Converting 3x to a 2x Setup

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Converting 3x to a 2x Setup

--
SHARES

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Guys,

I’ve just Registered after getting my first mtb, well a hand me down really a 2012 Cube Acid in tip top condition.

It currently runs on the standard 30 Speed gears, with the following Shimano setup:

Shimano Deore FD-M590 Top Swing 34,9mm, 10-speed
      Shimano Deore XT M786 Shadow+ Rear Derailleur 10-speed
      Shimano Deore SL-M591 Rapidfire-Plus, 10-speed

I have found I don’t like having so many gears and want to drop the gears down to a 2x setup, eventually I may go with a 1x setup.

My question is, how easy will it be and parts if any will I require?

Thanks in advance.

I would just go straight to a 1×12 if you can. I just made the switch over from a 2×9 to a SRAM GX Eagle 1×12 money well spent.

You’re looking at a new front derailleur, shifter, and new chainrings, if not a new crank set. Like GJmtb said, you’re probably better off jumping right to 1×12. There are some really affordable options out there right now…

Going to a 1×12 will also save you some weight. Always a good thing to me.

Cheers for the advice / info.  I did look into a 1 x 12 setup, but:

1. I’m just starting out and my riding skills leave a lot to the imagination.

2. More importantly, its the funds that stop in in my tracks from venturing down a 1 x 12 route.

I think point 2 was the main factor in deciding to go for a 2 x 10 route for the foreseeable future, until such time as $$$ become available.

To your points, 1×12 doesn’t take any more skill than 2×10. In fact, it takes less skill because the shifting is much easier to work out.

A 12-speed SRAM NX drivetrain costs about $250 which isn’t cheap, but it’s close to what you might end up spending going 2×10.

I would estimate the parts you need for 2×10 would cost:

• $50 for shifter
      • $100 for crankset, or two new chainrings if your crank can be converted
      • $50 for a front derailleur

If your chain is worn you’ll need to replace that, and possibly the rear cassette as well if the chain has gone too long without replacement. If that happens, you could end up spending more than the 12-speed. ūüôĀ

Cheers Jeff I will have a look at some of gear you have mentioned and total up how much it will be in terms of converting to a 1×12 setup.¬† I may wait until I find the items in Sales and purchase them at separate times and then have them fitted.

Thanks once again Jeff

I’m not sure where all of this poor or wrong information is coming from. Converting to 2x is fine, I converted my 3×9 to 2×9 and then to 1×9 without parts. Let me reiterate. You don’t need any parts.

You simply remove the largest chainring and adjust your front derailleur limit screw to lock it out. 2×10 done.

Regarding saving weight by switching to 1×12. No, that’s also not necessarily true from the other posters. Those dinner plate size cassettes often weigh more than an additional shifter and front chainring. You can¬†potentially¬†save weight.

Cheers

-D

not sure where all of this poor or wrong information is coming from. Converting to 2x is fine, I converted my 3×9 to 2×9 and then to 1×9 without parts. Let me reiterate. You don’t need any parts.

You simply remove the largest chainring and adjust your front derailleur limit screw to lock it out. 2×10 done.¬†

Regarding saving weight by switching to 1×12. No, that’s also not necessarily true from the other posters. Those dinner plate size cassettes often weigh more than an additional shifter and front chainring. You can¬†potentially¬†save weight.¬†

Cheers

-D

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.