Crossing logs??

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I just got back from riding my first trail and it was awesome!!! I had such a blast I stayed a little later than I should! (had to pick up the girlfriend from work, told her there was traffic –OUR SECRET!) anyway I got a question for you guys any tips on how to get over logs a little easier my pedal hits it or my crank hits it and i stop midway? any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys! take care and be safe!!

Try thinking of it as a step up then a drop in, raise the front tire so the back hits first the hits first. but all logs are differant, Doah! or go fast enough to jump it, but getting that wrong can hurt. What the girl don’t ride?

Riding is life all else is waiting!

JoeFitz,

Keep up your speed. Not too fast, but not to slow. Pull up your front tire….and as your back tire hits the log….KEEP PEDALING…. Your crank will drag a bit, but….KEEP PEDALING…. Get back in the saddle as you go over. Get a "Rock Ring" for your crank. You always see blowdowns with teeth marks on them.

Practice on smaller logs. Next thing you know, your gonna be climbing bigger logs and logs higher off the ground.

Good Luck

Gigpal

Even without a bash-guard for your chainring, the big ring will kinda act like a log-grabber, and if you keep pedalling, it’ll crank you right over.
      The biggest mistake people make is that when forward progress stops, be it on mud, sand, logs, rocks, they give up and walk it. Practice your track-stand, and keep pedalling…. your tires will find traction eventually. 😀

I rode the trail again on sunday and made it over a couple of them. I will take everyones advice though I think you guys are right about the momentum I seem to slow up too much where midway thru I get stuck! the ones I made it over my timing was right! Oh by the way the girlfriend came with me on sunday and had a good time too! thanks again guys I’m glad there is a forum that we all could help each other out!!

I rode the trail again on sunday and made it over a couple of them. I will take everyones advice though I think you guys are right about the momentum I seem to slow up too much where midway thru I get stuck! the ones I made it over my timing was right! Oh by the way the girlfriend came with me on sunday and had a good time too! thanks again guys I’m glad there is a forum that we all could help each other out!!

Like Gigpal says, keep your momentum to the point where after you lift the front wheel up and over the log, if you hit it with the rear its not going to send you flying but when your rear tire hits the log, mash on those cranks. Especially if its wet.

I’m just now getting to the point where logs don’t slow me down too much, and I’ve been riding for almost a decade! Plenty of practice ahead of you, Joe! 😎

And remember, when you approach a log, get up off the saddle, keep in an "attack" position, and use your legs to absorb some of the blow when your rear wheel/crank hits the log…. Then pedal like a mo-fo! 😼 I’ve been stuck on a wet log for over thirty seconds, and I kept pedalling like nuts. The rear wheel made a sweet "bzzzzzz" sound and kept walking left/right, until finally it caught and vaulted over.
      I could’ve just half-hopped it over, but I wanted to see how long I could pedal and maintain my balance….. plus the sound was really cool. 😃

just a thought, but dropping it into a lower gear and pop-wheelying the front tire over the log might work. on my I-Drive, I find that 2nd chainring 3rd gear on the cassette works quite well for lifting the front tire. now this goes against the "keep up your speed" mentality, but unless you can pedal like a mofo in the 4th cassette gear and lift the front tire over the log, oy just pedal like a mofo in general and lift the front tire from a running pace, you’ll need to be going at about a mild walking pace. stay in the saddle, lean over the front of the bike on approach, then maybe 6 inches before the tire would hit the log lean back quickly, pull up on the bars, and push down HARD on whichever crank is highest. if you do it right, the wheel might not even touch the log in question. when the rear wheel hits, it’ll bring te front down hard unless your tires grab and bump you over the log, so shift your weight back, get out of the saddle, and pedal your heart out until it does grab. that should work, and you’ll get over the log in style. if you’re riding a 29er or a 69er (aka dark-side converts 😼 ) it’s made easier because the front tire doesn’t need to be as far off the ground to do it’s thing, and on a straight 29er the rear tire can bump itself over a bit easier

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.