Common Mountainbike Acronyms & Terms

Viewing 90 reply threads
  • Author

A new user requested help with acronyms often used in mountainbiking. This is by no means a complete listing, and can be added to by other users here.

MTB:

Mountainbike

XC:

Cross-Country- May refer to a mountainbike or race. XC bikes tend to have less than 4″ of suspension travel and may be hardtail or full-suspension.

DH:

Downhill

AM:

All-Mountain

FR:

Freeride

FS:

Full-Suspension; also may be referred to as “Full-Susser”, which is often used by UK riders. “Squishies”, “Dual-Bounce”, & “Double-Squish” may also be used in referrence to a full-suspension mountainbike.

Hardtail:

Mountainbike with no rear suspension, but may have a suspension fork.

Softtail:

Mountainbike with a flexible rear triangle, most often offering less than 2″ of travel.

Rigid:

A mountainbike with no suspension.

SS:

Single-speed; a mountainbike with only one available gear.

29’er:

A mountainbike with 29″ wheels. Frequently found as single-speed and rigid variations.

69’er:

A mountainbike with one 26″ rear wheel, and one 29″ front wheel. Also a name for a mountainbike with these features by Trek.

650B:

A new mountainbike wheel that is 27.5″. More often found on touring or city bicycles in Europe.

BB:

Bottom-Bracket; or the cups, bearings, & axle/spindle that the cranks attach to and rotate on.

Front Triangle:

The shape of a bicycle frame section described by the junctions of the head-tube, down-tube, seat-tube, and top-tube.

Rear Triangle:

The shape of a bicycle frame section described by the junctions of the seat-tube, chain-stays, drop-outs, and seat-stays.

Seat-Stay:

The section of frame that runs from the seat-tube down to the rear dropouts.

Chain-Stay:

The section of frame that runs from the Bottom-Bracket to the rear dropouts.

Dropouts:

The section of frame into which the wheel axles slide into. Bicycle forks also have dropouts, into which the front-wheel axle is fitted. May be horizontal or verticle, depending on the type of bicycle. Horizontal dropouts are most commonly found on SS mountainbikes, BMX bikes, and city/touring bicycles. Verticle dropouts are found most commonly on any bicycle with gears.

Hanger; Derailleur Hanger:

A small part that is threaded to accept a rear derailleur, and is fitted to the rear triangle.

Head-Tube:

A short section of tubing through which the fork steer-tube runs.

Head-Tube Angle:

The angle at which the headtube is situated. This angle is also described as part of a bicycle’s “Geometry”.

Seat-Tube Angle:

The angle at which the seat-tube is situated. May be anywhere from 58 degrees to 74 degrees. This angle is also described as part of a bicycle’s “Geometry”.

Geometry:

The angles at which a bicycle’s frame tubes are set. These angles affect the handling of the bicycle. Smaller angles are described as being “slack”, and are often used on DH or FR mountainbikes. Larger angles are described as being “steep”, and are often used on XC mountainbikes.

Endo – You’re on your back, and the wheels are between you and the sky. Or something like that. Discovered that one on one my first trail rides – and the importance of a helmet as the bike crashed solidly into my helmet. Just got a scratch on my hand and that was it. 😮 Of course, that wasn’t the last one.

Superman – Results are the same as Endo described above but in this case it’s the actual act of coming free of the bike (in most cases) and flying over the handlebars.

FacePlant Well….. uh ….. you get the point. 😃

BUNNY HOP-To jump manually,to not use a jump to jump.Imagine jumping in the air from your feet,now do that while on your bike.

Good for jumping over obstacles where there isnt a jump and the obstacle is too big or too challenging to get over without crashing.Also will save your wheels from abuse,so you dont have to true your wheels as often.

True-A mechanical process of readjusting(tightening or loosening spokes that are connected to the area of rim that is bent or out of true).nice skill to know not to just save money going to a mechanic,also is good to know to keep you on the trail and your wheels rolling smooth as silk.

Nose stand-To be able to navigate while rolling on the front wheel alone.This skill will become more apparently valuable the more you challinge yourself with technicle trails and skills.Especially on switch backs and turns with tight and minimal area to maneuver your bike.Same goes for the rear wheel as well.

