Couple gets married DURING the Leadville 100

Tagged: ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Well, this is one way to make sure you get into the race:

First-time Leadville 100 racers Rick Bucher and Julie Bass took an unusual approach to the 100-mile mountain bike race in Colorado. They got married at the top of the famous Columbine climb midway through Saturday’s race.

"We had originally planned a wedding in Sedona. There is good mountain biking there," said Bucher to Cyclingnews. "We’d spoken about Leadville in the past. A few of our teammates had done it and said it was worth doing at least once."

"One day Julie said, ‘What do you think about getting married in Leadville?’. I said, "That’d be nice,’ and she said, "How about on top of Columbine?’. That was one of the coolest things I ever heard, so we moved forward with the plan."

Getting into the popular Leadville race is no easy chore, but contacting the registration personnel and letting them know their plans ahead of time helped Bucher and Bass get in.

The couple has been racing bikes for more than two decades. "This is 26 years for me and 22 or 23 for Julie," said Bucher, who is a firefighter / paramedic in Scottsdale, and she is a physical therapist. They’ve been together for four years and engaged for one.

Pretty cool story. Read the rest of it here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/couple- … e-100-race

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.