Crack in Frame or Paint

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I just purchased this used last week. I noticed the mark when buying the bike but ignored it against my better judgement. My usual shop is closed right now so I wanted to post here and see if I could get someones opinion. I’m trying to determine if this is a deep scratch, crack in paint, or a crack in the frame. The frame is a 7005 aluminum the mark is on the lower part of the seat tube.  I placed two dots on the ends of the mark so as to keep an eye on it and see if it grows, some of the mark I can feel with my fingernail other parts I can not. Is the shape indicative of a crack, has a little zig and zag in part of it. Any help would be appreciated.

VPJ

Only way I know how to check is to file down to the bare metal for at least a bit of the area of concern. With some luck, it won’t show too bad and you can touch up relatively easy. Of course, if it *is* a crack, the paint damage will be the least of your worries.

Maybe someone else out there has a better idea, but that’s all I’ve got.

For what my opinion is worth, that doesn’t look like a frame crack to me.  I think it is just cracked paint.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.