Track Stand-To be completly stopped on your bike and still have your feet on the pedals and hands on the handle bar grips.To balance one self while still on your bike without falling over or putting a foot down to hold and keep yourself upright on the bike,and also not leaning on anything to hold you and your bike upright.

Trials riding-Trials riding is a particular sport that requirers the afformentioned skills to an extreme level.these guys can track stand like a horse stands in the pasture all day long,everyday of there lives.

Rock Garden-A Rock Garden is an area of trail,usually somwhere between 15 feet to 30 feet long,that requires mad skills to navigate most of the time.These Rock Gardens will be packed full of rock of varying sizes,random placment,and absolutely no familiar feel of the beaten path.And if you crash on these,or even put a foot down in them,you had better know that an injury is only a breath away if your not in the right frame of mind to crash with apparent ability to deffend yourself from getting hurt while crashing.A Rock Garden is like riding on a huge pile of car parts,if that makes sense.let me know if it does,im curious.hahahahaha.

Half pedal stroke-I gave this one my own term on the account I cant remember if I’ve ever heard this being called anything at all.This comes in handy when either the rocks are too high to your pedals or the slope of the trail has too much grade to make a full revolution of the pedals without them hitting and being stopped from going around and doing there job of keeping you supplied with power to move forward.

Spinning-Spinning is a form of style of pedaling your bike.Spinning is the base form of pedaling,meaning when you pedal in this manor,it is non aggressive force.The idea is to make imaginary perfect circles with your energy force in your pedaling.This takes much conditioning and consistant persistance to achieve a masterful technique.whew,i thik i blew a seal explaining this one,I myself am trying to learn the better half of this skill.hahahaha.

Tire Grazing-hahahahahaa,had to put somthin kinda funny in here,after all,having fun is the most important isnt it?It’ll even sharpen your balance skills a little.hahaha.anyway,when your riding partner is riding in front of you and toatally not expecting it,ride up on his rear tire with your front tire so that it makes a loud ominous buzzing noise when the knobbys rub togther.hahahaha,it’ll make em wonder what the hell is going on with there bike.have fun and always ride to live and live to ride.

Here is a local term because we have many MTB’ers in CT:

QM or QM’ing which is the act of walking or riding up to a stunt but not actually doing it, in order to check whether it’s within your ability, or you are just scared sh!tless by it and don’t want to appear like the chickensh!t that you really are, so you want to check it out first.

What does "all mountain" racing consist of? I am wanting to get started in racing, but am not sure what to start out in. Any suggestions?

I just looked real quick and found what is called super d racing.any bike will do,although all mountain bikes with 4,5,6 inches of travel work really well.The best part is that the races are not radical like real downhill or real cross country races where you have to be highly skilled or in great shape to race.A beginner can jump into super d race and be pretty comfortable because although there is some pedaling involved,and some down hill,it’s not hard core like sponsored rider’s races are.hope that help’s.

An all mountain bike will(like my stumpjumper)cover pretty much a little of everything involved with mountain biking.My fork has a travel adjustment that switche’s from 100mm,120mm,140mm travel.At 100 mm of travel i can do some climbing or cross country riding.At 120mm travel,it is good to use for trail riding and tecnical rock sectionsl and just a general all around setting.At 140mm setting,it is good for doing some downhill.although not all out downhill runs like some of those 190mm travel beast’s.

That helps a lot, thanks. I should be looking into Super D races. I have seen a couple coming up through th MBAA I believe. I have an Ironhorse Warrior hardtail, nothing special but it works for me.

Awsom attitude dude.I am experiencing full suspension life these days,although it is still new to me cause i’ve rode hard tails my whole life.You just cant go wrong with hard tail or ridged bikes.Their cheaper,simpler,and way more maintenance free.I almost feel that even downhill could be done on a hard tail/ridged bike if someone could come out with wheels durable enough to handle a full on downhill course.course there wouldnt be anyone racing except tall people with long enough legs to do what a downhill suspension bike does to handle a downhill course.(my imagination runs wild somtimes,hahahaha.)

YARD SALE- When you crash and all your stuff goes everywhere! 😮

Pump Track – ?

