Colorado newbie

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

Ok – so I am heading to Colorado in mid June from Minnesota. I am hoping to find a few good rides and see some amazing sites.

I am planning to head to Crested Butte and ride Trail 401 and anything else I can find. Thinking of grabbing a campsite at One Mile campground. Probably grab a place in Boulder on my way back home and hit some trails there.

Me… pretty technical rider (well for a minnesotan) and ride hard.

Any tips or pointers form the pro’s there? Going to hit the local bike shops when I get there. Debating on navigational GPS… Already got my maps from Singleracks.com so might be good to go without.

Are you planning on hitting Fruita and Moab too???

With a decent map a GPS should be needed. Most of the trails are pretty well marked.

Hey – thanks for the replies.

If the trails are pretty well marked I will go with your recomendation and pass on the GPS. I am going to put the money towards new rims instead.

I am planning on Crested Butte and Breckenridge area. For this trip I don’t think I will get to Fruita or Moab. I have read a bunch about Moab and viewed some of the Fruita trails here. I wish I had a heck of a lot more time once I get out there.

A bit worried about acclimating to the elevation so trying to keep my expectations real.

Any suggestions on tires??? What are you all riding? My plan may be just to hook up a local bike shop and buy what ever people are riding when I get there.

I have used WTB Veociraptors with good results, and currently have a new pair of Geax AKA’s that I am super impressed with.

Man doesn’t anybody wanta ride the west? 😄 SW Colorado is good riding,fantastic trails and people.

And a looooong drive, over mountains

For trail status in the CB area stay tuned to

http://www.cbmba.org/page.cfm?pageid=10262

You should be ok on the 401 in mid-June but you will likely see some wet sections. The trail is high alpine, we have had a great snow year, if we have a wet spring you could run into some issues with closures. Stay tuned to the website and you will get an idea of conditions.

As for other trails in the CB area, there are many. My fav is still Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans off Cement Creek. Definitely an epic ride especially if this is your first time in the CB area. You mention 1 mile, is there a reason you chose that campground? It isn’t bad if you want to stay near the Taylor River but it is a bit of distance from it to CB. Did you choose it due to the access to Cottonwood Pass and heading back down to the front range? If not, I would recommend staying closer to CB. In fact, if you choose to do Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans head to Cement Creek Campground. If you want to camp closer to 401 head towards Gothic, lots of camping available off Gothic Road. Bike shop, hit Big Als on Elk Ave and get yourself a local trail map (no GPS necessary). Enjoy and stay tuned to cbmba for updates on trail conditions.

Maddslacker – thanks for the tire tips. Have considered velociraptors, but definately check out the Geax as you say.

jweuk – Ok – I picked One Mile for the only reason that I have no clue where I am going. 😃 I found it and said it was only 12 miles to Crested Butte. I made reservation, but can change them. I am going to take a look and see what I can find off Gothic Rd as you mention. Not sure the area at all so going to do my best to find a spot.

I did see the trail is currently closed and had huge hopes that 401 would be open by June 13. If not I will shoot for the others that you listed. Looks like maps and all are available here so that will give me what I need.

I am throwing my bike, tent and gear in the back of a Honda Civic and making this just a "learn as ya go" trip. Hate to waste too much gas so any other idea you all have would be great.

Thanks again to all for the ideas/direction.

Scott

ok – checked out Reno/Flag/Bear on the site here and looking forward to this one. Thanks for the recommendation… Also the site cbmba.org is a huge help. Thanks!

Do you all think that if I stay at One Mile campground it is a pretty long haul?

Can’t tell but seems like Cement Creek is first come first serve and no electric. Probably be ok… I am hoping to have electric to charge gadgets (lights, phones, battery powered bike assist 😆 … ) ya know, the necessities!

Also, the maps on the site don’t have as much detail as I might have thought and they are not printing for me… guess I save them as PDF and go that route.

My $0.02 is this:

If I was driving 12+ hours on June 13, I wouldn’t hope CB was going to be rideable. Sure, most of the lower trails should be clear but 401 will probably have snow still. Like been said earlier, it’s been a good snow year. That being said, I COULD be totally off-base – I jsut wouldn’t chance it personally.

