CST Rock Hawk

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

It’s been a wet winter here in North Texas, and our typical wet Spring is just ahead, so I’ve been looking for a less expensive tire to save my Kenda Nevegal Pro DTC’s from quick knob wear when I have to resort to concrete when trails are closed (one of my favorites is actually under water due to lake levels 🙁 ).  I still want knobs in case something (single track) opens up on the fly.  Came across CST’s Rock Hawk tires.   Price is right for inexpensive winter concrete necessity, and have enough knob to hit the dirt when possible.  With a TPI of 60 (27 for wire!), they’ll be heavy and hard (good for concrete, not so much for trail flex).  By comparison, the Nevegals have a TPI of 120, so more flexible (and lighter), and wear faster on the hard stuff.  I’m finding the Rock Hawks for less than $20 for wire, $35 for folding.  Not bad for a temporary winter tire.  But, do you get what you pay for, even if just temporary?  Again, not looking to replace (or compare to) the Nevegal’s, just trying to save needed wear on them 🙂 .

Anyone use Rock Hawks?  Not a lot in the way of reviews out there.

CST is owned by Maxxis, though it is their budget label. I don’t have experience with their tires, because honestly I don’t see them for sale many places. I suspect you do get what you pay for, but since you don’t need to get a lot of use out of them, that’s probably ok. Seems pretty low risk so go for it and let us know what you find!

CST is owned by Maxxis, though it is their budget label. I don’t have experience with their tires, because honestly I don’t see them for sale many places.

Not exactly Jeff. CST and Maxxis actually have the same parent company, so it’s not one owning the other. The brands are run completely separately with their own designers and engineers, and manufacturing is done at their own individual factories.

The Rock Hawk is a great affordable trail tire. I would definitely suggest the 60 TPI folding bead version. 60 TPI is a good balance of durability and ride quality.

(full disclosure: I now work for Maxxis)

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.