Read that recently in an article about a new biking area in NY, Im guessing it would be the eaquilivent of a practice track, is that right?

"AK_Dan" wrote

Pump Track – ?

Read that recently in an article about a new biking area in NY, Im guessing it would be the eaquilivent of a practice track, is that right?

Sort of, from what I understand it’s flat, with curves that are banked to get you up on them. Sounds fun.

I think a pump is just like a bmx track but for mountain bike type rigs.

just in case you havent read the may 2008 mountain bike action magezine,read the encyclopedia of modern monkey motion.there is a 16 page guide to suspension terminology.

I will definatly check it out if it ever gets here in the mail. Seems like it always arrive during a business trip and not before so I wind up buying another magazine for the trip. Maybe I’ll get lucky today and it will arrive before I leave.

Baby Heads – rocks the size of well…….kinda disturbing

Rookie marks – chainring grease marks on the back of your calf

cjm
      "AK_Dan" wrote

Pump Track – ?

To pump, most simply put, is to use body leverage to generate speed.
      A pump track is a track that is ridden by pumping.

Video on how to pump
      http://www.expertvillage.com/video/2321 … n-stay.htm
      Videos of some dudes riding pump track
      http://leelikesbikes.com/Stories/010405/

Chain Tattoo:
      The greasy chain marking on the inside of your leg when you are new to riding or brush your leg against the chain. (Also called a "[i:2nnux9cc]Tiger Stripe[/i:2nnux9cc]" in some regions)

Bark Tattoo:
      The brown/green markings left on your skin when you graze a tree or plant at high velocity.

Singletrack:
      A single lane path through nature, wide enough for one bike alone; almost always man-made.

Doubletrack:
      A double lane path through nature, wide enough for two bikes.

Fire Roads:
      Dirt or gravel roads through the woods, found commonly in New England, and often overgrown with grass due to infrequent use. The actual use of these roads is for accessibility to the woods in the case of fire.

Racing Stripe:
      The solid mud stripe that goes up your back from your rear tire during spring riding. (Also called "[i:2nnux9cc]Pinstripe[/i:2nnux9cc]")

Swamp Ass:
      The wet marking all over the backside of one’s pants/shorts from excessive sweating seen once the rider has dismounted.

Saddle:
      Biking lingo for “seat.â€

Tree clipping
      Invented it myself went over a jump caught a tree limb and spun comletely around without fallin over. I counldn’t do it again if i wanted to

"xcrhino" wrote

Tree clipping
      Invented it myself went over a jump caught a tree limb and spun comletely around without fallin over. I counldn’t do it again if i wanted to

Holy cow, I did almost the exact same thing once, only it was on a very strong… vine?… in Framingham, MA… I was coming around a turn way to fast and grabbed onto it, swinging myself and my bike. I threw myself off the trail, but I kept my balance… complete fluke. I thought I was Batman for 3 days afterwards.

[url:wutu0t2h]http://www.trails-edge.com/bikedic.htm[/url:wutu0t2h]

Here’s a link I found that is a pretty good list.check it out.

"Tag a wheel" Follow another rider or group of riders on a trail, usally you do not know them. Great way to meet riders.

Yard Sale-I thought that was a ski term.

Lots of good terms here.

Thanks

Hammerhead- rider who pushes themselves to the extreme, or a rider who enjoys constant uphill riding. At the end of the ride one would say "whoo I’m hammered".

Or it could mean somebody who completely hard headed and stubborn.

Which ever fits the situation better.

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="spazjensen":lzrf9xno]

Or it could mean somebody who completely hard headed and stubborn.

Which ever fits the situation better.

😆 😆 Jeez ‘spaz’, you nailed my wife right on the money!! 😆 😆

Harder than hard and as stubborn as a mule, and not sceeered to admit to it! I love it![/quote:lzrf9xno]

Whoops…

Potato Chipped – landing hard on the side of your wheels causing them to bend and end up looking like a potato chip

Taco / Tacoed – see Potato Chipped

"steve32300" wrote

I think a pump is just like a bmx track but for mountain bike type rigs.

Close, it sits on flatish ground, using evenly spaced rollers to gain speed. By timing/pumping the bike through the rollers teachs good flow. Tight hi berm corners, teachs cornering, idea is not to pedal and never touch brakes.

