Comparison of two bikes! Please help!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

I need help determining which bike will give me the best bang for my buck. I’m looking at the Kona Precept and the Giant Anthem X 29er 3. I live in Ontario but am an avid traveller and would love to take my bike across the border into the states and across Canada to B.C. ect. So I wont strictly be riding in Southern Ontario.
      The Kona is listed at $1600 and the Giant I can get for $1650.. so pretty equal price point.
      Here are the links…

Kona: [url:2lastk8e]http://www.konaworld.com/precept.cfm[/url:2lastk8e]
      Giant: [url:2lastk8e]http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.3/15139/66877/[/url:2lastk8e]

Tough call spec wise. If I was looking at both of these bikes l think it would come down to a) how they felt after I took each one on a test ride and b) the LBS behind each bike.

"Zoo1424" wrote

Tough call spec wise. If I was looking at both of these bikes l think it would come down to a) how they felt after I took each one on a test ride and b) the LBS behind each bike.

So spec wise they are pretty much on par? I know the basics and that’s what I was finding, I just wanted to see if anyone saw something between the two that might make a difference. I hoping to go and take each for a test ride in the near future. Sorry….. LBS?

Thanks for your help! 😀

I would say they are similar. Someone else may spot something that jumps out at them but I didn’t. LBS – local bike shop. Having a good shop behind the bike means a lot to me.

"Zoo1424" wrote

I would say they are similar. Someone else may spot something that jumps out at them but I didn’t. LBS – local bike shop. Having a good shop behind the bike means a lot to me.

I could get the giant from a bike store in my town and also receive life time free tune ups from them so that’s definitely swaying me in that direction. The kona is from a shop I’ve never been to before but I’m going to go and check it out this week.
      Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi,

To answer your question directly, i think the Anthem is a better pick because i think the overall quality of the different components is slightly better. ( e.g. Alivio shifters >> Altus and Shimano brakes > Tektro, even though alivio front derailleur < Deore).

That being said, here is my opinion. I’m not a fan of entry level full suspension bikes like those two because i think that you pay too much for what you get. For the same price you can get a mid-level or even a high end hardtail that will prove to be a much more enjoyable and reliable steed than an entry level full sus. You can expect a mix of SLX/XT components and mid level rockshox/Fox forks which are way better than Alivio and *cough* Altus. Chances are that when you will change for a high end full sus, you will want to keep your trusty hardtail, which might not be the case for your clumsy entry level full sus. You also have the option of component swaping, but that is usualy not what beginners want to get into.

Thats for the same price level option. You can also decide to pay more now and get straight to that mid level full sus category. It really depends on how experienced and serious about mtb you are now, how serious you want to be and what kind of riding you are expecting to do.

Good luck ! 😀

"phil05" wrote

Hi,

To answer your question directly, i think the Anthem is a better pick because i think the overall quality of the different components is slightly better. ( e.g. Alivio shifters >> Altus and Shimano brakes > Tektro, even though alivio front derailleur < Deore).

That being said, here is my opinion. I’m not a fan of entry level full suspension bikes like those two because i think that you pay too much for what you get. For the same price you can get a mid-level or even a high end hardtail that will prove to be a much more enjoyable and reliable steed than an entry level full sus. You can expect a mix of SLX/XT components and mid level rockshox/Fox forks which are way better than Alivio and *cough* Altus. Chances are that when you will change for a high end full sus, you will want to keep your trusty hardtail, which might not be the case for your clumsy entry level full sus. You also have the option of component swaping, but that is usualy not what beginners want to get into.

Thats for the same price level option. You can also decide to pay more now and get straight to that mid level full sus category. It really depends on how experienced and serious about mtb you are now, how serious you want to be and what kind of riding you are expecting to do.

Good luck ! 😀

Thank you! I just discovered Tektro breaks don’t have the best reputation so that’s turning me off the Kona. What would be some mid level FS bikes you would suggest? Maybe it would be smarter to save a little longer and buy something better rather then having to upgrade in a 3-5 years when my skill level gets higher.

