the cold day morning ride!

Looks fantastic.

Could you give me an idea of

1) Your dress

2) How long you ride

in -1c? My brother and I are both riding in much warmer environments(35-40f) and end the day with frozen feet and our sweat is making stops next to impossible.

"schwim" wrote

Looks fantastic.
      Could you give me an idea of
      1) Your dress
      2) How long you ride
      in -1c? My brother and I are both riding in much warmer environments(35-40f) and end the day with frozen feet and our sweat is making stops next to impossible.

1) As for dress, on top I wear a thermal base layer that wicks the moisture away, a fleece pull over then a Gore-Tex shell over top. On the bottom I wear my bike shorts with thermal tights over top. My feet are the area that I still need to work on, my last couple of rides I wore normal everyday socks and my Nike free running shoes, my feet were pretty cold by the time I got back to the car. I plan on getting myself some wool socks and my parents so kindly got me gift cards so I can get myself a pair of Five Ten impact 2 shoes, not to sure if they will be any warmer but they should feel better. I do have SPD and shoes but not ready for them on the MTB not that they would be any warmer. If anyone has any suggestions on keeping the toes warm post away!

2) My usual rides are about two hours, I would have no issues (warmth wise) riding for longer but chores and day light seem to always get in the way this time of year.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.