Riding is life all else is waiting

paved road + gravel road = pavel rides (roads)

Great post guys! It really helped a newbie like me. I now learned and understood some of the terminologies of MTB. Really great post guys!

Hey, good stuff, thanks a bunch…..

One my mom made up first time she joined me on a ride lol

"that’s a burner"

Burner- steep or tough section of trail that makes your leg muscles burn.

"GreenGiant" wrote

Superman – Results are the same as Endo described above but in this case it’s the actual act of coming free of the bike (in most cases) and flying over the handlebars.

….OTB 😆

I was laughing pretty hard at some of these. It’s amazing what words take on a whole new mening in another country.
      What country referes the the bar end plugs as "butt plugs"?

I’ve also heard the term "Taking a soil sample" around here. Referes to eating dirt involuntarily.

I’m still trying to distiguish more between freeride, all mountain and cross country riding…
      I ride singletrack here in Indiana. Mostly dirt trails winding thru the woods. Some long downhill runs are pushing the limits of my suspension as roots, and bumps take their toll, otherwise it’s just rolling hills, occasionaly logs, and rocks, but not rockgardens.

I just came up with a new one Sunday…
      Pole-vaulting. When you’re riding singletrack cut into the side of a hill, and your pedal closest to the hill catches and digs in and sends the all or part of you and your bike into the air.

What does BB mean? I’m new here and I see it used a lot but no definitions D:

Here’s an example from: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=5240#p27397

"element22" wrote

Your getting all new technology in that unit with a revised BB which is very similar to one which I had reviewed on the Respond crankset.

Yes, that helps me a lot. Thank you very much.

wow, i am only XC bike for a month now, and i am learning new things fast. thanks!

TACO- When you bend a rim after crashing hard and it takes on a taco shell appearance. 😆

Auger In: Is a deep soil sample

Flying W: Both feet become unclipped and rise above your head as you try to save it. Usual result; refer to Auger In.

Just a couple off the cuff that were missed. 😄 Later,

Trail Gnome: What we blame for crashes that just have no other explanation.

How about a "Bleed a Minute Vine"? 😄 Later,

SS:
      Single-speed; a mountainbike with only one available gear.

when i used to live upstate, here in MI, idk how many times i saw ppl on single-speeds! what are the advantages to only having one available gear?

oh yeh, you guys forgot the bacon!! 😃

bacon: scabs on a rider’s knees, elbows, or other body parts.

How about the "Wait a Minute Vine"? Like a Bleed a minute vine just no thorns. 😄 Later,

How about "Mach Stupid?" Used to describe a speed that no one in their right mind should be going through a particular section. 😄

Is that like "Velocity Stooge"? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Cobweb Duty: The first rider on any given trail in the morning ends up with a face full of cobwebs.

Dirt Dart, That says it! 😄 Later,

Hello,

I am looking to replace a bent wheel. However the original wheels I have say "32h SSW26". Ihave no idea what that means. Should I look for wheels that match that size exactly or is there a range I should look for?

Thanks

steve

TACO is the word. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

TACO is the word. 😄 Later,

I thought bird was the word…Have you heard about the bird??? 😆

The Bird was the word untill I tacoed a wheel on a dinosaur turd. 😄 Later,

Like Whoop-Dee-Doos if you’re comparing to dirtbiking. Great workout! We have a 90,000 square foot riding arena nearby and they have two awesome pump tracks. Great workout!

Whoops are cool but it is the deedoos that cause issues. 😄 Later,

I cannot believe ya’ll left out "Huck" the art of jumping an obstacle without a traditional ramp 😼

To Huck requires Luck, doesn’t it? 😄 Later,

Fat Billy….. Yes!!! Luck, and a big set that clanks!!! 😆

"fat_billy" wrote

To Huck requires Luck, doesn’t it? 😄 Later,

No, just having FUN!

Hucking a ledge drop is the bomb!