For the time (almost exactly the same CB vs Fruita), I would go to Fruita/Grand Junction and play on those trails. Moab is only 90 minutes away also…..

Also, you mentioned going to Boulder on your way out….curious as to waht you had in mind there. Boulder is a roadie mecca but, honestly, other than a couple decent trails not really a great place for mtn bikers – much more along the front range (IMO).

Don’t get me wrong – I love CB, I just think your timing is a little early.

perfect – this is what I need to know. Can’t say I want to throw a bunch of gas money and a lot of time on a "chance".

This is all very helpful and exactly what I’m looking for. Totally not against Moab and will look into it more. CB just seemed like a starting point, but not my only choice.

Lots of talk about Moab in my post here. Is the elevation high? Lots of climbs? I’ll do more searching here, but if everyone say Moab… Well, Moab it is.

Honestly I was planning to head to Copper Mountain after CB, but suspecting I might run into the same snow issues there.

Thanks again and any advise you have is much appreciated.

"hart0342" wrote

Lots of talk about Moab in my post here. Is the elevation high? Lots of climbs? I’ll do more searching here, but if everyone say Moab… Well, Moab it is.

Moab can have climbs, but on average the elevation is a lot lower than most of Colorado.
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … in-bikers/

Honestly I was planning to head to Copper Mountain after CB, but suspecting I might run into the same snow issues there.

That’s a tough call, Copper should be free of snow by then, but no guarantees. If it’s lift serviced downhill you’re looking for, check out Winter Park or Solvista, for alpine singletrack, Breckenridge.

Hey – A huge thanks to all for advice and direction. I may move my trip into July, but not sure yet.

Once I get out there I will check out the local shop and pay my membership to the trail groups I ride on (like cbmba.org). I know how much work goes into maintaining trails here and want to do what I can to help you all keep a great thing going.

More to come, but for now…

Thanks All!

"hart0342" wrote

Maddslacker – thanks for the tire tips. Have considered velociraptors, but definately check out the Geax as you say.

jweuk – Ok – I picked One Mile for the only reason that I have no clue where I am going. 😃 I found it and said it was only 12 miles to Crested Butte. I made reservation, but can change them. I am going to take a look and see what I can find off Gothic Rd as you mention. Not sure the area at all so going to do my best to find a spot.

I did see the trail is currently closed and had huge hopes that 401 would be open by June 13. If not I will shoot for the others that you listed. Looks like maps and all are available here so that will give me what I need.

I am throwing my bike, tent and gear in the back of a Honda Civic and making this just a "learn as ya go" trip. Hate to waste too much gas so any other idea you all have would be great.

Thanks again to all for the ideas/direction.

Scott

Sorry for the delay. We are finally beginning to warm up but the reality is that the Elks are still buried in snow with the pack well over 100%. It is doubtful anything above Crested Butte will be open by June 13. If you move the trip to mid-July you should be fine but you can expect there will still be some snow. I understand you are looking for electric, have you considered looking at the Crested Butte Hostel? You can get a bed for $25 – $30 and stay right in town.

http://www.crestedbuttehostel.com/index.html

Or, pick yourself up a converter for your vehicle that will allow you to plug your laptop, etc. directly into your car outlet. I think ours cost around $40. One Mile is in a beautiful area but it will take you, even with Jacks Cabin Cutoff open; 20-30 minutes to get to town.

Your choice of destinations is great with Breck and CB, but I would echo the other responses about being a little too early. I’d say with near 100% confidence that the really good trails in both areas will still be snowed in or a swampy mess. I’ve done 401 mid June on a less snowy year and was still hiking through a few feet of snow @ the top of Schofield. I live in Breck and can tell you even the lower trails look like they’re a ways from being ridable. The ski area is still abot 100" deep. A couple more storms and we’ll be @ about 600" for the year. Keep checking back for updates on conditions, but unless it’s abnormally warm for the next month most good stuff won’t be ready.

I’d recommend Buffalo Creek and Salida for good riding that will be dry for sure. Also, I don’t think Fruita will be too hot yet- tons of great riding there.

OK – It has been a few weeks since I posted last and want to again say thanks to all for your input.

