creaking noise!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I noticed on Friday that I had a creaking noise coming from my crankset. I threw some dry lube on it today and it’s seems to be better, but it’s still making the noise. Any suggestions?

Try tightening up the bottom bracket, sometimes creaks can come from the bearing housings

Do not forget the check the chainrings as well…Specially if you have aluminum bolts holding it together

last time i had a creak like that it was a remove, clean and re lube the cassette.

dust had gotten under it, is there anything it cannot do…

That noise you hear is your bike telling you to retire it and buy a new one!!!!! 😄

"soezgg" wrote

Try tightening up the bottom bracket, sometimes creaks can come from the bearing housings

Ditto ! That will also give you the chance to lube the splines and make sure the crank arm bolts are tight.

ODN

Lock Tight..!!!!

Wow you really dug up an old thread!

Do NOT use lock tight on your BB threads!!!!!! You should use a small amount of grease or even a small amount of anti-seize to help it thread in easier.

Very true, most of the time you do not want to use loctite on aluminum. It can damage the threads when taking it back apart because the cured loctite will act as an abrasive at that point. They do make aluminum specific loctite but it is very seldom even used in industrial settings. As slipfinger stated, a bit of grease or anti-seize and proper torque specs work best in most cases!

I should. Have been.more specific. I meant just the crank arm bolts. I had the same problem. Like was already. Said, just a little grea
      se on the BB threads…

The clicking sound that you describe usually comes from the Bottom Bracket (BB). You might need a new one. Some of these are very cheaply made with plastic components and non-sealed bearings, so they do not last very long.

You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a descent BB. I don’t know what kind you have, but the most common ones are threaded square tapered. Look up the reviews for the Shimano UN55. It is a rock solid reliable unit for $25. If you do not have the special wrench and puller to do the installation, you can just have it replaced by your local bike shop.

Don’t know how precisely you’ve located the sound, but pedals could be the culprit as well.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.