Good point made 1sikkHucker, a just term that was left out…. 😄

thought of one last night, it came to me in a dream…(yes I eat, sleep, and dream of MTBn) don’t you?
      –[u:3ksg06qm]Guerilla Run[/u:3ksg06qm]- Kinda like guerilla growing for all the "plant" enthusiast out there 😎 or guerilla warfare for the history buffs, it’s the act of seeing a sexy ass trail from lets say a road side and looking beyond those pesky little "No Tresspassing" signs and go for it ie: "Allen and I are going on a guerilla run to check out these power lines we found" 😼
      hope its used and I guess I have to include a stupid a$$ diclamer for all the legal b.s. and so I don’t get banned from this site so here goes: I don’t advocate riding on private property we must all respect hikers, horse riders.. blah blah blah

–also cool signature Bonsai lets here it for the elderly who still have their bawlz (myself incl) LATER

"1sikkHucker" wrote

–also cool signature Bonsai lets here it for the elderly who still have their bawlz (myself incl) LATER

LOL! …Thanks bro! Death smiles at us all, all we can do is just smile back, so I refuse to tip toe through life to only arrive safely at death!

Though I just lost part of my RT foot (partially amputated), and still recovering from it, I will still ride hard & have fun! 😄

"Trail_Rat" wrote

FacePlant Well….. uh ….. you get the point. 😃

Face plant which is usually followed by a [u:17co2css]SCORPION[/u:17co2css]–when your feet touch the back of your head…..not fun but nature of the beast

A Pedal Bite – when platform pedal hit your shin, resulting in some blood and possible "bacon"

"1sikkHucker" wrote

thought of one last night, it came to me in a dream…(yes I eat, sleep, and dream of MTBn) don’t you?
      –[u:28cz29hc]Guerilla Run[/u:28cz29hc]- Kinda like guerilla growing for all the "plant" enthusiast out there 😎 or guerilla warfare for the history buffs, it’s the act of seeing a sexy ass trail from lets say a road side and looking beyond those pesky little "No Tresspassing" signs and go for it ie: "Allen and I are going on a guerilla run to check out these power lines we found" 😼
      hope its used and I guess I have to include a stupid a$$ diclamer for all the legal b.s. and so I don’t get banned from this site so here goes: I don’t advocate riding on private property we must all respect hikers, horse riders.. blah blah blah

Heck yea, I love it! I’m all about the Guerrilla rides and now have a cool name to call them, thanks! I do a lot of guerrilla riding at this massive commercial lot that never got developed when the economy tanked. I figure hey, this guy is running his dogs, that guys flying a kite, oh and look over there, that guy is fly a remote control helicopter! By george, I’m riding this spot!

I’m always looking at power-line trails thinking to myself, you should ride that man! Why? Because it'[s there! Well guess what, now I’m going to do it 😼

Thanks for putting a name to my madness 😃

"Plant" enthusiast…..nice, I just put 2 and 2 together 😉

Jayzilla- hey man glad you like the term, I really like power lines, scenery isn’t all there but because the maintenance trucks go down them they already cut a path with nice ruts and uneven terrain also, and this is a big plus "trail snails" <–(another term maybe?) -slow ass riders who block up a trail and the snobby ass riders stear clear of them leaving just me and some sweet terrain

"1sikkHucker" wrote

Jayzilla- hey man glad you like the term, I really like power lines, scenery isn’t all there but because the maintenance trucks go down them they already cut a path with nice ruts and uneven terrain also, and this is a big plus "trail snails" <–(another term maybe?) -slow ass riders who block up a trail and the snobby ass riders stear clear of them leaving just me and some sweet terrain

Yea man, It’s got my mind reeling around the idea for a logo for guerrilla riderz 😉 a breed apart!

"jayzilla" wrote

[quote="1sikkHucker":8u00kidt]Jayzilla- hey man glad you like the term, I really like power lines, scenery isn’t all there but because the maintenance trucks go down them they already cut a path with nice ruts and uneven terrain also, and this is a big plus "trail snails" <–(another term maybe?) -slow ass riders who block up a trail and the snobby ass riders stear clear of them leaving just me and some sweet terrain

Yea man, It’s got my mind reeling around the idea for a logo for guerrilla riderz 😉 a breed apart![/quote:8u00kidt]
      Right On!!! I saw your other design (for ST.com) and responded Dude you are extreamly talented I might commision you for a Tattoo idea I’ll run some ideas by you via PM sometime later

Right On!!! I saw your other design (for ST.com) and responded Dude you are extreamly talented I might commision you for a Tattoo idea I’ll run some ideas by you via PM sometime later

Thanks bro, at least I’m good at something 😉 It’d be sweet if they picked it up for a shirt design! And yea man get at me about that tattoo design. I’m also an inkslinger so I can hook it up 😀 Check my portfolio links in one of my post on the shirt design thread, one of them is to my tattoo portfolio.

