Cylclocross anyone?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Cylclocross anyone?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I have never seen much discussion on cyclocross on singletracks, so is anyone riding cross? I really want to get one to do a little racing and use as a commuter. What kind of trails are you willing to take on with a cross bike? Discuss……

Yeah, I think I’d like to give it a try if I didn’t have to get a special bike. I’ve spoken with some mountain bikers who have gotten into it recently and it sounds like fun. Good excuse to get out when it’s cold and the MTB trails are too sloppy to ride.

The cyclocross series here has a division for mountain bikers who want to give it a try on their mountain bikes. It looks tempting.

"RunandBike0519" wrote

I have never seen much discussion on cyclocross on singletracks, so is anyone riding cross? I really want to get one to do a little racing and use as a commuter. What kind of trails are you willing to take on with a cross bike? Discuss……

What is Cyclocross,never really heard much of it.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Its basically the "Iron Man Competition", but on a bike instead. Well sort of anyways.

Cyclo-cross (CX, CCX, cyclo-X or ‘cross’) is a form of bicycle racing. Races take place typically in the autumn and winter, and consists of many laps of a short 1.5 to 4 mile course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount in one motion.

Nice Wikipedia copy, the bikes are a mix between a road bike and a mountain bike. Basically a road bike that can handle wider knobby tires.

Here is some footage of on that was Augusta, GA this past October. My parents were in town so I missed my chance to go down and watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7EQpzbKAc

My understanding is that you can use a mt bike IF it does not have bar ends. I also heard somewhere that at a few of the races (in GA at least) demo bikes were available.

"brianW" wrote

I also heard somewhere that at a few of the races (in GA at least) demo bikes were available.

I heard the same thing about the demo bikes. One guy I know said he used a demo bike for the entire season last year before he finally bought his own bike. Seems like a good way to give it a try!

When I was road racing (back in 97) I had a Cyclo-cross bike. It was fun back in the day..And the dismount and remount is where the "fun" began remember the time of year. Yeah the dismount location is usually very slick and more than likely a fall will occur. To be competitive you would need a specific bike..But a seperate class for XC bikes would also be cool..

IF I was more into the frosty weather thing I would consider a cyclo-cross but I don’t compete and when I am out there I enjoy my Mountain bikes more.

Here is an article on cyclocross. http://www.mountainflyer.com/news.cfm

Pretty excited waiting on my new cross bike to come in, a little late to race but either way looking forward racing some in the future. It’s going to be a great bike to get around town as well.

I’d be interested in checking out the bike when you get it,are there races like that here in Gainesville?

Ok, not aware of any cross races in Gainesville, but there are few in the rest of FL.

I recently bought a cross bike for a second ride. Sometimes I will do a 30-50 mile ride that consists of a combination of paved and gravel roads with little or no off-road and I thought the cross bike would be ideal for that as well as save wear & tear (tires as well as mechanical) on my full squish mountain bike. I truly love and prefer the singletrack / woods trail riding, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out that I can get there and I can always ride the gravel and paved roads right from home. The cross bike will certainly take a fair share of trail riding, as well, but it wouldn’t be nearly as comfortable for these old bones as my X5.

My cross bike came in after the winter weather set in so I have only ridden it on the trainer, but I have no reason to think it won’t work for my intended purpose.

Even if you have no intention of competing in a cyclocross event, a cross bike might be a useful addition to the quiver as it appears to be a wonderful compromise between a true mountain bike and a full out roadie.
      Just my two cents…

Rapping up the 09 season http://www.alphabicycle.typepad.com/

I volunteered at a Cyclocross race here in Tuscaloosa, AL and become intrigued. I saw many different bike set-ups. I am wanting to get involved in a couple of races and have decided to simply modify my hardtail. Lightweight flat handlebar, adjust the shocks to a more rigid setting, and run with Continental Cross-Country 26" x 1.5" tires.

Until I can get a nice bike for Cyclocross. 😉

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.