Davis, WV: Take Two

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

About a year ago I convinced my wife and a few buddies to head to Davis and stay at a cabin. It had it’s high points and it’s low points. I personally had a blast and even though the amount of riding wasn’t quite what I wanted I still fell in love.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=10274

My wife was not interested to go with me this time, at all. So I hit up Drew. He was on the last trip and an avid mountain biker. There is one problem; His bike got stolen and he did not have the money to get a new one, or rent one for that matter. And so I decided, with a heavy heart, to let him borrow my k2 ZED 4.0 indefinitely. I don’t even know how many miles I have put on that thing. Its the bike that started it all for me.

Anyway, Drew and I are both broke so we decided to stay at the free campsites on public land right in Davis. This would give us access to the CVI trails as well as the bike shop, groceries, and most of all, Hellbenders.

This is our view from the campsite.

This is the where we spent most of the first 24 hours ensuring we had hangovers the next morning. We couldn’t get on the trail that night because the bike I was lending Drew need to visit the shop and we arrived in Davis pretty late.
      This is almost the whole campsite.
      This is Drew asking why we drank so much.
      Nothing like some bacon to make us feel better.
      Here’s a good photo of our sleeping arrangements.

After breakfast we headed into town and hit up Blackwater Mountain Bike Outfitters. They got us the stuff we needed to get ZED back in the game. Time to hit the trails. We got back to the campsite and hit the CVI trail system.

On the way up I noticed that I was running really low in my rear tire. So we stopped and I tried to put some air in my tire with my portable tire pump. It was broken. Now my tire was dangerously low and I blew out my tubless.

Put a tube in it. Back on the trail. After some riding I lost track of Drew and spent the better part of an hour back tracking and looking for him. So I headed back to the campsite. He had managed to break a handful of spokes and after looking at my watch I realized that the bike shop is closed by now. So we decided to get to bed early, get up, get the wheel fixed then hit up Timberline resort and try our hands in downhill.

How I found Drew at the Campsite.
      To give you an idea of what we were about to get ourselves into at timberline, this is my bike. I love it for XC and trail riding but I had no idea how it would handle some downhill.

Upon arriving at Timberline we were quickly met with strange looks an questions about weather or not we had pads and full face helmets. I was determined. so we paid for our lift tickets and made our way to top of the hill.

We got the top and went down what we thought was Doc’s but turned out to be one of the service roads down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAW4Px … pg1lsYPzTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmwOfM1 … TQ&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6IkpV … pg1lsYPzTQ

After that we had lunch, a drink to curb the pain, and we headed home. I had an incredible time. I’ve been so busy at work and school that even when things don’t go perfect, its still nice to be out in nature with some old friends. Davis is a must see if your an east coast rider. I still haven’t hit all the trails in the area and will be making my way back sometime soon.

Seems like you had some mechanical issues the last time. Oh well, you just have to roll with it and do the best you can. 😆

Hope you had a good time. Not sure if I can make it there this year or not, running out of time. Have you had a chance to ride Splashdam yet, that is a pretty cool new trail that connects the Plantation trails and CVI trails (indirectly)?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.