I think with all the positive feed back from your design they’d be unsane not to pick it up but we really should carry this to either another forum (not acronyms/terms) or PM ’cause we need to save this space for a whole new language so to justify this space being used here goes:
      Trail Snail– someone who is incredibly slow and will not move out of your way

OVER THE HILLER: Old fart (like me) trying to rediscover his youth by acting half his age. Or LUNATIC: What my wife calls me every time I go MTBing.

Over the Hiller is good. Just don’t become a DITCH MAGNET. It is easy to become a ditch magnet when trying to get around a TRAIL-OPPOPOTAMUS in a tight section. Just saying. 😄 Later,

Bark Shark– One who is drawn to just about every tree on the trail and as a result from the impact has stripped some bark off of it.

Just discovered a new one!!! When Spanish Moss gets tangled in your gear cluster- A DEMI !!! As in Demi Moore(google her if you haven’t seen it yet) Yikes!

Also had to pull moss out of both sides of the rear hub. MADONNA’S!! Google her "pits" in ’86!

Did anyone else find themselves laughing, and or remenessing?

Funny, and also informative! 😏

When riding your MTB to the trails and you fall on the pavement usually results in the area of skin that contacts the pavement becoming a "street pizza". Yuck! 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

When riding your MTB to the trails and you fall on the pavement usually results in the area of skin that contacts the pavement becoming a "street pizza". Yuck! 😄 Later,

Happened to my buddy just this week. We were heading back after the ride and he came in way too hot on a street corner with lots of fine gravel on the road. Very nasty, ended up going to the ER. Way worse than most injuries I see on the trail!

Skin gives piss poor traction on pavement for sure. 😄 Later,

‘casing a jump’- you’ll know it when it happens. and it will happen.

‘berm’- (if it hasn’t been mentioned already) a built up and raised area at the outside edge of a corner allowing you to maintain a higher speed than would a flat corner. ‘rail the berm’

Studder Bumps. You know the small braking bumps before a tight turn. They are the number one excuse for overshooting a turn. The studder bumps could be fiction but it makes your crash story more easy to explain. What’s also funny is when you make up the studder bumps other riders will say the same thing happened to them in the same turn. Maybe anti lock brakes could be the solution. 😄 Later,

FUBAR- F#[<ed Up Bike And Rider

"PSIME84" wrote

FUBAR- F#[<ed Up Bike And Rider

haha This one I like

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Endo – You’re on your back, and the wheels are between you and the sky. Or something like that. Discovered that one on one my first trail rides – and the importance of a helmet as the bike crashed solidly into my helmet. Just got a scratch on my hand and that was it. 😮 Of course, that wasn’t the last one.

OMG!. I haven’t been on here in a while and your post was the first one I see. Believe me when I say, "I am NOT laughing at you, but with you". Thanks for the chuckle. 😆

Very helpful information. Thanks

As a noob, this is very helpful, now i don’t have to look like even more of an idiot than i already do lol

Guinea pig/guinea pigging – being the first person to hit a feature (jump, drop, etc) as seen here

[u:3nmmnonl]FLATS[/u:3nmmnonl]: flat pedals

[u:3nmmnonl]Jay Hop[/u:3nmmnonl]: to lift the front wheel then the rear wheel. like a bunny hop only more useful on the trail

Going to bump this with the term “roller” since Jim asked about it.

Roller: A trail feature, generally sculpted out of dirt, that riders can simply roll over without having to lift the front or rear end of the bike off the ground.

I term I never heard before but recently read in a book by Chris Froome:

“‘Rhoid buffer” – a descent steep enough that you get low off the back of the seat with your derriere near the rear wheel.

Shralp.  I dont know what it means, but i sure do shralp the gnar…

Viewing 90 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.