Here is my update…. June is out. I am set to be in Crested Butte on July 10 and will stay to ride until the 15th or 16th. I found a website that estimates snow cover and looks to be a lot of snow yet today.

My hope is 401 and the other trails will be open by mid July…

I decided to bring my dog and found the folks at Oh Be Dogful boarding to be very helpful so he is going to spend days there while I ride. At night I am looking to camp or – the hostel as noted looks pretty darn nice if I can convince them to let my pup stay with me.

I think the only outstanding question that some of you may be familiar with is with Cement Creek Campgroud. Best I can tell is it is first-come-first-serve. Has anyone been there recently?

Other than that I am looking to spin my wheels at Big Al’s, sign up for a memebership at CBMBA.org, check out Oh Be Dogful for the pup…. and ride like crazy.

Thanks again!

401 will most def not be ready to ride any time in june FYI, also most trails wont really be ready here in CB until JULY. So dont plan on coming here if you much come in JUNE. Hate to give you the bad news! but late winter here this year! if i were you i would head to salida, cortez, frutia, loma, Grand Junction.

PEACE OUT!

i really dont think it will even be open around july 10th sorry! but keep an eye on CBMBA.ORG

sorry for not reading you post in full, but i would go to the alpineer for bike needs, and i would camp up gothic road or sure cement creek. Yes first come first serve! i think you could also reserve.

Several areas on the Front Range I will eventually ride. The Hogback by Red Rocks ampitheater, an incredible concert venue. You may want to check their schedule to time a ride.
      Then there’s Colorado Springs. Many trails in the area, you could spend weeks there. Falcon and Palmer Park are the most famous and Palmer has a legal off leash dog run on the trail! Most back country trails it won’t matter anyway but this one is in the city.
      Pueblo has a large network of trails west of town, south of the lake at Pueblo Reservoir State Park. Last year they were claiming 60 miles of trail and they are still building.
      Colorado has many amazing roads. A few you may love include Guanella Pass, 285, 133, 550, 14. The trails I found off 14, Dadd, Young and Hewett Gulch were good dog runs but not that memorable.
      Personally, summer in Fruita and Moab are 100 degrees often so only morning and night riding will be fun. Since you’re coming from MN I doubt you’ll love it hot. Sand Canyon SW of Cortez is a favorite.
      I have travelled a lot but being from AZ seen a bunch of the west. Visit there in winter unless going the the beautiful Rainbow Rim trail on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The views are better than the ride but it is close to Gooseberry Mesa.
      Great rides like Monarch Crest are to long to do with your dog, you’ll kill him or at least destroy his paws on the scree and rocks. I take my 2 bitches all the time but limit them to 12 miles. They drink more than me so carrying enough water can be a big problem.
      I’ll be around Durango in late July.
      A great book on CO is John Fielder’s best of Colorado. Lots of great photography and even MTB trails.

Hey – Thanks all for the info/advice…

OK – Really??? You think there is a possibility that the trail 401 could be under snow on July 10th? I can postpone to August if you all really think that is smartest. I am not driving 2000 miles to not ride 401… 😆

yea – Moab in the hot summer may be too much for a Minnesotan. I am used to -20 not 120… I would burn up. Maybe I can hit Moab in late season as it cools a bit.

I thought about having my pup run with me as I ride. He is a border collie and that dog can run for ever…. He has riden with me here so he would mind well. Just wasnt sure that was policy out there.

I know I live in Minnesota… but, I really don’t like snow! 😆

There will be snow on 401 and Monarch in July. I’ll bet you a dollar.

ha one dollar, i’m willing to bet more if anyone wants to take me up on that? Name your Price!

A Dollar??? Man… Earlier in the post Beaker had $.02 on this trip… Talk about inflation. 😏

How about this MadSlacker and Neil, I have a budget of about $500 getting out there, camping, and riding. If I get out there and can’t ride 401 it will be a total bummer. Let’s check back in early July and see what you think then. As far as bets??? well, how about a drink after a good days ride!

I have two other weeks to move to. July 25th or August 8th. What say we figure out the best predictions of the best time for me to roll out there? :?:

So, all bets on the table!

All in for July 25th?

All in for August 8th?

August 8th is when I would go.

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.