Davis, West Virginia MTB

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

This is a thread to follow our trip to Davis, WV. We have almost finalized the plan. We are heading out on Friday the 16th. once we arrive we’re heading into Davis to hit up Blackwater Bike shop then maybe a burrito and brew. After lunch we’re going to hit Blackwater Falls Park. The next morning we are going to hit CVI trails outer loop. Depending on how our legs are feeling we may hit Plantation Trail after lunch in town. Sunday morning is up in the air. Still looking for a morning ride to fill a possible opening.

I’ll Post as many videos and photos as I can when we get back to reality.

If you do not do Splashdam as part of the CVI loop, it makes a pretty good shorter Sunday ride. It comes out at the end of what is Camp 70 road (at least that is what I think it is called). Follow the dirt road back and you come out right at the supermarket on Rt 32.

Or you can do an out and back on Plantation – or a loop on Plantation, left on one of the cross trails, returning on Canaan Loop Road to 32.

We left at about 10am.

My wife, sister and the kids took the bikes.

Mike, the dog and myself to another.

Pit stop.

About 5 miles away from the campsite.

Dropped off everyone and we headed to Blackwater Falls state park.

We had a hard time finding a trail head to we started at Pendleton Lookout.

Kellen, Me and Drew.

Me and Mike.

We headed over a small earth dam and onto some sick singletrack. It was getting dark so we took it easy. The trail was just starting to get good and then catastrophe.

The bad thing about this is, it happened to two of my bikes. The one I was riding and the one Kellen was riding up to see if I was okay.

There is a Brew Pub basically acroos the street from the state park. So naturally after a few miles hiking our bikes out of the woods. We carb loaded for the next day.

Slept really well that first night.

We stayed at Abrams Creek Campground. We rented their vacation cabin. I thought it was nice but the ladies were grossed out. Breakfast was Bacon and Eggs. Then we packed the bikes and headed to Davis.

First stop in town was Blackwater Bikes. Tim was holding down the fort. We dropped off the bikes and he started doing his thing. While he worked feverishly on both of my bikes we headed across the street to Hellbenders. Killer Burritos! We grabbed a few beers and picked our bikes. I had to rent a bike Because they were out of stock of my RD hanger. Lesson learned!! I rented a Cannondale hardtail 29er and off we rode. we decided that the first stop would be CVI. The rental felt a little loose but I didn’t say anything. We started the outer loop cw. EPIC!!

The ride started with a mellow gradual climb which got progressively steeper and more technical. The wilderness was beautiful and the climbing put a good burn in my legs.

The trail gets extremely technical as you roll into the Moonrocks. Then slower and tougher in Hoodoo. I knew the climbing was over when I noticed a wet paper sign stapled to a tree.

"XXX Long Technical(although thrilling) Decent"

We started the ride down. My forearms were burning as I made my way down one of the rockiest down hill sections I’ve ever ridden. Very fun. as we made it up to the Institute we knew the decent was about half way. And we knew that the technical slow stuff was about to be replaced by sweeping flow thru open fields back to the truck. Time to fly.

As I came around a long sweeping left hand turn I felt my front wheel collapse and I went flying. No idea why.

So I left the rental with Kellen and rode back to the truck on a service rood that skirts the SE side of the property. we get in the truck and head back in. We see a pickup with Kellen in the back. We flag them down and he hops out. As the young couple pulls away they crash into a ditch. Its time to go back to the ladies.

So that night we licked our wounds and took her easy. Camp fire and beers, burgers and hotdogs. We played a fun game of taboo and hit the rack.

Next day took the walk of shame back to the bike shop. Returned the broken rental and finished packing.

One more pic for CVI.

All and all, well worth it. WV singletrack is sick. Just make sure you come prepared cuz these trails will eat up the un prepared rider. Can’t wait to the next trip out to Davis.

Great ride report. Broken derailleur will kill a ride. Truck in the ditch, taco-ed wheel, and Hellbenders burrito. 😃

You really Taco-ed that wheel. Any idea how that happened?

Honestly I don’t really know. There was a small(maybe 4") drop off the outside of the turn. But I don’t remember going into it and if I did it was just a little bit. Basically no idea.

Looks like you had a heck of an adventure!

Nice. Sounds like you had a blast. Heading over that way in 2 weeks. Staying for 4 days. Can’t wait!!!

Looks like a great time, dispite the downfalls!

Mmmmmm, bacon.

Ahh, some familiar sites. Last time we were there, a buddy of ours had to take his ride into Blackwater for some derailleur work. I’m still not so sure how he mangled it so bad. Strange things are afoot in Davis. Sounds like you made the most of the adventure even with some set backs. That’s the way you’ve gotta roll out that way. Not familiar with the camping area, but the cabins look pretty nice to me. Gonna have to check it out next time. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.