Hi,
      You can check the Anthem 1, trek fuel ex 5 or 7, specialized stumpjumper comp, santa cruz tallboy and cannondale too. Like i said before, look for Deore components or better (altus<<alivio<deore<slx<xt…..) or sram x5 or better. As for forks and shox, Fox and Rockshox are what you are looking for. Rockshox products are usually less expensive than Fox, and i never had trouble with those i owned. The downside of mid level full sus bike, however, is that they cost much more. Bikes companis rose their prices alot in the lasr years.
      Look for reviews on this site and on mtbr.com

It can take alot of searching before you make your mind, so be prepared ! Keep us updated too and we will give you more advices.

Phil

Just a short addition to phil05’s comments about forks. Watch out for bikes equiped with Rockshox XC 28 TK’s. I was helping a friend shop for a bike recently and that fork was on a lot of bikes. Virtually all we tried out were crap with a ton of stiction and vary marginally adjustable rebound and damping. The Anthem you’re looking at has a Rockshox Recon, which are decent, from what I’ve seen. The Kona has a XC 30, I’m not how that would compare against the XC 28 TK. If you go that route, just make sure the fork feels good…

Hmm , I think they are pretty close spec wise. I would suggest to test-ride each of these bikes. A test ride of 30+ minutes would be better if possible

"phil05" wrote

Hi,
      You can check the Anthem 1, trek fuel ex 5 or 7, specialized stumpjumper comp, santa cruz tallboy and cannondale too. Like i said before, look for Deore components or better (altus<<alivio<deore<slx<xt…..) or sram x5 or better. As for forks and shox, Fox and Rockshox are what you are looking for. Rockshox products are usually less expensive than Fox, and i never had trouble with those i owned. The downside of mid level full sus bike, however, is that they cost much more. Bikes companis rose their prices alot in the lasr years.
      Look for reviews on this site and on mtbr.com

It can take alot of searching before you make your mind, so be prepared ! Keep us updated too and we will give you more advices.

Phil

Well, my plans have now changed. I will be away all summer for a new job and therefore and going to wait until NEXT season to purchase a bike. This may actually be a good thing because now I will have more money to spend on a new bike. So those bikes are irrelevant now. Any suggestions for a bike slightly out of the entry level/mid level area. I’ve been drooling over this Norco:[url:30pna8cv]http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain-enduro/range-alloy/range-alloy-72/[/url:30pna8cv] any other suggestions though?!

That Norco is not bad, but i think its too pricey. For the same price, i think you can get a Trek or a Giant that is better equiped. Be sure to compare brands !

I just recently upgraded to the Norco range 7.1 from a cheap hard tail. First I love my bike and I rode a lot of bikes out there before making up my mind. I was originally looking at the Sight, Stumpjumper FSR, Fuel… etc. and rode them all several times over even got the stumpy on a demo for the day and got to actually play in the dirt with it great ride too however when all was said and done I rode the range on a whim and ended up really liking it. With tax it came to $3100.00, yes I could have gotten a lot better deal on another bike and did I get a bike that was capable of far more than my current skills, yes but it just fit me well and was really comfortable to ride and had a decent component package and bike that will last and be able take whatever I can throw at it… plus its just a damn good looking rig. Just make sure you get out there and ride a broad cross section of brands, get a feel for what feels good for you and get a feel for the guys that will be working it for you aka local bike shop, quality support is a big thing and was a major factor in my choice as well.

"Jeremiah Johnson" wrote

I just recently upgraded to the Norco range 7.1 from a cheap hard tail. First I love my bike and I rode a lot of bikes out there before making up my mind. I was originally looking at the Sight, Stumpjumper FSR, Fuel… etc. and rode them all several times over even got the stumpy on a demo for the day and got to actually play in the dirt with it great ride too however when all was said and done I rode the range on a whim and ended up really liking it. With tax it came to $3100.00, yes I could have gotten a lot better deal on another bike and did I get a bike that was capable of far more than my current skills, yes but it just fit me well and was really comfortable to ride and had a decent component package and bike that will last and be able take whatever I can throw at it… plus its just a damn good looking rig. Just make sure you get out there and ride a broad cross section of brands, get a feel for what feels good for you and get a feel for the guys that will be working it for you aka local bike shop, quality support is a big thing and was a major factor in my choice as well.

Good poiints, some times its not which one is the most hi-tech for the money, etc etc, but what bike actually fits you and makes you feel the best.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.