Cracked Cradle – Garmin 60CSx

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

After recent ride, I noticed that my GPS was not sitting as securely as I thought it should in the cradle attached to my bike. I discovered that the small "O" hole that helps anchor the GPS to the cradle has cracked.

I’m getting a new Garmin cradle, but in conversation with someone else, I hear that this is a reoccuring problem with the stock 60CSx mounts.

Has anyone else run into this?

Has anyone found a good alternative to the Garmin mount?

[quote="PghDragonMan"]After recent ride, I noticed that my GPS was not sitting as securely as I thought it should in the cradle attached to my bike. I discovered that the small "O" hole that helps anchor the GPS to the cradle has cracked.

I’m getting a new Garmin cradle, but in conversation with someone else, I hear that this is a reoccuring problem with the stock 60CSx mounts.

Has anyone else run into this?

Has anyone found a good alternative to the Garmin mount?[/quote]

I have the same Garmin and cradle…and have already cracked one cradle. Fortunately, the removable cradle parts are pretty inexpensive(dare I say "Cheap"?!?) – but, if that piece goes it usually means that your GPS is flying off your bike and rolling off into the brush somewhere.

I think you can buy the replacement cradles at Bass Pro Outlet. I know that "RAM Line" makes after-market GPS accessories and they may offer something better. With the size/shape of that GPS and the banging that it takes on your bar, it’s going to happen.

Just a suggestion to secure your investment…this may be a little redneck, but take a rubber band and do a couple loops around your GPS(between the buttons and screen) and the cradle to secure the GPS and keep it from bouncing out. This also helps if it rattles a little.

Oh…and lay off the 20ft drops when you have your GPS on the handlebars – MOST of us don’t want to follow that track ANYWAAAAAAAY!
      😉

Thanks, EZ-E!

FWIW, I’m getting a free replacement for this cradle, but yeah, I’d still like a better alternative. I may need to check out the Ram line of mounts.

I also like your idea of securing the GPS to the cradle. I do something similar to your rubber band trick now. I changed out the lanyard that comes with the GPS for one that is a little longer. This leaves a tail that I can loop over the bar in a simple knot. That way if the GPS does come out, it stays with the bike. That is what saved me from having to look for mine after it popped out.

Speaking of broken GPS mounts and Garmin, is anyone else frustrated with how expensive replacement mounts for the Edge are? They give you two in the box which I thought was so you could use it on two bikes (road & mountain) but apparently it’s so you can replace the one that breaks after 6 months 😆

The Edge mounts are super small, super simple – clip in, clip out – and they shouldn’t cost $20 for a new one ($15 if you’re lucky). Seems like a good niche to get into if you know a thing or two about plastics… At least it attaches to your bars using zip ties – those are cheap 😀

The tab clip on one of my Garmin Edge GPS mounts broke a while back so I put it on my road bike were there’s less vibration. The GPS still managed to work its way out of the clip every few minutes and I was constantly pushing it back in on my rides. I followed EZ-E’s tip about the rubber band and that worked great!

On Tuesday I noticed that the mount on my MTB is now broken too and I was bummed because I really needed to map the trail. I didn’t have any rubber bands on me but then I remembered the Simple Strap in my Camelbak. Sure enough I was able to secure the GPS without covering the screen and the GPS stayed secure the whole time despite some serious jumping. Nice!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.