Crank Brothers Pedals

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Crank Brothers Pedals

--
SHARES

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Adam Van Winkle 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Looking at getting the crank brothers double shot which are one side clipless and one side flats. I currently ride flats and am looking to get into riding clipless. I heard that crank brothers are hard to get out of if you need to and aren’t good for beginner clipless riders. Additionally I need to get a good pair of clipless shoes under 115$$. Any good suggestions besides crank bros for clipless

I wouldn’t go with reversible pedals, especially if you’re new to clipless. It’s hard enough getting comfortable clipping in and out and reversible pedals just add another thing to worry about (ie, which side of the pedal is up when you’re ready to clip in.)

Crankbrothers pedals are actually a little too easy to get out of IMO but that’s not to say that you couldn’t set up a pair of SPDs to provide even looser engagement. And that’s the key: the tension isn’t adjustable on CB pedals but most SPDs offer tension adjustment.

Bottom line: get a pair of basic SPDs and you’ll be happy.

As for shoes, Greg seemed to enjoy these shoes that retail for $110, though he claims you can find them for closer to $75 online:

Scott MTB Comp Shoe Review

I primarily ride flats but have ridden SPD and the CB Candy. I agree with Jeff that the Candy is easier to get out of, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective.  On the other hand I also found them easier to get into, which is helpful when clipping in on a climb or technical section. A friend of mine just switched to the CB Mallet, which has more of a platform. He likes them a lot.

Ok I am looking for something I can clip out of quick

I’ve ridden Crank Brothers for years and love them.  The have plenty of float, which is good on my knees.  I’d have to chip in and agree they’re easy to get out of.  Plus, once you get used to it, you don’t even notice the action of doing it any longer.  You might consider a set of CB Mallets for your first set.  They give you platform you’re used to, plus you can ride them unclipped in areas you’re not comfortable with.

The problem with single-sided pedals is that you will be messing around trying to get the side you want your foot on and loose focus on what you’re riding.  I’d personally just go for it and get used to clipping in and out.

I love my CB mallets! Like Gar said once you ride you will get used to getting out of them. It really does become second nature to unclip when you realize you are about to go down, or if you stall out in a knarly rock section.

I have the Egg Beater 2 from Crank Brothers. I used to fall all the time when they were new, like anything there will be a learning curve. They have held up very well after bouncing off rocks

I had a CB Candy set for my first pair of clipless and would definitely recommend them. It’s a large surface platform, and they’re easy to get in and out of, which was huge for me working into the confidence needed to ride them well. I upgraded to Shimanos probably 6 months later, but for the money, I really liked them.

<p style=”text-align: center;”>”I wouldn’t go with reversible pedals, especially if you’re new to clipless. It’s hard enough getting comfortable clipping in and out and reversible pedals just add another thing to worry about (ie, which side of the pedal is up when you’re ready to clip in.)”</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I have to really disagree with this especially depending on where you ride and why you ride. I am sure that Jeff is a 1000x better biker than me…and I think that’s why I take issue with his statement.  I ride the front range in Denver/Boulder and there are soooo many segments where a stall and the inability to unclip means falling a hundred feet on a 80 degree slope with nothing but sharp rocks to break your fall.  I have two kids, a job and functioning legs I need to keep 🙂 and so not clipping in is very important to me.  Knock on wood, every injury I’ve received so far has been 100% related to being clipped in when I didn’t want to be.  I really hope that companies try harder to make good reversible pedals.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>As a person who bikes for exercise and for scenery – after climbing uphill for 30 minutes I could care less about my pride to stop for literally 3 seconds to flip the pedals over to take on a dangerous stretch of a couple hundred yards.  I am buying these pedals and will post a review here since I can’t find any reviews yet!</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Add an other mulled fan here!  These where my first and current clip less pedals.  They are great to learn on because you have the platform for the more technical sections at first.  They are easy to get out of in a hurry (unless you have the pins adjusted too high!) but I have never accidently in clipped.

I would also recoment fiveten shoes.  They will be more like what you are accustomed to when beginning.  They are just like skate shoes with very sticky soles for when riding with the platforms.  I also find it much more comfortable to walk with the fivetens rather then the more traditional cycling shoes with hard plastic soles…

I personally ride a set of shimano flat/clipless spd combo pedals (not sure the model number off the top of my head) and these were my first introduction to riding clipless. While I will admit that there have been times when trying to get the desired side of the pedal takes longer than you’d want, the ability to ride flat on a descent or technical section without even slowing down is pretty sweet.

The SPD style clipless pedals are not too hard to get out of in a hurry. I only ate sh*t a handful of times in the first two weeks of riding them. But now its second nature. I dont even have to look to tell which side of the pedal im on, I can feel for it. I have done so many times in the middle of a steep climb after having gassed out. I can take a breath and continue climbing for the next 20 feet (I’m fat okay) with no trouble clipping back in.

On the shoe subject I purchased my Specialized clipless shoes on ebay for something like 40$ and they were very lightly used and still going strong.